Right-click after opening Start Menu (SP2)

August 24, 2004 5:51:44 PM

Hello All:

Here's the sequence that doesn't work after installing SP2:-

1) Left-click on Start button - works OK.
2) Right-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - doesn't work.
3) Left-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - works ok.
4) Right-click on any program in All Programs - doesn't work.

I've checked my context menu in the registry for non-MS shell
extensions. Disabled a couple - still doesn't work.

The funny thing is, I've two computers (one PC and one Laptop) with
almost identical configurations. The Laptop works everywhere but the PC
doesn't work as above.

I'd be really grateful for some help and solution to this.

Kind regards,
Russel
August 24, 2004 5:51:45 PM

This is a common symptom of having Divx or some other programs installed. A
spyware removal program, I forget the name (spysweeper maybe), also does
this. Have a look at what you have installed to see what differs between
these 2 machines.

"Nospam Please" wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Here's the sequence that doesn't work after installing SP2:-
>
> 1) Left-click on Start button - works OK.
> 2) Right-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - doesn't work.
> 3) Left-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - works ok.
> 4) Right-click on any program in All Programs - doesn't work.
>
> I've checked my context menu in the registry for non-MS shell
> extensions. Disabled a couple - still doesn't work.
>
> The funny thing is, I've two computers (one PC and one Laptop) with
> almost identical configurations. The Laptop works everywhere but the PC
> doesn't work as above.
>
> I'd be really grateful for some help and solution to this.
>
> Kind regards,
> Russel

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 7:52:19 PM

I have the same setup on both machines ... no Divx but the same spy
removers ... Ad Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyware Blaster. On
the PC, though, I _did_ have a program known as DirPrn, which I removed.
But it hasn't helped. I hope somebody can help me find a cure for this
irritant, because, other than this, SP2 rocks!

Thanks again.
Russel

Giga wrote:
> This is a common symptom of having Divx or some other programs installed. A
> spyware removal program, I forget the name (spysweeper maybe), also does
> this. Have a look at what you have installed to see what differs between
> these 2 machines.
>
> "Nospam Please" wrote:
>

>>Hello All:
>>
>>Here's the sequence that doesn't work after installing SP2:-
>>
>>1) Left-click on Start button - works OK.
>>2) Right-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - doesn't work.
>>3) Left-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - works ok.
>>4) Right-click on any program in All Programs - doesn't work.
>>
>>I've checked my context menu in the registry for non-MS shell
>>extensions. Disabled a couple - still doesn't work.
>>
>>The funny thing is, I've two computers (one PC and one Laptop) with
>>almost identical configurations. The Laptop works everywhere but the PC
>>doesn't work as above.
>>
>>I'd be really grateful for some help and solution to this.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>Russel

August 24, 2004 11:11:35 PM

Have you enabled Drag n Drop in Start's Properties

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Nospam Please" <nospam@all.please> wrote in message news:o 62e9MbiEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hello All:
>
> Here's the sequence that doesn't work after installing SP2:-
>
> 1) Left-click on Start button - works OK.
> 2) Right-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - doesn't work.
> 3) Left-click on any menu choice on Start Menu - works ok.
> 4) Right-click on any program in All Programs - doesn't work.
>
> I've checked my context menu in the registry for non-MS shell
> extensions. Disabled a couple - still doesn't work.
>
> The funny thing is, I've two computers (one PC and one Laptop) with
> almost identical configurations. The Laptop works everywhere but the PC
> doesn't work as above.
>
> I'd be really grateful for some help and solution to this.
>
> Kind regards,
> Russel
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:38:06 PM

David Candy wrote:
> Have you enabled Drag n Drop in Start's Properties

Brilliant! I enabled it and the dashed thing worked!
Many thanks, David.

Regards,
Russel
!