Sign in with
Your question

SATA 3 Mobo For Old Components

Last response: in Motherboards
January 19, 2013 1:19:24 PM

Hello :hello: 

I have an old PC with an Asus P4p 800 SE Mobo (fixed now:) ), an intel 3.4 Ghz extreme ed. CPU, 2x512 of Kingston DDR 400 (DDR 1 i suppose) ram (this one here ), a Creative PCI (not express) sound card and a 7800 GS Agp video card. The problem is, my sata 1 HDD has many bad sectors and is causing a terrible bottleneck. I need a new HDD and have recently found out that a new SATA 3 HDD is compatible with my current config (albeit at SATA 1 speed, as expected though). Also, my elder brother has tipped me that he has a GTX 8800 PCI Express video card laying around.

I have 2 options:

a) Buy a SATA 3 HDD and be done with it (the easy option). This is also more plausible since I don't have much $ to toss around as you might have realised.

b) Find a SATA 3 Mobo(that supports SATA 3 speeds) that will host ;

1- my intel 3.4 Ghz extreme ed. CPU

2- my Creative PCI (not express) sound card

3- my 2x512 of Kingston DDR 400 (DDR 1 i suppose) ram

4- The GTX 8800 PCI Express video card

5- And a new SATA 3 HDD :p 

It can be a used 2nd hand Mobo. I know the chances are still pretty slim, but wanted to ask nevertheless. My reason for insisting on SATA 3 is it's speed of ~600 MB/ sec. versus ~150 MB/sec. of SATA1, which i presume is a huge difference.

Thanks in advance,

Deniz

PS: Should I decide to go ahead with option a, what's the maximum amount of storage that is compatible with my ASUS P5B Mobo ? I have conflicting information from different sources as 512 GB, 1TB or 2TB. This is important since i want to go with the most amount of storage i can get away with.

More about : sata mobo components

a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 3:14:24 PM

Man you won't get 600MBps with a Sata 3 hdd, ssd maybe but not on a hdd.
It is better you go for a Sata 3 hdd and use it in your old motherboard. Since your CPU is very old, you probably won't find a motherboard that supports the processor also you have to buy ram cards. This will cost a lot of money.
There are some pci Sata 3 expansion cards that you can use. Won't give you the full Sata 3 speeds but will give you more than half of the Sata 3 speeds.

I think that you will be able to run all hard drives of that system once you have installed a bios update.
January 19, 2013 4:43:35 PM

Ok thanks a lot ! I'll have a look at this expansion card. What do you think would be the highest storage amount I can go with my ASUS P5B Mobo if I use a pci Sata 3 expansion card ?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2013 10:24:55 PM

aveatquevale said:
Ok thanks a lot ! I'll have a look at this expansion card. What do you think would be the highest storage amount I can go with my ASUS P5B Mobo if I use a pci Sata 3 expansion card ?

It depends on the motherboard. Most old boards DONOT support high capacity drives by default but they often provide an bios update which enables them to do so.
January 20, 2013 9:23:14 AM

Turns out my Mobo is a P4P 800 SE. Even that I got wrong lol.
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 11:54:31 PM

According to the bios release dates on the ASUS website I don't think it will handle anything over 500GB.
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2013 2:02:00 AM

Trying to find a motherboard that supports DDR1 now is almost impossible. If you do replace the board, I think you will need to pick up a few sticks of DDR3. Despite what the other poster said, it is not very expensive.

You can get 2gb worth of DDR3 for less than $20.
January 21, 2013 7:24:04 PM

Thanks A LOT for your time both of you, I really appreciate it ! I'm eyeing this one here then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will it be too absurd using it @ sata1 speed with my current Mobo (P4P 800 SE) ? I guess anything will beat my ailing HDD though lol.

Last question: Any potential problems I should be wary of before I attempt to use one with my current config ?
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2013 11:20:38 PM

The link of the drive you posted is discontinued. Better get Sata 3 pcie card and a 1TB drive.
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2013 3:49:22 PM

There are pci expansion cards available too
!