Sign in with
Your question

Core temps too much?

Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2012 5:47:09 PM

im running an i5-2500k no overclock with intel cooler and cpu temp is showing 85 degrees c after 10 min in prime95 so i shut it off and then it goes back down to 40 degrees celsius. this seems a little too big of a difference and wondering if that seems wrong. Thanks for the support and let me know if i need to add anything else.

PC
PWR - coolmaster gx 650
VGA - ATI RADEON 5870 2GB
RAM - 16 GB Corsair XMS3
CPU - i5-2500k
Case - Thermaltake
HDD - WD 1TB

Thanks for all the help this is my first build and the temps are freaking me out a little getting the mounting brakets from corsair in a week hopefully solves the problem but let me know if there is anything i can do right now cuz im scared to play battlefield 3 and would like to play :D 

okay so i reapplied the thermal paste with artic silver 5 (first time i did it i used the spread method) and used the tiny x method and it now runs at 78 degrees celsius would still like to know if that is a good core temp or a little hot thanks

More about : core temps

a c 188 à CPUs
March 14, 2012 7:15:43 PM

85c on an Intel® Core™ i5-2500K with a stock HSF (heatsink/fan) might be a touch high but with Prime95 running it isnt out of the question. With the stock HSF 40c idle is within the norm.

Check to make sure that your HSF is seated well. Reach in and grab one of the twist clips and pull straight up. If you can do this with any of the clips you dont have the HSF seated right.

If you are looking for a good 3rd party HSF take a look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. With the 212+ with 2 fans I run my Intel Core i7-2600K in idle temps in high 20s to low 30s.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2012 7:29:39 PM

80C seems high, with my stock cooler I hit 75C, but that isn't bad. You know, it could be things such as airflow. Now, if you are hitting 80C while playing BF3, I would call that too high and would wait for the new cooler.

What fans do you have in the case?

By the way, it looks like a nice system! Would love to have it! :) 
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:35:17 PM

cpierson745 said:
im running an i5-2500k no overclock with intel cooler and cpu temp is showing 85 degrees c after 10 min in prime95 so i shut it off and then it goes back down to 40 degrees celsius. this seems a little too big of a difference and wondering if that seems wrong. Thanks for the support and let me know if i need to add anything else.

The Intel stock cooler is a well known lemon. You can get a nice Hyper 212 for $30.00 it will improve things dramatically. Prime95 is designed to ramp up the processor which naturally increases the temps. This is why it's used as a stress test. My core i7 930 doesn't break 60 @ stock. I'm not sure what ideal temps for the 2500K chip are but you won't have to look to hard i'm sure.
m
l
March 15, 2012 2:31:27 AM

HostileDonut said:
80C seems high, with my stock cooler I hit 75C, but that isn't bad. You know, it could be things such as airflow. Now, if you are hitting 80C while playing BF3, I would call that too high and would wait for the new cooler.

What fans do you have in the case?

By the way, it looks like a nice system! Would love to have it! :) 

Thanks and the case has 4 fans: front 120mm sucks in case, rear 120mm sucks into case, one 180mm on top that pushes air in and one 200mm that's pushes air out pretty good airflow I think (could be wrong I'm a noon too pc building) :) 
m
l
March 15, 2012 2:50:29 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
85c on an Intel® Core™ i5-2500K with a stock HSF (heatsink/fan) might be a touch high but with Prime95 running it isnt out of the question. With the stock HSF 40c idle is within the norm.

Check to make sure that your HSF is seated well. Reach in and grab one of the twist clips and pull straight up. If you can do this with any of the clips you dont have the HSF seated right.

If you are looking for a good 3rd party HSF take a look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. With the 212+ with 2 fans I run my Intel Core i7-2600K in idle temps in high 20s to low 30s.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Thank you everyone for the input and I have a corsair h50 cooler but I had to order the 1155 bracket which will be here friday. What should be my expected temp ranges (if you know). And what would be my overclocking headroom I haven't really found any hard data stating cooling efficiencies for the h50?

Thanks guys making this first ever build a breeze
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 1:20:09 PM

cpierson745 said:
Thanks and the case has 4 fans: front 120mm sucks in case, rear 120mm sucks into case, one 180mm on top that pushes air in and one 200mm that's pushes air out pretty good airflow I think (could be wrong I'm a noon too pc building) :) 

You should have the two front fans pulling air in, the tops pushing air out, and the back should also be pushing air out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 1:20:55 PM

cpierson745 said:
Thank you everyone for the input and I have a corsair h50 cooler but I had to order the 1155 bracket which will be here friday. What should be my expected temp ranges (if you know). And what would be my overclocking headroom I haven't really found any hard data stating cooling efficiencies for the h50?

Thanks guys making this first ever build a breeze

You could probably get 4.5Ghz+ with that cooler. What is your motherboard?
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:45:23 PM

HostileDonut said:
You should have the two front fans pulling air in, the tops pushing air out, and the back should also be pushing air out.

I couldn't agree with you more. That guy soulfulness like he came from opposite world!
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:48:27 PM

HostileDonut said:

I only have one front fan and the side fan and top fan can not be reversed, the h50 supposedly works best with air being drawn into the case so what do you mean by the two front fans?
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:50:19 PM

HostileDonut said:
You could probably get 4.5Ghz+ with that cooler. What is your motherboard?

I have a gigabyte z68AP-D3
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 4:52:25 PM

I thought you said you had two front fans. It should look a little something like this: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1325&ID=19...

Look at the bottom. There is a picture showing what your exhaust and intake fans should be. Front should be intake, side should be intake, bottom should be intake, back and top fans should be exhaust.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2012 4:52:53 PM

cpierson745 said:
I have a gigabyte z68AP-D3

Yeah, you should be able to OC pretty well. ;) 
m
l
!