Need help with core clock speed

strifed169

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I am really new to overclocking but I know that it increases a CPUs performance to run certain games, so I just bought and installed a Radeon HD 5670 and with it came a program called MSI afterburner. I open it up and it shows settings like core clock, shader clock, fan speed etc. My question is what are the best settings that will keep my computer healthy and out of any possible danger of being damaged? Looking at the default settings the core clock MHz is set to 775 which is its maximum setting, while the memory clock was set to 700.

I'm sorry I really know little to nothing of how these types of things work, but anyway I just lowered both the core and memory clocks to 600 and 550, is that good or bad for my comp? thanks.

Solution
You can lower it, untill the pc starts lagging. It can't harm the pc. Those speeds you mentioned are the stock settings btw for a 5670, i even think the memory is 775 standard so it's underclocked allready ?

More important ; when your not using it's full potential ( when doing normal work with it ) it doesn't run on those high speeds, it will be about the half of that.
My runs at 950Mhz while gaming and internet use and around 450 i believe while working with Word.

strifed169

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
anyone please just a simple answer? should my core clock setting be left at its max 775 which was its default setting? I'm going to lower it more since I'm not gaming atm and don't need it to overperform, if I set core clock to 400 that wouldn't harm my comp in any way will it?

You can lower it, untill the pc starts lagging. It can't harm the pc. Those speeds you mentioned are the stock settings btw for a 5670, i even think the memory is 775 standard so it's underclocked allready ?

More important ; when your not using it's full potential ( when doing normal work with it ) it doesn't run on those high speeds, it will be about the half of that.
My runs at 950Mhz while gaming and internet use and around 450 i believe while working with Word.

Solution

strifed169

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

thanks for answering, the only time I'm putting it back to 775 is when I'll be gaming I guess, btw, would it be best to have fan on automatic or should I manually put it to a set speed?

Anytime. :D
Automatic is often the best or you must really know what you're doing.
Only when you have heat issues ( not likely because your no gamer and no oc'er ) it's adviced to change the settings yourself. The auto setting monitors the temp and adjust the fanspeed accordingly.

strifed169

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I'll be gaming once BF3 and TOR come out, as of right now I want to give my comp a break until that time, so perhaps I will experiment with OCing until the time comes :D but I care more about my computers health than having a good gaming experience.

thanks again