3 monitors (2 lcd & 1 laptop) 2 active

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeri p

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
hi

I have a question about using multi screen.

We have a laptop (hp elitebook 8740w) with the advance docking station.
on the docking station we have:

2x hdmi
2x dvi
1x vga

the problem is that we want 3 screens active.
so the laptop screen and 2 attached.

i see that windows (win 7 32bit) detects al the screens.
onle 2 are active and the third is grayedout (can not be configured)
the 2 connected are on dvi.

anyone know how i can active the tird one? or is it not possible?

kind regards
joeri

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Which docking station do you have and do you have the ATI graphics option. According to the HP web site you can have upto four external monitors. If you have the Nividia graphics option you can support fewer monitors. Only the HP advanced docking station has a pair each of DVI and Displayport conectors, the HP standard docking station has one each DVI and Displayport conectors. Here is the link: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02520814&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5056942#AppendixC

Just about every laptop has a two monitor limit, the physical connection number does not matter. The link posted above gives good info on what configuration you can do with what video card.

Check with HP support, or try the Matrox Dual-Head devices.

bucknutty

Distinguished
That workstation has a couple of video options. If you have the Nvidia model the Quadro fx only has a dual ramdac. That means no matter how many connectons there are it can only run two screens.

If you got the ATI fire pro mxxx those support eyefinity and should be able to run up to 6 monitors.

If you have the Nvidia based you can get a USB to DVI-hdmi video card adapter.
Its a little box that conencts your monitor to a free usb port. The speed and resolution is not great but they work well enough for basic productivity like coding or MS Office.

joeri p

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
The laptop has a ATI firepro M7820 video card.
I tryed to enable the screen from there but dusn't work.
I see my 3e screen(in the option) but can not enable it.
if i do it says: to extend the current desktop you need to deactivate a other one.

the docking station i have is : advance docking station by HP

I know/ think there must be an option 4 it.
why would they make a docking station with 6 connection if you can not use them.

You may need to check the documentation that came with your laptop on how to do this. If you read the link posted above it's a good starting point as it lists details as to what you can do with the connections.

joeri p

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
oke

I updated the video card driver and applications.
The eyefinity option is now available. but it dusn't show the 3de screen.
I know the screen is oke because in windows (like sayed above) detecteds all teh screen but can not activate all.

Could this be because we are using a 32-bit OS?

joeri p

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
so i need a splitter then on that port? or just connect 1screen on the dvi and the other one on the display port output?

A splitter will just get you the same display on both monitors, if that's what you want, you can use a splitter.

joeri p

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
tryed to connect to the display port and again windows 7 detects the monitor but i can not activate it (BTW. in the catalyst option from ATI it dusn't see the third monitor any time)

Grompie

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I think there is a problem with using the DVI output for multiple monitors. I suggest you try connecting each screen to a Display Port.

joeri p

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
oke apperently you can NOT connect 3 monitors to 1 video card.
a video card can only send out 2 video outputs.
if you need more you either go sli or buy external video.

Thx anyway guys

alexeya

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Hi.
Did you try to connect three external monitors through docking station dvi and display ports ?

shawng

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Your 8460w (elitebook mobile workstation with ATI FirePro card) DOES support FOUR independent screens if you are using the Adv Docking Station. Unfortunately, HP's design of the docking station is misleading. In order to support 4 displays, at least 3 of them must be connected via DisplayPort. If you do not have DisplayPort capable monitors, then you can use adapters but they must be ACTIVE DisplayPort adapters (e.g. ACTIVE DP-DVI or ACTIVE DP-VGA). The Adv Docking Station has two DP outlets, which HP elected to put on the same channels as the DVI ports -- the kicker is that HP didn't elect spend the extra $3 to make the DVI ports ACTIVE so you would only ever be able to use one at a time anyway.... Anyway -- if you purchase ACTIVE DP-DVI (or DP-VGA) adapters for your DP ports or purchase DP-capable monitors (I know - makes me a little sick too), you'll be up and running.

danwelleight

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Really thank you very much. It 's just absurd hp explaining the connection options, and even online technicians are able to solve the problems of Eyefinity. I run on my 8740w upgrade from nvidia fx2800 with ATI FirePro M7820, replaced heatsink, purchased advanced docking, bought 2 LA2405wg monitor, all for having 3 displays simultaneously, without success ... Now thanks to your advice I bought the cables displayport male to male, and definitely will solve the problem. bye

Status
Not open for further replies.