Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next day or two

Budget Range: $1000 - $1200 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, hdd, keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg unless better deals elsewhere

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: not now but I might down the road

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Think I have every thing I need picked out, but I wanted some more experienced people to check for dumb mistakes.

What I have picked out:

CPU/Mobo: Intel Core i5-2500K, ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 combo

GPU/ Memory: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) combo

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1

PSU: XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128N/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III

This puts me at ~$1150 right now. Would always be nice to save a bit more money, but I don't really wanna give up any of the features I have picked out.

Will a 750W PSU be enough if i decide to crossfire and do some overclocking in the future? Any overclocking would probably be pretty mild though.

Any thing else I may be missing or silly mistakes I might have made?
Thanks

More about : build input

December 9, 2011 3:11:21 AM

It looks good to me and 750w should be plenty. You will probobly be chastised by others who insist on the golden3 brands for psu but I have never had problems as long as 80+

I am an asus fan and prefer this board which you could get with your same processor albeit not in a bundle but for roughly the same total cost

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

total of $390 as opposed to your $384 bundle

Asus has a better and longer reputation of quality and as well I have heard complaints of memory issues with some of the azrock gen3 boards

If you watch the video on the board you will see all of the great features. I am speaking with experience as I have this board and love it.

What have you for ram?
consider http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Channel-240-Pin...

1600 is the sweet spot for ram as any higher mhz really doesn't give that much more performance. This is what I picked but there are many good brands to choose from.
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:32:59 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard that the XFX PSUs are pretty much just rebranded Seasonic and are usually pretty good. I did a little checking and seems to have good reviews.

I'll have to think about the board, that asus rob board looks pretty nice. I'd lose a bit of potential upgradeability in losing the PCIe 3.0 slots, but not really sure if that's worth worrying about or not.

for ram I do have CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 in a combo with my GPU.
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:42:34 AM

Yeah, by the time pci 3.0 comes mainstream with all of the bugs worked out and cards developed with their bugs worked out and then giving a little time for prices to drop to affordable, you will probobly be ready to rebuild anyway.

I mean who knows if the 3.0 slots on the asrock board will even work for 3.0 until some cards start surfacing. Nothing to check it with means blind buying >

That is good ram
m
l
!