rickstones

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I just received components for a new system, and the 8-pin CPU power cable that came with the power supply is too short to route behind the motherboard tray and reach the MoBo connector. The power supply is an OCZ ZX 1250W (modular). It came with two of these cables, but they are both the same length (24in.). I'm building it in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper case. I routed it underneath the motherboard to get it out of the way. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can by a replacement cable that is a bit longer? I think 2 or 3 more inches would do the trick.

2 It was a pretty tight fit underneath my MoBo. It isn't bulging it or bowing over it, but it is pretty tight. Will this be harmful to my motherboard to leave it this way?

Thanks for the help

never used an ocz psu so take your word for it

but if they look in the drawer theres an 8 pin extension--tons and tons of screws,thumbscrews,motherboard

standoffs,little tool to fit the standoffs and lots more--never seen so many screws and stuff with a new case

before :D

rickstones

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Oh Yeah! I found the tool drawer but I had no idea the cable was an extension for an 8pin connector (doh!). I'm going down to my subterranean hang-out to fix my mess now. Thanks for the tip!

Now my only remaining problem is that I have one orphaned 2-pin power cable coming from the front I/O panel, and I can't figure out where to plug it in. Not sure what it is, it looks like it goes to the third fan speed button... I looked all over, but can't find anything to plug it to...

i think you will find its a connector for fan leds--the top 200mm doesnt use it as its got no leds

but if you choose to replace the top fan with something like a cm megaflow then you can plug in the leds on it

i find the top fan a bit loud even on low so am going to replace it with a megaflow

rickstones

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Yep, that's what it is... I think I'll replace the 200mm fan also.

Speaking of fans, this may be a dumb question, but if I wanted to install 120mm fans in the side panel (and maybe in the bottom where the little ssd cage is), is there a way to connect these additional fans to the front-panel fan controller, or do I need to power them from fan headers on the mother board? I'd like to control the speed of any additional fans with the same controller as the others.

Thanks for the help so far by the way!