Best 560 Ti/6950 for the price?

Syndicat3

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hi all,

I sold my Radeon 4890. I play at 1440x900 and I was considering the GTX 570 but I don't think I need that especially with the new generation of cards around the corner.

So, I've narrowed it down to the GTX 560 Ti and the Radeon 6950. I want to get a card that I can overclock a lot for best possible performance.

I've heard good things about the Gigabyte cards and the MSi Twin Frozr II, but what's your opinions?

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
If you are considering saving money, I would go with something like a 6870. Right now you can get one from newegg for about $150 after MIR. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948.

At your resolution, this is going to be the best card for your price wise. The 560ti was meant to run games at 1080p without much issue, so for what you are doing and what you want, its way overkill. This 6870 (or 560 (non ti) if you want nvidia) will last you a very long time at your resolution and is very very overclock friendly. It also comes with a free game that you can sell on ebay if you don't want it and get some more money back. Its going to be the best card for your current setup and you will be saving over $50 on it.

This way you don't have to wait till november and you can just SLi these when the price comes down even further.

^6870 crossfire produces putrid microstutter, I know first hand and abandoned those puppies a long time ago, fine for a single gpu bu tI wouldnt touch midrange crossfire with a ten foot pole... did you read the article that toms published about a month ago on this matter?

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I would wait closer to December and see what other cards comes out, and see if maybe the 560 Ti's will drop in price.

In the meantime, if you really can't wait, then go for the 6870 or 560 at the cheaper price. They'll play wonderfully at your resolution.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Here is the problem with perceived microstutter... I have owned 2 different 6870 Xfire setups and have experience ABSOLUTELY NO microstutter. I did read the Tom's guide on it, and honestly, they emphasized that some people just don't notice it while other people do. So I will stick with me recommendation about geting a single 6870 for now and then upgrading to either Xfire or a new card when the 6870 starts struggling at that resolution (a long time from now).

@ Phishy

so you have owned two 6870 crossfire setups? that doesnt make much sense to me why would anyone own 2 6870 crossfire setups and not own them currently, its not like the cards are old!? You run a 9800gt according according to your sig, Im quite sure that if you owned it then you would inevitable notice the microstuttering at least a bit