Where's the POST?

Antares78

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
For the first time I tried to replace the MB and CPU at the same time in a Dell Dimension 5100. The first time I booted, the POST said that the amount of memory has changed and asked me if I wanted to proceed or go to set-up. Stupidly, I chose to proceed and the screen just went black and nothing happened. When I tried rebooting the computer, now all I get is a black screen....no POST...no nothing.

OK, so what do I need to do to get the POST back and proceed with the set-up? Remove and replace the memory again?

Thanks.

Antares78

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Well, I reseated the memory, and pulled the green jumper by the CMOS battery a couple of times. For the first few attempts, I got absolutely nothing, although the LED's on the two optic drives would flash in a rhythmic pattern. (The monitor is plugged into the MB video port.) Now, I am getting a flashing cursor but no indication of the POST running or any reaction to the USB keyboard.

Interestingly, this is the state the original motherboard was producing. Is it possible there is an issue with the power supply?

Then ,just for giggle, I pulled the video and sound cards. Now, it's back to no video and one optic drive just flashes....long, short, long, short, etc.... Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Antares78

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
"What is the CPU you installed in the MB? Is it ompatible with the MB?" - cin19

How do I determine that? The motherboard is a Dell WG261 for Models 5100, 5150, and the CPU is a Pentium 4 650. Both are 775 socket.

InvalidError

Titan

No need to remove the battery for more than maybe 20 seconds. Just need to start counting from after the 5VSB LED has gone out after unplugging the PSU, otherwise the CMOS may still be powered by that instead even with the battery removed.

Antares78

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Well, I've installed the original CPU and tried your suggestions of unplugging everything and the CMOS battery, but alas I get the same results....nothing but a flashing cursor and even that takes quite a few seconds to appear.

So, I'm completely stumped. Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong?