Sign in with
Your question

Desktop cannot connect but laptop can??

Last response: in Networking
January 7, 2011 1:16:08 AM

My desktop is connected to the same wireless network as my laptop yet my laptop has connection while my desktop does not. The desktop might actually be connected directly do a router (says 'local area connection 2 connected' right now but still no connection). I checked other posts on other websites that say to post all this command-prompt information that i cant necessarily access because i do not know the administrator password. I hope someone has had this problem and can provide a solution!

Happy to provide further info about my computer to help find the answer.

More about : desktop connect laptop

January 7, 2011 1:18:54 AM

There also this virus called 'antivirus 2010' that pops up every time i start the computer up but it has not been an issue... until now? maybe it progressed aha
Related resources
January 7, 2011 4:17:36 PM

Download "malwarebytes" (on your laptop, and transfer it to the infected machine/ Flash drive, CD, any media), install, and run a scan. It will probably prompt you to reboot so it can remove the entire virus. After it reboots run another scan, keep running scanns till it is gone.

With that virus I had to run 4 scans to get it completely removed. If its not clean by the 4th scan. reboot, after POST tap F8 till you see "Safe Mode", choose that option. Then run the scans in safe mode, till you get a clean scan.

If you internet still does not work, check IE settings and make sure the LAN settings are correct and they did not change it to a proxy.

IE settings are clean, I would delete the NIC in device manager, and reinstall it.

Best of luck!
January 7, 2011 8:48:33 PM

okay thank you very much!

I'll let you know how the scans go but I DONT necessarily know how to check IE

settings and how to know what LAN settings are correct.. would need a guide for that :\
January 7, 2011 10:30:53 PM

okay here is what happened:

Running it from both normal and safe mode it would run for about 7 to 11 seconds then just exit out completely.. I get this error when i try to re-run the program: 'windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to acces the item.' I'm running the computer as the ADMINISTRATOR.

Could the virus be the cause of this error THROUGH SAFE MODE? i dont know.. please help
January 7, 2011 10:53:30 PM

I'm beginning to think that this whole internet deal has nothing to do with a virus..
so is there anything that i could check / edit that could identify what is wrong?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2011 7:00:57 AM

Try this it's simple and quick.

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Then look at the router manual for how to access its user settings (you'll need to connect the computer to router by ethernet cable). Then check wireless mode matches your wireless adapter and try disabling wireless security temporarily. Also make sure that Access List (include/exclude by MAC ID) is disabled.
January 8, 2011 7:38:38 AM

You have mentioned "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to acces the item" this could mean an infection - anyway I suggest you do what filhart mentioned above, for me it's a good move. Please try it.
January 9, 2011 3:59:59 PM

I found the page with DNS/IP under control panel etc.. it also has a 'properties' button with the tabs 'general,dns,wins'

for IP there is the option of: "obtain an IP address automatically" or "Use the following IP address: then a box to type in an ip address"

for DNS there is an option of "Obtain DNS server address automatically" or "use the following DNS server adresses then 2 unfilled boxes called 'preferred and alternate dns server'"

Both IP and DNS are under the 'obtain' option
!