Hp slimline pavilion updated bios now black screen

lindylu

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hello, I finally decided to update my drivers etc and downloaded the bios (sp35155) update for xp and installed it. It didn't install well, it hung on winflash but knowing nothing about this I just ended the app. There was a dialogue box that told me to restart my pc which I did. No problem. I then updated the Nvidia driver. I used the pc for hours after, watched films, browsed the web without any problem. I turned it on this morning and there is nothing, the monitor doesn't light up or anything. The disc is working as the lights are on. I have tried a sequence of f1,f5 and f10 but this does nothing. What can I do to get the graphics back? Don't know the motherboard so just selected the first one!!

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I think you bricked it. NEVER EVER interrupt a BIOS update. Sometimes it looks like it has stalled and unless you waited 5mins to confirm (which is enough for a BIOS update) then it was probably still updating the bios, just not updating you the user. you probably could have saved it by reflashing it again before you turned it off.

lindylu

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

Agreed, I had waited 45 mins before I 'ended task' of winflash. The task manager indicated that it wasn't responding that's why I ended it. I had already looked online and saw that the whole installation should be a matter of minutes. I assumed that it had installed correctly as I was advised to restart the pc after installing which I did. I continued using the pc for the rest of the day, watching films and browsing online.

Quote Xttony 'Are the fans and the LEDs Atleast powering up?'

Yes the fan and the Leds are powering up. I put in a cd and you can tell that it is reading it. I have followed all the directions on the HP site, changed the battery and cleared the cmos but to no avail. The only thing that remains is the graphics card which is integrated with the motherboard so don't know what I can do about that, if I was able to put in a new graphics card I wouldn't be able to install the drivers as I can't see the screen!

Thanks to you both for your interest.

Xttony

Distinguished
These problems generally arise due to improper ram settings.

Try booting with only one ram cars installed

Remove all your hard drives and boot.

Is there anything being displayed on the screen like cable unplugged?

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
just a silly question. is there an onboard vga you can plug into as opposed to the dedicated nvidia card i think you have? perhaps it updated and you need to set it to use PCIE graphics. bit of a long shot

lindylu

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

I removed the hard drive and left only one ram in and rebooted, nothing, I repeated with both cards alternately in each slot but nothing. When I first tried, I didn't push the card in correctly and there was a short beep followed by a longer one repeated until I turned off the power, so something is happening. There is nothing on the monitor at all, I connected it to my tv and there was 'no input'. I plugged in the keyboard and did the 'f' key series but nothing happened although the lights on the keyboard lit up.