8-Pin CPU Power Cable too short

I just received components for a new system, and the 8-pin CPU power cable that came with the power supply is too short to route behind the motherboard tray and reach the MoBo connector. The power supply is an OCZ ZX 1250W (modular). It came with two of these cables, but they are both the same length (24in.). I'm building it in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper case. I routed it underneath the motherboard to get it out of the way. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can by a replacement cable that is a bit longer? I think 2 or 3 more inches would do the trick.

2 It was a pretty tight fit underneath my MoBo. It isn't bulging it or bowing over it, but it is pretty tight. Will this be harmful to my motherboard to leave it this way?

Thanks for the help
9 answers Last reply
More about power cable short
  1. did you route it the shortest way?

    just built my storm trooper and my 8 pin connector on a corsair tx750 reached it no problem

    and in the drawer of the storm trooper they give you an 8 pin extension anyway

    you did look in the drawer didnt you?
  2. Corsair's EPS power cables are usually 10 cm/4 inches longer than OCZ's cables.
  3. never used an ocz psu so take your word for it

    but if they look in the drawer theres an 8 pin extension--tons and tons of screws,thumbscrews,motherboard

    standoffs,little tool to fit the standoffs and lots more--never seen so many screws and stuff with a new case

    before :D
  4. mcnumpty23 said:
    never used an ocz psu so take your word for it

    but if they look in the drawer theres an 8 pin extension--tons and tons of screws,thumbscrews,motherboard

    standoffs,little tool to fit the standoffs and lots more--never seen so many screws and stuff with a new case

    before :D

    Oh Yeah! I found the tool drawer but I had no idea the cable was an extension for an 8pin connector (doh!). I'm going down to my subterranean hang-out to fix my mess now. Thanks for the tip!

    Now my only remaining problem is that I have one orphaned 2-pin power cable coming from the front I/O panel, and I can't figure out where to plug it in. Not sure what it is, it looks like it goes to the third fan speed button... I looked all over, but can't find anything to plug it to...
  5. does this 2 pin power is a molex connector check if your fan fan case have led on them
  6. rickstones said:
    Oh Yeah! I found the tool drawer but I had no idea the cable was an extension for an 8pin connector (doh!). I'm going down to my subterranean hang-out to fix my mess now. Thanks for the tip!

    Now my only remaining problem is that I have one orphaned 2-pin power cable coming from the front I/O panel, and I can't figure out where to plug it in. Not sure what it is, it looks like it goes to the third fan speed button... I looked all over, but can't find anything to plug it to...



    i think you will find its a connector for fan leds--the top 200mm doesnt use it as its got no leds

    but if you choose to replace the top fan with something like a cm megaflow then you can plug in the leds on it

    i find the top fan a bit loud even on low so am going to replace it with a megaflow
  7. mcnumpty23 said:
    i think you will find its a connector for fan leds--the top 200mm doesnt use it as its got no leds

    but if you choose to replace the top fan with something like a cm megaflow then you can plug in the leds on it

    i find the top fan a bit loud even on low so am going to replace it with a megaflow


    Yep, that's what it is... I think I'll replace the 200mm fan also.

    Speaking of fans, this may be a dumb question, but if I wanted to install 120mm fans in the side panel (and maybe in the bottom where the little ssd cage is), is there a way to connect these additional fans to the front-panel fan controller, or do I need to power them from fan headers on the mother board? I'd like to control the speed of any additional fans with the same controller as the others.

    Thanks for the help so far by the way!
  8. i used a seperate fan controller for the 2 x 120mm i put in the side panel as i also connected my push pull fans

    for the radiator to it as well that gave me 7 fans in total and i think the built in fan controller only took 3 or 4

    fans

    i used this controller as it lets you change the colour and the red worked perfectly for this case

    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-sentry-mix-led-illuminated-fan-crontroller-with-six-50w-channels-5-led-colours-slider-controls
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cable Power Motherboards CPUs Components Product