Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4GB vs 8GB

Last response: in Motherboards
January 19, 2013 5:19:27 PM

alot of poeple been saying that 4 is all you need and you wont see a diffrence but i just but in 8 GB in my pc usedto have 4 and right away i noticed a diffrence and it seems to put less stress on the HDD and the CPU doenst seem to have to work as much, i mosly use my pc for gaming and genreal web browsing i dont do photoshop or anyhting like that so i am jsut wondering why people think 4GB is good

More about : 4gb 8gb

a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 12:39:02 AM

It is Better to have 8gB when used for gaming. There is very little cifference(it not none) in more ram unless the ram is very low.
The speed boost you observed must be due to better frequency and timings.
m
l
January 20, 2013 12:49:37 AM

Whoever says 4GB is enough is full of ***. I initially had 4GB when I bought this rig 2-2,5 years ago and i could constantly hear my HDD swapping when I was doing anything remotely intensive, mainly playing games. Needless to say, I ordered another 4GB kit and my PC was finally able to breathe.
If you have browser with 10 tabs opened, a couple of messengers and maybe something else in case you're running dual screen setup, which makes multitasking so much more appealing, you'll want 8GB of RAM.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 12:49:55 AM

4GB = enough for the average person aka Facebook, email, Youtube, and standard office machines - also max for 32-bit
8GB - 16GB = The range for power users, such as gamers, Adobe, etc, etc.
17GB + = Video editors, CAD, VM's, heavy applicaitions, 3D renderings, etc.

Then again, for the price, 8GB is the normal for systems these days anyway. I'm at 4GB, and if RAM wasn't so expensive, I would go to 8GB with Windows 7
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 12:52:37 AM

My rig uses 3.8GB just surfing the web. Sure you could get away with that. 8GB is a good move though for when you are using software that uses more memory than a web browswer or when you are multitasking. Memory is so cheap why not. It so cheap (from what it used to be that I have 32GB in my rigs so that I can run a Ramdisk which is crazy fast.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 1:04:01 AM

In my experience, I don't think 4GB of RAM is enough. Even just browsing the web using Google Chrome, I am using about 3 - 4GB of RAM depending what I am doing. I think once I used about 7GB of RAM when I was playing Crysis 1, lol. If you just going to do simple tasks like word processing, movies, youtube, web browsing etc., then 4GB is enough for right now. I would highly suggest 8GB of RAM, even 16GB, and RAM is really cheap these days. You get get 8GB of RAM for like $30-$40? You will regret if you only get 4GB of RAM.
a c 86 V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 1:07:12 AM

maestro0428 said:
My rig uses 3.8GB just surfing the web. Sure you could get away with that. 8GB is a good move though for when you are using software that uses more memory than a web browswer or when you are multitasking. Memory is so cheap why not. It so cheap (from what it used to be that I have 32GB in my rigs so that I can run a Ramdisk which is crazy fast.

You must have a lot of crapware running. With a few Firefox tabs and Folding@Home running, my computer's using just a little over 2 GB.

In most games, memory usage stays below 4 GB. However, with current memory prices there's no reason not to get 8 GB, so we agree there.
m
l
January 20, 2013 3:50:55 AM

Best answer selected by nathanial117.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 12:30:29 PM

runswindows95 said:
4GB = enough for the average person aka Facebook, email, Youtube, and standard office machines - also max for 32-bit
8GB - 16GB = The range for power users, such as gamers, Adobe, etc, etc.
17GB + = Video editors, CAD, VM's, heavy applicaitions, 3D renderings, etc.

Then again, for the price, 8GB is the normal for systems these days anyway. I'm at 4GB, and if RAM wasn't so expensive, I would go to 8GB with Windows 7

After the fact, but I agree. 8GB (2x4GB) is pretty standard now not to mention very cheap.
m
l
October 9, 2013 4:58:34 AM

normally if your using 4 gb ram most of data will store with paging (paging mean store and retrieve data from secondary storage mostly secondary storage is ur HDD), but still works normally . if your use 8GB ram less data will load with paging and more data will store in ur ram (because 8Gb ram gives more resources for ur programms/processors ). loading directly from ram more faster than loading data from pages.... so 8Gb will show you some improvements (but this depend on what ur doing with ur machine if gaming use 8gb)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging
m
l
!