irritating problem w/ME

G

I have noticed that when PM shuts off my 40 gig hdd things are ok. When i bring up IE or any office app the system has to spin up that drive, which of course brings to a halt while the drive spins up. I do not want to have the drives running all the time. is there any way to make ie and office quit spinning up that drive when i am not accessing it?

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Need more info here? Is that 40gig drive your primary? Only? Secondary?

I'm assuming it's your primary drive and/or holds your OS. In that case, no you can't stop it from spinning up. It has to access all kinds of crap.

Why is it necessary for this drive not to be running?

G

the 40 gig is a maxtor 7200 rpm..it is secondary..my primary is a WD protege 20 gig. the 40 gig is only sotrage for downloads, mp3's..etc. everything else is on the 20(all games, OS, other programs). So i see no reason for ie or office proggies to even look at the 40 gig when they are on c: and have been configured as such. Any way to sotp them from spinning up the 40 gig?

G

findfast was not installed...it is not in startup, in the run keys of the registry or anything. I hate findfast with a passion...:)

G

no indexing...none of hte office fluff crap is active/installed/present. look..even under ie 6.0(used to be 5.5) the same thing happens so it is not just office related. why would ie need to look at my d: drive?..there is nothing on there that ie requires in any way shape or form. also to make sure there was not any crosslinking i disconnected the d: and everything was fine so there is no reason for ie/office to need the d:. so any way to stop that behaviour?

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Indexing is part of the OS, not office. (there's a decent overview of it in the helpfiles).

I'm kinda out of ideas. Small pagefile on that drive? Dunno.

PoolSnoopy

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
only guessing:
environment variables TMP or TEMP set to D:
Temporary Internet Files on D:
part of the pagefile on D:

other possible reasons:
windows is just not able to turn them on or off seperately but maybe it can disable and enable primary and secondary IDE seperately. just a try: split them on both channels

G

hrmm..well the pagefile is restricted to c: only,,checked that.
Windows can hsut off the drives separatly because it often does shutdown d: while c: is being used. unable to split because i have dvd and burner on second ide. double-checked temp inet files..all on c:. double checked environment..they all point to c:\windows\temp. weird eh?