Sandy Bridge OC Voltage Fluctuations

Glocktypus

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello everyone,

I just finished building and overclocking my first custom rig, and I am seeing some strange activity in CPUID Hardware Monitor. I used an offset overclock because I could not get a 1.35V fixed overclock to run stable during P95 blend tests and Intel Burn Tests. The offset OC is completely stable (P95 for several hours, Maximum stress burn test 10 passes), and even during the burn test the highest CPU temp registered was 77 degrees C. However, my VCORE fluctuates wildly while idle, going from 1.35-1.4 to 1.05-1.10 and back again every second or two (It's not always that dramatic, but that is the range in which it is fluctuating). Under full load, it is almost rock steady between 1.35 and 1.4V. I am thrilled that all tests tell me I have a stable OC, but I am worried that the voltage fluctuations may be damaging/aging my processor. Are these fears totally baseless, or do I have some tweaking to do?

Here are the components I am working with:
- i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz
- AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
- Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
- Sapphire 7970
- 2x4GB G.Skill 1600mhz
- Seasonic x-850 850w PSU

Thanks

Solution

Not quite. He needs to disable the C states. Speed Step lowers the voltage a little bit but not that much. Mainly it lowers the multiplier to x16.

Go to the BIOS and look for C1, C3 and C1E, disable them and it will stop. But if its stable with them on, no BSoD and such, leave them on. They just save power.

Not quite. He needs to disable the C states. Speed Step lowers the voltage a little bit but not that much. Mainly it lowers the multiplier to x16.

Go to the BIOS and look for C1, C3 and C1E, disable them and it will stop. But if its stable with them on, no BSoD and such, leave them on. They just save power.

Solution