Sign in with
Your question

In game lag + cpu spike

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2012 9:35:02 AM

Basically i reformatted my computer a bit under 2 weeks ago due to computer starting to get a bit slow cause of all the files etc. And since the format I've been having a few problems.

When i play a game such as swtor (star wars the old republic) i get lag spikes basically.
I can play good perfectly with no lag for 10-15 seconds, then all of a sudden my latency skyrockets from 40 to 9999 and i get a huge cross through my connection, I cant move or see anything else move and my cpu goes from between 10 and 20% to 50 - 80%. After 5seconds or so of this i go back to normal gameplay, then this process repeats itself. (i have re updated my graphics card twice, once with automatic driver and once from the AMD website)

Before the reformat i didn't have any of these issues, so i am thinking that it might have something to do with a corrupt file or bad format. This problem happens for any game i run that uses the internet (but im mainly on swtor or LoL (league of legends) and it is completely annoying.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 965 processor
3.4ghz
64-bit OS
4gig ddr3 ram
Windows 7 Home premium
Radeon HD 6450 pciE 2.1 graphics card with 2GB ddr3 on board

I run Kaspersky internet security as my virus protection, (am installing malewarebytes as well (didn't get around to it till now), have done full scans to show no virus' or Trojans etc.

Let me know if their is anything else i have missed and what you think.

Thanks

More about : game lag cpu spike

a c 203 à CPUs
March 14, 2012 11:32:57 AM

Your gaming server could be causing the lag issue.
Have you tried different servers?

m
l
March 14, 2012 10:33:10 PM

WR2 said:
Your gaming server could be causing the lag issue.
Have you tried different servers?

Yep its not the servers as its not the normal lag issue of just being a second ur two behind, its an actual full stop of play for me.

But yes ive tried other servers.

Am now thinking that kaspersky might be stopping it as i just noticed that it is putting up a warning whenever i start a game of LoL or open up swtor. this is the error:

and if i disable kaspersky and reopen the game the issue is gone.

I have my games on the safelist and yet it is still coming up with this error, if anyone knows how to stop kaspersky from doing this, would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2012 10:39:38 PM

Put the exact directory of the LoL exe in your exclusions. Not the folder, but the file itself.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2012 10:52:56 PM

Ok let's clear up the lag issue first. If your latency is large it is network, isp, game server issue. Now I figure you can rule out your home network cause your smart enough to have checked the issue out by connecting directly to your modem and bypassing the router (right?). Second your AV might cause the effect but here again you can create a rule or exception. Also you can shut the AV down for a test. If large latency continues you can be sure it's source is outside your home and system. You can try resetting the router and changing servers but these usually do not correct the issue. Win 7 does a very good job of scaling mtu and rwin so fooling with those won't do it either. The cpu spike is just the system processing the large amount of "catch up" data that comes in after the delay. Sorry to say there is not a whole lot that can be done for server-isp side latency issues. You can call your isp and they may be able to check on it some will some will not. Who is your isp and what is your advertised bandwidth?
m
l
March 14, 2012 11:48:46 PM

Yer i do networking at uni and have checked all my cables, am directly into my modem etc.

The issue is either with my provider (telstra) or something to do with the configurations of my comp and its programs eg. Kaspersky not letting my games run properly.

I have been running kaspersky for 1 and 1/2 years now and the problem only stared 1-2weeks ago AFTER i reformatted my comp and re-installed my games + kaspersky.

Im currently on adsl 2+ with up to 24mb/s download speed (usually sits at 10-20)

I have rung telstra and they have tried fixing it from their end with only partial success (fixes it for a day or so before having the same problem again.

I have tried resetting my modem, have restored it to factory settings and have tried restarting it and my computer of which none are working or only work for an hour.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 3:23:53 AM

Try playing the game at various times of day. Include some off times for your region (very early or late times). If things are better it might indicate your dsl hub is getting maxed out during prime times.
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:57:41 AM

Dogsnake said:
Try playing the game at various times of day. Include some off times for your region (very early or late times). If things are better it might indicate your dsl hub is getting maxed out during prime times.

i have tried at all times of the day of which it does it no matter what time it is.

i am thinking i will completely reformat the computer again and see if that helps fix it. Didnt want to do it as it does take a while to dl all of my games again etc.
m
l
!