Graphics Card for Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of building a computer for video editing (Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium). I will be editing HD video as well as creating motion graphics.

What I have so far:

CPU: Intel i7-2600K

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

RAM: 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR 1600 (PC 12800)

PSU: Mushkin Enhanced 1000W

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Enhanced

I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do as far as HDD's and a blu-ray burner. I need help selecting a graphics card. The Quadro series is out of my price range. I am considering either the MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB or PNY XLR8 VCGGTX580XPB-LC GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB. Which would best suit what I need without being overkill? I am open to suggestions.

Solution
Yes, the 570 is designed for high speeds in gaming while the quadro takes more time for detailed images, or something like that, i'm no expert.

Got this from the forum ;

The pro (Quadro, FireGL) drivers allow for more control over certain settings in CAD apps, and are geared to accelerate OpenGL pro apps instead of games. The last time I read a review with a gaming card vs. it's pro counterpart playing a game, the pro drivers tended to accelerate games slower than the consumer drivers, and the pro drivers tended to accelerate CAD apps much faster than consumer drivers.

Also you get better support with the pro cards.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/246658-15-gaming-professional-graphics-cards

Thank you for the quick response. Is there any particular brand (PNY, MSI, EVGA, Gigabye, Palit, etc.) you would recommend?

Saw you're using an other adobe program but it has the same requirements i believe

64-bit support required: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (Intel Core™ i3, i5, or i7 or AMD Phenom® II recommended); Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom II required for Adobe Premiere Pro
64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (Service Pack 2 recommended) or Windows® 7
2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
16.3GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1280x900 display (1280x1024 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance in Adobe Premiere Pro; visit www.adobe.com/go/premiere_systemreqs for the latest list of supported cards
Some GPU-accelerated features in Adobe Photoshop® Extended require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
Some features in Adobe Bridge rely on a DirectX 9–capable graphics card with at least 64MB of VRAM

Supported are ;

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro 2000 (Windows)
Quadro 2000D (Windows)
Quadro 2000M (Windows)
Quadro 3000M (Windows)
Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro 4000M (Windows)
Quadro 5000 (Windows)
Quadro 5000M (Windows)
Quadro 5010M (Windows)
Quadro 6000 (Windows)
Quadro CX (Windows)

I really appreciate the help. I have found an open box Quadro 4000 at a good price. I failed to mention the OS but will be using Win 7 64-bit OEM. I am currently running the CS5.5 suite on a Quad Core Q6600 system but have maxed out the RAM on that machine and decided I wanted a custom build since I don't really care for the off the shelf offerings.

Yes, the 570 is designed for high speeds in gaming while the quadro takes more time for detailed images, or something like that, i'm no expert.

Got this from the forum ;

The pro (Quadro, FireGL) drivers allow for more control over certain settings in CAD apps, and are geared to accelerate OpenGL pro apps instead of games. The last time I read a review with a gaming card vs. it's pro counterpart playing a game, the pro drivers tended to accelerate games slower than the consumer drivers, and the pro drivers tended to accelerate CAD apps much faster than consumer drivers.

Also you get better support with the pro cards.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/246658-15-gaming-professional-graphics-cards

Solution

Thank you for the advice. I did some further research and found for video editing the Quadro line is the way to go. I think I will get the Quadro 4000.

Update: Decided to go with the MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-127-589&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Status
Not open for further replies.