Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • ASrock
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:14:33 PM

I am going to replace a bad motherboard in an old computer http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328794-30-blew
I was thinking of an ASRock G41M-S3 because it fits the old CPU socket and seems to support the old
533MHz FSB.

It looks like I will need some new ram because the current sticks are DDR2 and the new motherboard takes DDR3.

two questions:
The motherboard manual (ftp://europe.asrock.com/manual/G41M-S3.pdf) mentions when using 533 MHz FSB, to use 800MHz ram which is quite uncommon now. Can I use 1066 MHZ ram instead?

Also, do any special steps need to be taken with Windows Vista after replacing the motherboard?

More about : 1066mhz memory 800mhz board

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b δ ASRock
a c 237 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 8:31:09 PM

1066MHz RAM will work fine. As long as it is DDR3.

Vista may need a fresh install. You can try getting around this by doing a Windows Repair from a windows disk, that should replace files so that you do not lose your whole windows installation.

If you do get into the windows without a repair, I would suggest removing all drivers manually, doing a registry sweep, restart and install from new mobo disk.

BUT I am wondering, why are you spending money on a socket 775 system? You could replace the board and CPU and RAM to modern system and it would not cost much more. You are due for an upgrade anyway.
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 10:33:18 PM

Thanks for the response.
Novuake said:
1066MHz RAM will work fine. As long as it is DDR3.

Sounds good. I will go with the 1066 then.
Quote:

Vista may need a fresh install. You can try getting around this by doing a Windows Repair from a windows disk, that should replace files so that you do not lose your whole windows installation.

Might be a problem because I do not know where the disk is after nearly 6 years.
Quote:

If you do get into the windows without a repair, I would suggest removing all drivers manually, doing a registry sweep, restart and install from new mobo disk.

Might have issues with Microsoft licensing junk too.
Quote:

BUT I am wondering, why are you spending money on a socket 775 system? You could replace the board and CPU and RAM to modern system and it would not cost much more. You are due for an upgrade anyway.
[/quote]
Quote:

Because a new CPU would put increase the price even more. I am trying to salvage what I can considering money is tight.
Score
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b δ ASRock
a c 237 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 10:36:28 PM

smeezekitty said:
Thanks for the response.

Because a new CPU would put increase the price even more. I am trying to salvage what I can considering money is tight.

Money spent wisely is better than money spent and wasted. But I get that you would at least need the PC in use.

You could get the correct version of windows and form a site or maybe from a friend, just to perform the repair.
Lets hope that is not necessary though. If the repair fails, you will need to buy a new windows.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 11:08:24 PM

Novuake said:
Money spent wisely is better than money spent and wasted. But I get that you would at least need the PC in use.

Point taken. But, I am kind of a noob so I don't know much other than trying to put a similar board as to what is in there.
Quote:

You could get the correct version of windows and form a site or maybe from a friend, just to perform the repair.
Lets hope that is not necessary though. If the repair fails, you will need to buy a new windows.

I may have a copy of Vista somewhere but I am not sure.
I do not really want to buy a new copy of windows but if I have to, I will probably go with W7 while I can since W8 seems to stink.
[/quotemsg]
Score
a b } Memory
a b δ ASRock
a c 237 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 11:39:23 PM

smeezekitty said:
Point taken. But, I am kind of a noob so I don't know much other than trying to put a similar board as to what is in there.
Quote:

Quote:

I may have a copy of Vista somewhere but I am not sure.
I do not really want to buy a new copy of windows but if I have to, I will probably go with W7 while I can since W8 seems to stink.

Yeah I would agree, Win8 is not THAT bad, but its too much change, too fast.

Consider saving up for a new board AND CPU.
[/quotemsg]
Score
January 19, 2013 4:13:11 AM

wait, why are you using vista?
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:36:37 AM

mansfield said:
wait, why are you using vista?

Because this computer is from 2007
Score
January 19, 2013 4:39:17 AM

oh, vista is a rare occurrence. might want to get windows 7, you will see a big performance boost just from changing OS
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:54:03 AM

mansfield said:
oh, vista is a rare occurrence. might want to get windows 7, you will see a big performance boost just from changing OS

I agree. This laptop is running 7 and it is very fast and easy to work. Vista is pretty marginal. If I need to buy a new copy of Windows (sigh) it will be 7.
Score
January 19, 2013 4:58:05 AM

you could get it for free, but of course I can't condone that.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 5:12:46 AM

mansfield said:
you could get it for free, but of course I can't condone that.

Uhh.. I will try to avoid that if possible. I avoid obtaining anything like "that" even if microsoft's licensing requirements are unreasonable.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 1:06:42 AM

Best answer selected by smeezekitty.
Score