Your question

Xeon E3 vs Valencia vs Xeon E5 1600

Tags:
  • Xeon
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 14, 2012 4:22:51 PM

I need to buy motherboard + cpu for a 1-cpu-server, the main cpu-time will be produced by java (minecraft), there will also be severel other processes like mailserver etc, but this will be lower then 20% at maximum.

My budget for this is around 600€.

I got an Athlon II X4 645 (4x3.1 Ghz) which was not enough power, but close to.

I wanted to wait for the Xeon E5 1620 (4x 3.6 Ghz HT) but they still aren't available for sale and the only company even introducing mainboards for this is supermicro who told me they need alt least 4 more weeks until they are available, maybe more (and they are very expensive ...)

With the AMD Valencia-Processors I heard they do not deliver as much power in java as intel does and I just cannot find any benchmark for these, only for Interlagos which are very depressing.

Then there are only Xeon E3 left for me wich are already a year old and I would also need to buy new RAM (already own 16 GB registered RAM, but E3 only supports unbuffered...)

Which way do you suggest? Or did I miss one alternative setting?

I started the thoughts about this a over a month ago (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/324405-10-gameserve...) and was told to try an old used rackmount, but I figured out that some of my applications need modern chipfunctions like aes.

More about : xeon valencia xeon 1600

a c 203 à CPUs
March 14, 2012 4:28:20 PM

How fast is your internet connection upload?
March 14, 2012 4:46:20 PM

I already hosted a minecraft server on my old hardware, it's not only one but multiple servers (got running around 4 servers with 20 players each at the Athlon with 4GB RAM, now I want more) that are running on this - my internet speed is amazing (around 1Gbit up/down in a server room) and like I said I got 16GB of RAM.

I'm only searching for help with the processor (+maybe a motherboard), the rest of the hardware is fine.
!