Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with choosing parts!

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 8, 2011 10:20:04 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: probably around christmas or later

Budget Range: around 1000 (computer only)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: i want it to be capable of gaming but not like a complete gaming computer

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: probably new egg but if theres better ones, please recommend!

Country: U.S.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Explain what it is?

Monitor Resolution: idk about resolution but around 22 to 24 inch

Additional Comments: itd be nice if it was quiet cuz im gonna put it in my room..and id like a window...

heres what i got so far:
Graphics card-EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1372-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video card - $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 - $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 - $320
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SSD (Will probably buy an extra hard drive later on if i need one)- Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F180GB3-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Power + case -CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active and Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 330
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Can u guys recommend anything that i should cut down on and what to get for motherboard? And do sound cards make a lot of difference when listening to music (not gaming)? if so, can u guys recommend one based on my budget?
I would like any recommendations and whether the stuff listed will work together, thanks! :) 

More about : choosing parts

December 9, 2011 4:20:17 AM

Well with the parts you listed your already at $1175.00. I'd look at this GTX 460 at tigerdirect- $159.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Corsair Force Series 3 (why spend $80 on 60 more gbs) $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And you should choose your motherboard before the memory and make sure the memory is compatible with your mobo. A lot of the "New Build, No Post" threads wouldn't exist if they'd made sure of Board/Ram compatibility. I won't recommend a specific board but I will recommend going with a Z68 board with UEFI bios.
m
0
l
December 9, 2011 11:16:00 PM

tinmann said:
Well with the parts you listed your already at $1175.00. I'd look at this GTX 460 at tigerdirect- $159.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Corsair Force Series 3 (why spend $80 on 60 more gbs) $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And you should choose your motherboard before the memory and make sure the memory is compatible with your mobo. A lot of the "New Build, No Post" threads wouldn't exist if they'd made sure of Board/Ram compatibility. I won't recommend a specific board but I will recommend going with a Z68 board with UEFI bios.


I found ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
will this be compatible with everything...
and also i might have to go over my budget a little...

and for the power supply, theres are two deals with this power supply
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W 80+ Bronze
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
($265 with the case)
and CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
($330 with the case)
the more expensive one is gold and 850 w and the other is bronze with 750 w...which do u recommend?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 9, 2011 11:35:42 PM

sli or cf is when you connect two or more video cards together for improved performance.
seems like gtx 460 is a little low for your budget
also 2600k only required if you run alot of multithreaded progs
and your PSu is way overkill for your system
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 1:27:37 AM

madchemist83 said:
sli or cf is when you connect two or more video cards together for improved performance.
seems like gtx 460 is a little low for your budget
also 2600k only required if you run alot of multithreaded progs
and your PSu is way overkill for your system


what do u mean gtx 460 is a little low? does that mean i should get a better or cheaper one?

Theres another deal where the case comes with this psu
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W 80+ Bronze
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
($265 with the case)
is this more suitable?
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 1:35:09 AM

yes get better video card
that PSU is great but I would suggest getting cheaper case and putting money towards better GPU
what is ur resolution?
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 1:46:35 AM

madchemist83 said:
yes get better video card
that PSU is great but I would suggest getting cheaper case and putting money towards better GPU
what is ur resolution?


is GPU graphics card?
what card would u recommend then?
im thinking of 1920 x 1080 and 22 or 23 inch
something under 200 like ASUS MS236H or Samsung SyncMaster B2230...any suggestions?

btw with the current choices so far, would i be able to run battlefield and MW3 well?
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 2:05:25 AM
December 10, 2011 2:11:10 AM

madchemist83 said:
yes GPU is video card
depending on your budget for 1080p resolution u want at least 560Ti / HD 6950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
yes u can run it but not at high settings


wait can i run it with the gpu i picked? and the 560ti is a little out of my budget tho...
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 2:43:17 AM

yes but not on high settings
m
0
l
!