Sign in with
Your question

New GAMING build, need HELP ($1000 budget)

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2011 2:05:01 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: January 15th

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: I have all the essentials including monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg I guess? I have no idea to be honest.

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: No preferences

Overclocking: Possibly?

SLI or Crossfire: No Idea

Monitor Resolution: I forget :p 

Additional Comments: Strictly a gaming computer, I will want to run diablo 3 on the highest settings.
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2011 10:52:20 AM

CPU: i5 2500k $220
Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD65 Gen3 $190
Mem: Gskill/Corsair 2x4GB 1.5V Cas9 1600Mhz kit $50
GPU: GTX560Ti or Radeon 6950 1GB $220
DVD: Asus 24x DVD $20
HDD: Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB $150
Case: Antec 300 illusion and up $50+ when on sale
PSU: Antec/Corsair/Silverstone/Seasonic/XFX $500W+ $70+ up to about 750W if you want to SLI/Crossfire $110

= roughly $1000

Optionally if you don't need the HDD space at the moment and can wait on it for later when prices eventually drop
Sandforce based 120GB SSD in the ~$150-170 range ( OCZ agility 3, Corsair Force 3, OCZ Vertex 3 etc )

6870 actually runs diablo 3 at max settings in 1680x1050. So even with a full hd display the ones i suggested should be fine.
If you need Win7 as well then you might have to tweak the above a bit and look for some sales, but generally it's doable.
m
l
December 9, 2011 7:37:32 PM

Thank you for your reply, I have a windows ultimo cd so I'll be find without paying for one.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2011 9:18:26 PM

I agree with the suggested build by rvilkman, but would like to add a few comments about some recommendations.

I would not recommend a SLI/crossfire setup at this point, there are some considerations that you will probably not want to take into account at this time. For example: you generally need at least 750W to get a PSU with 4 pcie 6x2 adapters which is what you need for two video cards). You will need a mobo capable of pcie x8/x8 in dual mode. You can definitely save some money up front though if you go with a lower wattage power supply. 80+ bronze certified power supplies cost a little extra but I think it's safer to not go cheap on this one. I would recommend at least 600W for longevity. Also SLI crossfire setups suffer from microstuttering, which you can read an article about on tom's.

Hard Drives are twice the price they normally are, so it's probably a good time to buy an SSD. Many 120gb drives cost around 200 dollars. They will help with load times, and in "open world" games you should notice less framerate loss when rendering new areas. I would say generally SSDs cut your boot times and load times in half, which is much more than you will get out of most upgrades. Later on you can purchase additional storage if needed. Make sure if you get an SSD you set your BIOS to AHCI mode before installing windows, otherwise you are not getting the full SSD experience.

If you are playing at 1900x1200, you are generally going to worry about a GPU bottleneck as opposed to a CPU, so any quad core part should be acceptable for most games. If you are not playing at 1900x1200 I would recommend purchasing a 23' or better monitor in the near future. Big resolutions gives you a game advantage as well as making the experience more immersive.

The I5 2005k is a great processor, and it will nearly guarantee that you will not run into a CPU bottleneck in a game. Honestly though, if it were me I would consider getting a phenom x4 955 ($120) if it would allow me some extra funds to get an SSD over an HDD. To be fair though, Blizzard games tend to run a bit better on intel chips, but we are usually talking about the difference between 60 and 80 fps, which i consider to be fairly negligible.

I rolled a 6870 for quite some time at 1900x1200 and upgraded to a 570 because some games were not giving me good framerates at max settings . I doubt you'll have this trouble with D3, but if you do decide you want to try some other games at my resolution, you might want to consider getting a 6970 or a 570, but otherwise the 6870 is a spot on recommendation.

Also, before you build, if you havent built before, or in a while, watch some youtube videos to make sure you know what to expect.
m
l
December 9, 2011 9:55:32 PM

Yeah see the worst part about it is I don't understand half of what you said. I 100% appreciate the AMAZING RESPONSE but I'm just too computer dumb when it comes down to it.
m
l
!