Gtx 560 ti 2gb vs hd 6950 2gb

legit3

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I am trying to buy a new graphic card to play battlefield 3 at 1920x1080. I am choosing between gtx 560 ti 2gb and hd 6950 2gb. Which one is better? Thx!

laxidate

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Thanks for the benchmarks but every other benchmark test I've seen on the internet has said that 6950 outperforms 560 Ti, and especially in Xfire. Also, (Tom's hardware said) it performs almost on par with the 6990 which is around $750.
here is a hierarchy chart for all cards...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/3DMark11-Enthusiast,2660.html
I mean yes, they aren't the best but they are the best for the money. Especially since I don't want to spend $200 more dollars to get a 5 framerate boost. or spend $500 more and get a 10-15 framerate boost when these 2 cards will play a game at 80Fps (for example) already. Why would I even need to play it at 95, for an extra $500? I'm looking for is to get the most graphically demanding games that I play to at least 60fps, and these cards will do just fine.
However I would like to implement PhysX for the extra beauty. And I've seen the guides to do it but they are all over a year old with (currently) outdated cards (At least from what I've found).

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I also like ati because of Eyefinity. It gives it total advantage over nvidia video cards.
People like nvidia because of better drivers. But i haven't had a problem with Ati's drivers yet. Also because of physx. Which i've only really seen being valuable in one game; Batman. Lol

@Djentleman

Why do you love eyeinfinity so much when with a 6850 eyeinfinity will mostly be a slideshow....?

Furthermore, Nvidia has 3d surround, which requires sli but the bottom line is that you will need a decent sli or crossfire setup to run triple monitors so I see no advantage there for AMD aside from gpus with 2GB of vram when you are running triple 1080p screens or higher no doubt you will likely benefit fromt he extra vram.... but personally that would be a big enough advantage for me to not sli my current gtx 560ti (if I were to go the triple monitor route personally)

have you ever played metro 2033? physX is absolutley stunning in that game but I admit that physx for most people is just a performance killer, the visuals are cool but I can suffice without them and there are plenty of physics heavy games that look stunning with there own dedicated physics engine ie frosbite 3.0

I agree that Batman is cool with Physx but Ive never really had a dedicated phyx card to crank it to the maximum and it still be satisfyingly playable

Arg.... thats my 2 cents on the matter anyhow, back to nba 2k12

laxidate

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Sorry i put this in the wrong fourm...

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
@jj
It wouldn't be a slide show lol. Yes with 1080p, but if you were going with a res of 1024*768 with three monitors; You'd be fine. Maybe not MAX settings, but good luck finding MAX settings and not pay an arm and a leg. Especially for eyefinity

corpnothing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
There is absolutely no reason to buy the 2GB model of the GTX 560 Ti unless you plan on buying two to run in SLI, which can readily outperform a GTX 580 or an HD 5970 and, if I'm not mistaken, compete pretty evenly with a single HD 6990. If you decide to go with the GTX 560 Ti SLI setup, I'd recommend this card -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127608
Although it is currently sold out.

Here are some benchmarks for the 1GB version in SLI -
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/21/msi_n560gtx_ti_twin_frozr_ii_oc_sli_review/

The 6950 CrossFireX setup had a huge advantage over the GTX 560 Ti SLI setup at higher resolutions with anti-aliasing, in part because of its extra 1GB of VRAM. So, if Hardocp or Tom's Hardware or Techpowerup or whoever ran a series of benchmarks for this new 2GB GTX 560 Ti card in SLI, I wonder whether that would still be the case. I have read that the limited memory bandwidth of the GTX 560 Ti compared to, say, the GTX 570 or 580 means that the full 2GB of VRAM isn't fully utilized when playing games that would require all of that memory to begin with.

--

The common argument is that, if you are looking to upgrade your GPU setup, there's really no reason to go out of your way to buy two separate cards (GTX 560 Ti SLI) to get marginally better performance than a more powerful single card (GTX 580) in the same exact price range ($450-550 USD). If saves you the hassle of having to worry about SLI driver issues, and allows for the possibility for adding a second higher-tier card later on.