SATA 3 Mobo For Old Components

Hello :hello:

I have an old PC with an Asus P4p 800 SE Mobo (fixed now:)), an intel 3.4 Ghz extreme ed. CPU, 2x512 of Kingston DDR 400 (DDR 1 i suppose) ram (this one here ), a Creative PCI (not express) sound card and a 7800 GS Agp video card. The problem is, my sata 1 HDD has many bad sectors and is causing a terrible bottleneck. I need a new HDD and have recently found out that a new SATA 3 HDD is compatible with my current config (albeit at SATA 1 speed, as expected though). Also, my elder brother has tipped me that he has a GTX 8800 PCI Express video card laying around.

I have 2 options:

a) Buy a SATA 3 HDD and be done with it (the easy option). This is also more plausible since I don't have much $ to toss around as you might have realised.

b) Find a SATA 3 Mobo(that supports SATA 3 speeds) that will host ;

1- my intel 3.4 Ghz extreme ed. CPU

2- my Creative PCI (not express) sound card

3- my 2x512 of Kingston DDR 400 (DDR 1 i suppose) ram

4- The GTX 8800 PCI Express video card

5- And a new SATA 3 HDD :p

It can be a used 2nd hand Mobo. I know the chances are still pretty slim, but wanted to ask nevertheless. My reason for insisting on SATA 3 is it's speed of ~600 MB/ sec. versus ~150 MB/sec. of SATA1, which i presume is a huge difference.

Thanks in advance,

Deniz

PS: Should I decide to go ahead with option a, what's the maximum amount of storage that is compatible with my ASUS P5B Mobo ? I have conflicting information from different sources as 512 GB, 1TB or 2TB. This is important since i want to go with the most amount of storage i can get away with.
10 answers Last reply
More about sata mobo components
  1. Man you won't get 600MBps with a Sata 3 hdd, ssd maybe but not on a hdd.
    It is better you go for a Sata 3 hdd and use it in your old motherboard. Since your CPU is very old, you probably won't find a motherboard that supports the processor also you have to buy ram cards. This will cost a lot of money.
    There are some pci Sata 3 expansion cards that you can use. Won't give you the full Sata 3 speeds but will give you more than half of the Sata 3 speeds.

I think that you will be able to run all hard drives of that system once you have installed a bios update.
  2. Ok thanks a lot ! I'll have a look at this expansion card. What do you think would be the highest storage amount I can go with my ASUS P5B Mobo if I use a pci Sata 3 expansion card ?
  3. aveatquevale said:
    Ok thanks a lot ! I'll have a look at this expansion card. What do you think would be the highest storage amount I can go with my ASUS P5B Mobo if I use a pci Sata 3 expansion card ?

It depends on the motherboard. Most old boards DONOT support high capacity drives by default but they often provide an bios update which enables them to do so.
  4. Turns out my Mobo is a P4P 800 SE. Even that I got wrong lol.
  5. According to the bios release dates on the ASUS website I don't think it will handle anything over 500GB.
  6. Trying to find a motherboard that supports DDR1 now is almost impossible. If you do replace the board, I think you will need to pick up a few sticks of DDR3. Despite what the other poster said, it is not very expensive.

You can get 2gb worth of DDR3 for less than $20.
  7. Thanks A LOT for your time both of you, I really appreciate it ! I'm eyeing this one here then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795

Will it be too absurd using it @ sata1 speed with my current Mobo (P4P 800 SE) ? I guess anything will beat my ailing HDD though lol.

Last question: Any potential problems I should be wary of before I attempt to use one with my current config ?
  8. The link of the drive you posted is discontinued. Better get Sata 3 pcie card and a 1TB drive.
  9. Hi again Xttony,

This is my Mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131484

I think it doesn't have a PCI Express slot :ange:
  10. There are pci expansion cards available too
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SATA Hard Drives Product