Sign in with
Your question

Want to purchase PC350's with Asus Xonar...

Last response: in Components
March 13, 2012 10:31:51 PM

Hey guys - question here:

I'm in the market for a pair of headphones and I've narrowed my search down to the Sennheiser PC350's. After looking around, I noticed that the headphones have the option of coming packaged with the Asus Xonar Xense sound card. I've also read that to get the most out of the headphones, the card is pretty much required (which I'm cool with)

I've currently got a Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard and two Geforce 560ti GPU's. I currently DO have sound, I'm just not sure if it's from the on board or the Geforce (GPU is currently hooked up through HDMI)

Question is: Do I necessarily need the Asus Xonar Xense or will the GPU suffice? (Do you even get sound from a video card?)

I apologize for the "nub"-ery, I'm just trying to get things sorted out.

tldr; Do I need to purchase the PC350's WITH the Asus Xonar Xense packaged in and/or do my GPU's produce enough sound, if that's where I'm getting my sounds from in the first place? O_o I sound like a re-re.
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 14, 2012 12:08:23 PM

Hello u4icsmith;

Depending on which model of Asus P8Z68-V you have - (I'm thinking you have the Gen3?)
you're getting your sound through the motherboard audio chipset:
Realtek ALC887 for the P8Z68-V LX
Realtek ALC892 for the P8Z68-V L LE or P8Z68-V Gen3

You definitely do not need to purchase the Asus Xonar Xense package to use the headphones.
It's also likely that getting the Xonar Xense package would improve some aspects of your audio experience.

How much of an audiophile are you?
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:10:30 PM

WR2 said:
Hello u4icsmith;

Depending on which model of Asus P8Z68-V you have - (I'm thinking you have the Gen3?)
you're getting your sound through the motherboard audio chipset:
Realtek ALC887 for the P8Z68-V LX
Realtek ALC892 for the P8Z68-V L LE or P8Z68-V Gen3

You definitely do not need to purchase the Asus Xonar Xense package to use the headphones.
It's also likely that getting the Xonar Xense package would improve some aspects of your audio experience.

How much of an audiophile are you?

Hey WR2, thanks for the reply.

Regarding your audiophile question, I'm not terribly picky when it comes to sound. It's more about the cost for me. Don't get me wrong, I love clear, loud sound but I'm gonna try my hardest to get it for as little money as possible - and I "think" I've done a good job with the PC350's and Asus Xonar Xense.

My main concern is, will the headphones sound like garbage without the soundcard? Or will the soundcard add a nice punch.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 15, 2012 12:54:09 AM

What's the price differential of buying the sound card in the package and buying it alone?
If it's not much - you might want to take a chance on testing the on-board sound with the headphones and see if it's what you want. If it is - you save the cost of the sound card.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 15, 2012 11:20:52 AM

The PC350's can NOT be driven properly without a headphone amp, which is one of the main features of the Xense. It is unlikely you will find a deal better then the Xense/PC350.

That being said, the PC350s are not particularly bass heavy. Granted, Sennheiser doesn't ramp up the bass to unrealistic levels like other brands, so if you want accurate levels of bass, then the PC350's are fine. But if you love ungodly levels of base, a headset like the Beyerdynamic DT770's may be more up your alley.
m
l
!