pillbinge

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey there. I recently put together a rig for myself (though I need to go and buy SATA cables from my HDD, SSD, and CD Drive ...).

I did a pretty good job, I think. However, one thing has me somewhat scared.

When I put the i5 2500k into the socket and closed the plate, I heard what was sort of like a crunching sound. Very soft, though. Like something was being bent. I went online and watched some videos of this specific CPU being installed on motherboards, and I heard it in those too I think.

Am I being paranoid?

I did not put any pressure at all on the CPU. I carefully placed it in correctly. I was even hesitant to do close it (this is my first time) because of the sounds, but there was no way around it.

Any feedback or info would be appreciated.

CPU's generally do not make any sounds unless you overclocked too much and it starts to enter it's nuclear chain reaction phase. In that case you don't need to worry about it because you'll be dead as a result of the nuclear explosion.

It's hard to judge what the sound could be. Perhaps it a wire that is brushing up against a fan? But that usually makes a buzzing noise.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

So whay happened? When you fired it up for the first time, does it works?
That sound is just the metal plate(LGA 1155 socket)with the lock against the CPU. Don't worry about it.

pillbinge

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I did fire it up and it worked. Thing is, I don't have an HDD or SSD connected so nothing actually happened.

If that sound is just the metal plate with the lock against the CPU, I won't worry, because that's what I thought it was. I thought that I had somehow bent all the pins below it. Didn't sound like a friendly noise.