4870x2 and windows vista 64 bit

blackturboace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hi all,,

ordered a video card, the saphire 4870x2 from nextday pc. First of all, when i first ordered it, the sent me a receipt showing shipped. next week later I called, them saying it wasnt shipped and would be the next day. well a few days later, called again and found out it hadnt shipped. finally after 4 days later finally recieved the card. it was advertised as new. came in a box that was all plain, in a static bag that wasnt even tapped up. I had a 4870 card to begin with, unistalled the drivers.. put in the x2 card, loaded the drivers. Now vista locks up everytime it boots.. after a few mins, giving me a blue screen of death. with an error about ati.kampag.sys and some memory error codes..

I tried reinstalling the drivers, still the same thing. finally after several hours..did a total reinstall of windows vista 64 bit.

to my horror, its still do the same thing.. locks up booting windows, gives the same blue screen with error code.

I updated my bios and everything with no luck.The card works fine without the drivers loaded, but only in 16 bit color mode. I have a AMD 9850 chip, using a MSI k9a1cf motherboard. 4 gigs of ram, and 850 watt power supply..Somewon please help!!! Tell me what I should do next. Thanks..
Mark

blackturboace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
well they advertised it as new. the card appears to run normal, untill I load the ati 11.9 drivers, then it windows vista hangs up in middle of bootup and give the blue screen and the atikmpag.sys error. ive tried everything even a fresh install of vista 64 bit with service pack 2. i know its kinda a few years old, but it still would run any game decent, as my old 4870 card can play any game. still i think its something other than the card being shot. its still displaying video and normal fan operation. its been on for 4 hours so its not overheating..I hope somewon helps!!!

My only guess is the 11.9 driver revision isn't playing nice with your card. Did your card come with a driver disk? If so, try installing the drivers provided on the disk. If not, look for an older revision on AMD's website. If you get the same problem with older drivers, I'd say something is definitely wrong with the card.