Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next day or two

Budget Range: $1000 - $1200 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, hdd, keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg unless better deals elsewhere

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: not now but I might down the road

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Think I have every thing I need picked out, but I wanted some more experienced people to check for dumb mistakes.

What I have picked out:

CPU/Mobo: Intel Core i5-2500K, ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 combo

GPU/ Memory: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) combo

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1

PSU: XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128N/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III

This puts me at ~$1150 right now. Would always be nice to save a bit more money, but I don't really wanna give up any of the features I have picked out.

Will a 750W PSU be enough if i decide to crossfire and do some overclocking in the future? Any overclocking would probably be pretty mild though.

Any thing else I may be missing or silly mistakes I might have made?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about first build input
  1. It looks good to me and 750w should be plenty. You will probobly be chastised by others who insist on the golden3 brands for psu but I have never had problems as long as 80+

I am an asus fan and prefer this board which you could get with your same processor albeit not in a bundle but for roughly the same total cost

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

total of $390 as opposed to your $384 bundle

Asus has a better and longer reputation of quality and as well I have heard complaints of memory issues with some of the azrock gen3 boards

If you watch the video on the board you will see all of the great features. I am speaking with experience as I have this board and love it.

What have you for ram?
    consider http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Channel-240-Pin-BL2CP51264BA160A/dp/B004UQ1KK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323407287&sr=8-1

1600 is the sweet spot for ram as any higher mhz really doesn't give that much more performance. This is what I picked but there are many good brands to choose from.
  2. Thanks for the reply.

I have heard that the XFX PSUs are pretty much just rebranded Seasonic and are usually pretty good. I did a little checking and seems to have good reviews.

I'll have to think about the board, that asus rob board looks pretty nice. I'd lose a bit of potential upgradeability in losing the PCIe 3.0 slots, but not really sure if that's worth worrying about or not.

for ram I do have CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 in a combo with my GPU.
  3. Yeah, by the time pci 3.0 comes mainstream with all of the bugs worked out and cards developed with their bugs worked out and then giving a little time for prices to drop to affordable, you will probobly be ready to rebuild anyway.

I mean who knows if the 3.0 slots on the asrock board will even work for 3.0 until some cards start surfacing. Nothing to check it with means blind buying >

That is good ram
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product