Your question

Problem with gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2011 10:43:13 AM

CPU :
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+

Graphics Card :
GeForce 9800 GT

I know im going to upgrade but thats all the specs i have. it can run BFBC2 on high perfectly

I was playing WoW and it froze, i hard rebooted and it froze again. now after about 5 minutes it freezes or when i move the mouse to fast or open multiple windows.

when i got this pc i had to run a movie in the background to prevent it to freeze. this is like the oppoisite

i would appriciate any help

More about : problem gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2011 12:53:43 PM

Freezing can be anything... I would start by using diagnostic tools that are free and easy to use.

For testing by pass any surge protectors or extension cords and plug the pc straight to the outlet.

Take the side off use canned air to blow out any dust and then check every wire and connection. Make sure nothing wiggled loose.

First run scan disk on the HD its built into windows. Check all the options and let it run on reboot.

Second if you have windows vista or 7 you can run the memorytest. Let it run for 2 passes it can take an hour. If you have windows xp download Microsoft memtest and make a memtest CD.

If the ram passes get core temp and run that little program. Make sure the CPU temp is under 70 or so.

If all that checks out get MSI afterburner to check on your video card temps.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2011 12:02:10 AM

And just to add to those suggestions please provide full specs.
Related resources
December 10, 2011 12:09:08 AM

Proximon said:
And just to add to those suggestions please provide full specs.

CPU :
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+

Graphics Card :
GeForce 9800 GT

MOBO:i belive it is ASUS n13219
i see that code in between the slots.

PSU:Nspire Power Supply NSP-450P4LF12 450W ATX2.0

Case:Tsunami Dream

RAM: 3GB DDR
December 10, 2011 12:13:49 AM

It's a poor PSU. I hope you are following the suggestions bucknutty gave, but since you are planning to upgrade anyway I would suggest an upgrade there as a first upgrade step.

Antec Neo Eco 520W is a good price on newegg.
December 10, 2011 12:18:43 AM

Proximon said:
It's a poor PSU. I hope you are following the suggestions bucknutty gave, but since you are planning to upgrade anyway I would suggest an upgrade there as a first upgrade step.

Antec Neo Eco 520W is a good price on newegg.

Allright thanks for the PSU recomandation but i can only shop at this store:http://www.canadacomputers.com/

Also i cannot use the suggestions Bucknutty provided yet because i have not yet set it up. hopefully ill have time over the weekend.

are there any other upgrades you reccomend? im planing to play BF3 on ultra.
December 10, 2011 1:06:38 AM

1920 x 1080
December 10, 2011 1:22:44 AM

You'll need a full system upgrade. The CPU is not going to cut it. BF3 does not need a lot of CPU power, but at least a modern dual core.
December 10, 2011 11:57:27 AM

Proximon said:
Here's a good budget PSU
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=3...

All right i can get that. what GPU and CPU do you reccomend?

I tried the PC this morning and when booted it asked to check disks. i canceled. when i logged in it said automatic updates and i canceled. alot of things popped up such as steam and flash player for updates and i all said no.
the mouse did not have an hour glass except for when i was on the start toolbar at the bottom. then like all the other times, my mouse could move but nothing would open. i tried Ctrl-Alt-Del and nothing happend.

should i run disk checks? i cannot connected to the internet because of the room it is in and i cant scan anything because it will freeze. should i just buy a new PC?

EDIT: i just played BFBC2 for an hour with no problems. seems to be working fine.how much will it cost to upgrade to play BF3 on ulta?
December 10, 2011 7:54:33 PM

Your system may just be corrupted or such. A fresh install of the OS might help.

I think a GTX 570 and a Phenom II X4 955 might be a good place to start. it all depends on your budget.

December 11, 2011 3:06:25 PM

it started freezing again this morning after 5 minutes of being on. this happened around 7 times. Im thinking of upgrading to windows Vista. Im at XP professional right now. could that help the problem?
!