Dead Mobo or CPU

pspkr3w

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
First off I DID read that article everybody points to. I ran through every step problem still persists.
Second I read around and couldn't find anything that gave me a definite answer.

About a year ago my computer seemed to shut off (screen went black fan stopped) but my lights stayed on. So i unplugged the pc and plugged it back in and once i hit the power button I heard a quick spin of a fan then nothing.

Then I proceeded to open the system to see what had happened and everything looked normal including the capacitor's. I looked around and ran through the steps of removing the ram, and changing the psu. These did nothing.

In hopes of letting time solve my issue I brought back out the computer to see if time healed the issue. I got stuck with the same issue and again did all the steps above. After googling the issue further I looked into around 20 of similar issues and none of them solved anything.

When playing around trying to isolate the issue I originally thought it was a cpu issue because when I removed the 4 pin power connector to the cpu, the fans wouldn't stop spinning until I removed the power cable. I thought if power was circulating through the board without the cpu plugged in it must of been the cpu but I still did more research on this site before buying anything.

One post suggested making sure the board wasn't surging inside the case so i took it out and laid it on a cardboard box and it still posted the same results.

After that I ordered another CPU on amazon but then quickly canceled because I wasn't 100% sure. I decided to run one last test. I plugged the 4 pin connector in but removed the processor from the socket and the results where the quick spin of the fan and nothing else.

So I guess its a mobo problem since it seems like whenever the 4 pin connector is plugged in I get the quick spin of the fan with or without the processor in its socket but I'm not 100% sure.

I checked all my pins on the cpu some were bent slightly but i straightened them out with a credit card.

Based on what I stated above what do some of you guys think?

pspkr3w

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Thanks for the reply! It's probably 3 years our of warranty.