Need telescope mount for a Fuji S7000

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 3, 2005 12:21:34 AM

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here could help me find a mount/bracket to mount
my Fuji S7000 to my Meade telescope. Since the S7000 has an extending
barrel, I can't simply use an adapter ring and screw it right onto the
viewfinder barrel on the scope.

I found a website a few months ago, where the person sold what
appeared to be a hand-made bracket that mounted a camera to a
telescope in part by locking into the tripod mount on the underside of
the camera, and the rest of the bracket mounted to the telescope, and
allowed you to align the camera barrel to the scope.

I went back to the site a few days ago, and it was (or appeared to be)
gone!

Can anyone help me find something like what I descibed above? I would
like to make use of my existing camera, and not have to buy a film slr
to mount to the scope, or drop a few hundred bucks I don't have for
Meade's ccd attachment. (Although having that computer controlled
product WOULD be fun!)

TIA,
Martin O'B
May 3, 2005 1:32:35 PM

Martin O'Brien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was hoping someone here could help me find a mount/bracket to mount
> my Fuji S7000 to my Meade telescope. Since the S7000 has an extending
> barrel, I can't simply use an adapter ring and screw it right onto the
> viewfinder barrel on the scope.
>
> I found a website a few months ago, where the person sold what
> appeared to be a hand-made bracket that mounted a camera to a
> telescope in part by locking into the tripod mount on the underside of
> the camera, and the rest of the bracket mounted to the telescope, and
> allowed you to align the camera barrel to the scope.
>
> I went back to the site a few days ago, and it was (or appeared to be)
> gone!
>
> Can anyone help me find something like what I descibed above? I would
> like to make use of my existing camera, and not have to buy a film slr
> to mount to the scope, or drop a few hundred bucks I don't have for
> Meade's ccd attachment. (Although having that computer controlled
> product WOULD be fun!)
>
> TIA,
> Martin O'B

Cameras like the S700 are used afocally, that is, camera lens to
telescope eyepiece. Alignment is crucial. There are some brackets made
that can hold the camera close to the eyepiece. More accuracy can be
obtained by purchasing the lens adapter for the Fuji (the adapter made
to mount a wide angle lens or telephoto lens to the camera), and then
buying screw on adapters to attach directly to an eyepiece. See
www.astro-engineering.com for some solutions.
Perhaps the greatest limitation of most digitals is their very short
maximum exposure times available. In the case of dim objects a technique
called image stacking is often used (multiple images of an object are
taken then stacked one on top of the other). One good freeware program
for this is Iris. It can also read many raw formats used in digi cams.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:31:30 PM

In article <9kgd7111u0ifqtls1qi36g1umf8vjqtcu9@4ax.com>,
Martin O'Brien <usenet@martinobrien.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was hoping someone here could help me find a mount/bracket to mount
> my Fuji S7000 to my Meade telescope. Since the S7000 has an extending
> barrel, I can't simply use an adapter ring and screw it right onto the
> viewfinder barrel on the scope.
>
> I found a website a few months ago, where the person sold what
> appeared to be a hand-made bracket that mounted a camera to a
> telescope in part by locking into the tripod mount on the underside of
> the camera, and the rest of the bracket mounted to the telescope, and
> allowed you to align the camera barrel to the scope.
>
> I went back to the site a few days ago, and it was (or appeared to be)
> gone!
>
> Can anyone help me find something like what I descibed above? I would
> like to make use of my existing camera, and not have to buy a film slr
> to mount to the scope, or drop a few hundred bucks I don't have for
> Meade's ccd attachment. (Although having that computer controlled
> product WOULD be fun!)
>
> TIA,
> Martin O'B

The biggest difficulty in connecting a camera to a telescope is focal
point. Put your eye to the eyepiece and sharpen - the focal point is
there - 1cm from the lens on the back of your retina. For most cameras
the distance between the front element and photo sensor is around 10cm.
A camera mount is usually necessary to compensate for this and other
problems.

Why not talk to Meade about this?
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:39:31 PM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 09:32:35 GMT, Paul <morbieus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Martin O'Brien wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was hoping someone here could help me find a mount/bracket to mount
>> my Fuji S7000 to my Meade telescope. Since the S7000 has an extending
>> barrel, I can't simply use an adapter ring and screw it right onto the
>> viewfinder barrel on the scope.
>>
>> I found a website a few months ago, where the person sold what
>> appeared to be a hand-made bracket that mounted a camera to a
>> telescope in part by locking into the tripod mount on the underside of
>> the camera, and the rest of the bracket mounted to the telescope, and
>> allowed you to align the camera barrel to the scope.
>>
>> I went back to the site a few days ago, and it was (or appeared to be)
>> gone!
>>
>> Can anyone help me find something like what I descibed above? I would
>> like to make use of my existing camera, and not have to buy a film slr
>> to mount to the scope, or drop a few hundred bucks I don't have for
>> Meade's ccd attachment. (Although having that computer controlled
>> product WOULD be fun!)
>>
>> TIA,
>> Martin O'B
>>
>Cameras like the S700 are used afocally, that is, camera lens to
>telescope eyepiece. Alignment is crucial. There are some brackets made
>that can hold the camera close to the eyepiece. More accuracy can be
>obtained by purchasing the lens adapter for the Fuji (the adapter made
>to mount a wide angle lens or telephoto lens to the camera), and then
>buying screw on adapters to attach directly to an eyepiece. See
>www.astro-engineering.com for some solutions.
>Perhaps the greatest limitation of most digitals is their very short
>maximum exposure times available. In the case of dim objects a technique
>called image stacking is often used (multiple images of an object are
>taken then stacked one on top of the other). One good freeware program
>for this is Iris. It can also read many raw formats used in digi cams.

Paul,

Thanks for the potential leads and info. I happen to have "image
stacker". I used it to stack some tripod-stablilized star-trail pics
and they came out great. But I have yet to get my digicam hooked up to
the scope yet.

-Martin O'B
!