Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Compatability with Server and LAN

Last response: in Components
March 14, 2012 7:45:25 PM

Hi all,

So here's my situation:

I'm primarily a PC systems builder.

One of my clients owns a mortgage business and has a office LAN setup using Windows Server 2003; it's all professionally done, and he has a Network Administrator on call. However, his IT guy is rarely available and only relied upon for major networking issues.

As a result, my client asked me to build him a PC that has all the "bells and whistles" (i.e., Core i7 CPU, SSD, high-end GPU, etc). However, all of the other 20 computers on his network are identical, plus it appears they share data and what not (i.e., network hard drives, etc).

All of the computers in his office LAN are of these specs:

Dell Optiplex
Intel Core2Duo Processor
2 GBs DDR2 RAM
160GB 5400RPM HDD
WINDOWS XP SP3

My question:

Can I build him a high-end system with the following components and operating system and be able to connect his computer on the office LAN and still have access to all of the server resources he had before, even though it's a totally different operating system?

New System Specs:

Intel Core i7 2600K
8GBs DDR3 RAM 1600MHz
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
Z68 Motherboard
AMD Radeon 7970
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
March 14, 2012 9:05:57 PM

You might want to research the applications they run. At my work we are stuck on XP for the time being because several of our dont work on W7. Also we have a few web based applications that will not run on anything but IE7.

Connectivity-wise you should be ok, there are a few protocol issues depending on what the server is running but most have been fixed or have easy workarounds.

ps - why's he want a gaming card in a work computer? Pretty good waste of money if he's not going to high end game. The integrated HD3000 on the 2600k will provide more than enough gpu for office work.
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:45:11 PM

Hi :) 

We build this stuff for offices all the time....

Just put a new copy of XP PRO SP3 on it...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 10:19:05 PM

I don't how well it runs these days but Windows 7 Professional and above support XP mode which is a virtualized XP environment specifically to run those older programs that cannot run on Windows 7. Best of all is that's it's a free download and installation.
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:16:16 AM

popatim said:
You might want to research the applications they run. At my work we are stuck on XP for the time being because several of our dont work on W7. Also we have a few web based applications that will not run on anything but IE7.

Connectivity-wise you should be ok, there are a few protocol issues depending on what the server is running but most have been fixed or have easy workarounds.

ps - why's he want a gaming card in a work computer? Pretty good waste of money if he's not going to high end game. The integrated HD3000 on the 2600k will provide more than enough gpu for office work.

Thanks for your feedback! He's wanting the gaming card because he likes to game at his office "after hours." He's the CEO of the company and has a really nice Video/TV setup in his office. I build custom computers for his home-computing needs as well.

Do you think XP-Mode would work for some of those older app's you referenced?

I'm just interested to know because I've used the XP-mode in the past and I don't think it's 100% guaranteed to work with all programs.
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:17:36 AM

pauls3743 said:
I don't how well it runs these days but Windows 7 Professional and above support XP mode which is a virtualized XP environment specifically to run those older programs that cannot run on Windows 7. Best of all is that's it's a free download and installation.

It makes sense to be the best solution, but from what I know XP-Mode doesn't always work with every program. However, that's a very good point. I was really concerned about connectivity, but form what I'm reading here, everything should be fine. ;) 
m
l
March 16, 2012 1:18:42 AM

Brett928S2 said:

We build this stuff for offices all the time....

Just put a new copy of XP PRO SP3 on it...

Hi Brett, I thought about that, but it seems like a pain to install an SSD on XP....plus, due to lack of trim on XP, it can create problems...you agree?
m
l
March 20, 2012 1:04:20 AM

Zombeeslayer143 said:
Hi Brett, I thought about that, but it seems like a pain to install an SSD on XP....plus, due to lack of trim on XP, it can create problems...you agree?

Hmmm...I would avoid an SSD anyway for XP...

The reason I said XP is that ALL the other machines are XP...and it will avoid network problem...

Regarding VM in 7 Pro...I have never found an app that wont work in it.....BUT you cannot game in VM....

m
l
!