Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 No GPU Detected

Last response: in Motherboards
January 19, 2013 3:48:16 AM

Ok

Calm

I have read numerous, threads on this topic. A plethora of threads in fact. My setup is:

Asrock z77 Extreme 6
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2
HX Corsair 750W
i5-3570K
G.Skill 8GB (Sniper)

The graphics card is seated properly, latched in (with click) and screwed in at the end.

Now I don't know why or how this is so frequent however all I can say is I could not find a solution to this problem anywhere despite the huge amount of topics.

I Install the graphics card (in PCIE4 - still using PCI 3.0 1x16), I turn on the computer...
Dr Debug. d6/5 beeps, monitor remains blank. No signal detected.
I remove the graphics card, change to onboard graphics, install the graphics card and turn on the computer. Everything works, Onboard Video is a go, fans on EVGA GPU turn on, the only thing is I am NOT using it.

Then I restart and change PCIE4 Speed to Gen1 (I could not plug this particular graphics card into the PCIE2 (Primary) slot because the HDD Ports at the edge of the board prevent it from being seated properly.)
ANYways, this allows me to boot up still using onboard graphics except NOW the computer detects the card whereas up until now it didn't even see it.
I use this opportunity to install the drivers for the GPU as well as Direct x 10/11. I note the the drivers for the onboard video are still installed but pay no mind to them.

I finally take the chance to switch to PCI-Express for primary graphics!
Dr. Debug d6 / 5 beeps

I can't test the graphics card because this is the only computer I have. If the motherboard isn't recognizing it (only in Auto, as it does in Gen1) then I don't think it's the motherboard. I might have missed something but I d not know what.

I updated the BIOS to 1.70 but maybe I need to go higher for the MOBO to recognize a GTX 670. Anyways, thoughts? Ideas?

I bought the graphics card today and the MOBO is insured for 3 yrs. I REALLY don't want to RMA or send anything back if it's a fix I just am missing. I had a problem with the ram before and ALMOST RMA'd it before realizing that I just hadn't seated the RAM properly.

Since this is the first computer I am building there is a chance that I made a mistake somewhere. Everything else I installed worked fine. CPU, HDD, SSD, 2 extra fans, LED lights, Wireless Adapter, etc...

OH and the power supply cords being used are the ones that came with the PSU. The GPU did come with it's own power connecters but they used a molex plug (or that one that has 3/4 prongs and has a male front and female back. I would rather use the PCIE 8-Prong Plugs.

Thanks for any assistance.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:04:22 AM

Hmm... and you're positive you have the correct drivers for your card? (And, though it's stupid, that the monitor cord is plugged into the graphics card?)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:04:45 AM

either the psu, gpu or pci-e is faulty.

sorry that doesnt narrow it down. if you have access to known working hardware you can narrow it down yourself
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:07:49 AM

Alrighty, First off I though you should know you cannot run your card at PCI-E 3.0 16x on PCIE4 because if you look at this link (HERE) and go through the pictures, take a close look at the back of the board and notice how many pcie slots have a full set of solder points (only pcie2), PCIE4 is not a 16x slot, it is an 8x slots and it is not meant to be primary for your graphics card. Even if you can't get the card in PCIE2 to sit perfectly, your going to have to use it anyways because that slot is meant for the primary graphics card.

Hope this helps and good luck!
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:23:53 AM

ZeroWhite said:
Alrighty, First off I though you should know you cannot run your card at PCI-E 3.0 16x on PCIE4 because if you look at this link (HERE) and go through the pictures, take a close look at the back of the board and notice how many pcie slots have a full set of solder points (only pcie2), PCIE4 is not a 16x slot, it is an 8x slots and it is not meant to be primary for your graphics card. Even if you can't get the card in PCIE2 to sit perfectly, your going to have to use it anyways because that slot is meant for the primary graphics card.

Hope this helps and good luck!

So are you saying although it does not get locked in, I should still try to use it there anyways? (i havent tried that yet)
Also I see now what yoiu mean with the solder points. Would that really affect whether or not the mobo recognizes the GPU if it is the only one installed on the mobo?

I hate that the SATA 6.0GB connectors if you look for them on the board prevent the gpu from sitting properly on the board. Gah.

Thanks for your help guys, I will see if this resolves the issue.

I believe my drivers are correct as I installed them from the disc that came with the GPU.
And yes the monitor was plugged into the graphics card.

God I hope I am just a noob and nothing is faulty.

EDIT if I need to reply it will be from my iphone lolol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 559 V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:40:51 AM

You shouldn't start the board if the card doesn't sit properly in its slot.
Try taking the board outside the case, install the card in the PCIe2 and test. This way you'll know if the card does work or not.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:46:06 AM

As promised posting from iPhone. Well that was a fail. And it wouldn't matter if i took it out of the mobo or not, as the sata housing would still be in the way. Although now that i look closer its that steel z77 black chipset housing that is preventing it from sitting properly

Edit : wow am tired. Wouldnt matter if i took it out of the case.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:47:36 AM

alexoiu said:
You shouldn't start the board if the card doesn't sit properly in its slot.
Try taking the board outside the case, install the card in the PCIe2 and test. This way you'll know if the card does work or not.

I completely agree with your statement, but like he did state earlier it was something on the board that is interfering and not the case which leave little choice.

And yes Virion, Some motherboards will only run a single GPU in the primary PCI-E slot. It is very odd that the heatsink naturally gets in the way of the video card, and I do not want to see you damage any of your equipment but how close exactly is it from sitting completely in the slot?

January 19, 2013 4:51:03 AM

Breaking news i shoved the card down and moved the latch at the same time and it clicked in. I pray this works or i might cry (and go to bed)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 4:53:10 AM

Glad you were able to get it all the way down! Good luck :D 
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:01:34 AM

Omg gonna try to boot in gen1 speeds in that slot
m
l
January 19, 2013 2:44:41 PM

Ok do it finally worked!
For record-keeping!

BIOS Version - 2.3
PCIE Slot: PCIE2 (x16)
Drivers were installed prior to graphics card functionability!
PCIE2 Speed: Auto
Video Output on Monitor: SET THIS TO YOUR OUTPUT (it almost didn't work for me then I set it to HDMI)
Power: 2x 6pin connected to graphics card powered by PCIE labelled slots on PSU
PSU: 750w

Follow the steps I listed above if you have the same problem. Eventually it will work. Thanks for all of your help guys! Have a fantastic weekend.

Mark as solved: Zerowhite have the best answer!
m
l
January 19, 2013 3:39:03 PM

Best answer selected by Virion.
m
l
!