Pc wont boot with more than 1 stick of memory

eric281980

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hello,
I have an asus board M3A-H/HDMI mother board, I am trying to install memory I have 4 sticks of 1 gb kingston hyper x pc2-8500 memory, with one stick installed by itself it boots fine with more than one the pc comes on and does not even boot what can i do to fix this? trying to upgrade memory so i can install windows 8 running win 7 64 bit now please help

DePlane

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Does your motherboard support quad-channel ram?

merkz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Your memory and your mobo are compatible with each other according to ASUS. Are you placing the sticks correctly by A1 and A2, I would attempt to run just 2 at first in that configuration.

Also have you run Memtest86 on each individual stick and running them in dual channel, the memory could just be erroring.

eric281980

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
i ran mem test and it says all 4 slots passed any other reasons the pc wont boot with all 4 sticks? here is the info i got from cpuz
processor amd phenom x4 9600 black edition
mobo asus m3a-h/hdmi chipset amd780g southbridge amd sb700 lpcio ite it8716
bios american megatrends inc. version 1402 date 3/31/2009
memory ddr2 channels single
spd shows all 4 slots but only one memory stick in currently installed
otherwise it wont boot
memory type module size 1024 MBytes kingston p/n khx8500d2k2/2gn max bandwith pc2/6400 (400MHz)
graphics nvidia geforce 8800gt

i was just wondering since the memory only shows single channel how do i change it to dual channel? or would i have to change it?

ilikemoneygreen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only
**When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed
memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
You should try putting in one stick at a time in the slot that has already worked. boot it 4 times each time with a new stick. Make sure to check to see if 1GB gets read every time.This will tell you if your sticks are downright bad. If they all check out, then something is clearly wacky.
This might help your order in ram if all of them check out. it from the manual.
your memory has A and C marked.

A* : Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
B* : Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
C* : Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

and yes, they spelled either wrong.

7munkee

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Try to reset your BIOS. Unplug the power and remove the side cover. You should see a battery. Remove the battery and look for your BIOS jumpers. You may need magnification because they are oftenvery small to see. You ant to remove the jumper and short it out. Then replace you battery,side cover, and plug you rsystem in. I had the exact same problem and Im running as ASUS m3a770 and this worked for me. Check your motherboard manuel for the location of your BIOS pins.