Your question

Whats the problem? Motherboard or Ram? Help urgent!q

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • RAM
  • Compatibility
Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2013 5:11:16 PM

My recently purchased Asus P8Z68-V. It is failing to run with both my sticks of RAM installed. My RAM is not a compatible set corsair vengeance cml8gx3m2a1600c9.The ram only works in b3 slot, i can't use both slots so can't run 2 sticks of ram and no other slots can run a stick of ram.

So is it motherboard or Ram, should i be looking to get a new motherboard on warrenty or be buying certified compatible ram?

More about : whats problem motherboard ram urgent

a c 559 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:27:34 PM

Hi, It looks like a bent pins issue. I suggest testing firstly the board outside the case. If still the same, uninstall the CPU and check the CPU socket for bent pins.
January 18, 2013 5:29:50 PM

A bent pin where? In the ram slot? sorry pretty inexperienced.
Related resources
a c 559 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:31:51 PM

No, the CPU socket (where the CPU is seated).
January 18, 2013 5:33:22 PM

Oh really? Why would it be a problem there? I thought it would be with the ram. I'll test either today or tomorrow and hope all if well. Should i just bend pins back? or get a new motherboard (on warranty)
a c 559 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:37:55 PM

The memory controller is integrated in the CPU.
A short can also create such issues, that's why I suggested testing the board firstly outside the case.
Sometimes the pins can be straightened, but probably it would be better RMA-ing the board.
January 18, 2013 5:39:08 PM

Ok thanks a bunch, I'll post results once ive tested :) 
January 18, 2013 5:48:54 PM

Try testing both sticks individually. If 1 doesn't work, then it's the RAM. If both work by themselves, then it's the m-board.
January 19, 2013 4:41:37 PM

Ok so i got my hands on a P8P67-V PRO, and ran some tests as well as doing the tests on the z68 board as suggested. We found no bent pins on the z68 so started testing on the p67.

We found that both ram slots work just not in A1 and B1, so they both work in the last two slots together, so no longer only working separately. I now think that the problem lies in the RAM not in the motherboards, agreed?
!