2 cards doa

warjunkie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
hi i recently purchased a saphire 6770 from newegg and the card was defective on arrival , so i sent back for a replacment and well this one worked fine for 2 days and then the moniter started flickering and eventually locks up , which the first card did aswell . what i am wondering is if this is a video card issue or is there something in my computer causeing this ?
my specs are as follow's

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA785GM-US2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
with a 650 w psu , im realy at a loss have sent the 2nd card back for refund

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Also check your temps and make sure the card is getting enough airflow. The primary cause for artifacts on a GPU is heat and second is drivers, typically low amperage on 12v rail will just kill the card all together so definitely make sure you have enough amps and do not use PCI-E 12v adapters, only the plugs that come with the PS.

warjunkie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
@ dalauder it is 50 amps on the 12v rail and the card is getting enough flow hell ive had the side of the case off past day , and have been using the plugs that came with the psu , its a cooler master silent pro m600 i know its a few years old but it still should have enough to deal with the newer cards , sorry for saying it was 650 watts

Windows Update reloaded my page and cost me a longer response so you get this:

Flickering could be the monitor. Try another one.

Does the graphics only crash in Windows? Try the bios, Memtest86+, or Linux Mint (easier than you think w/ no install required).

Please describe the problem more thoroughly? Does it error out after a time or during load?

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I think your power supply is actually over-rated, try a new one.
Something like Corsair TX650, 750 or 850.

I have never had good luck with Cooler Master and one actually killed my GTX 280 out of warranty, will never buy Cooler Master again!

warjunkie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
The problem is i get the card uninstall old drivers install correct drivers and the card works fine for 2 days , i dont oc it or nothing , it is the saphire ati radeon 6770 vapor -x cooling , card works fine for 2 days no sign of trouble plays all games and everything on the second day the moniter flickers and eventually locks up with a solid grey or black screen with lines through it.