Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU running to hot?

Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2012 8:56:09 PM

Fitting my CPU i bought of eBay today it is a

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

It is running around the 50-60C mark is this fine?

More about : cpu running hot

a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 14, 2012 9:18:39 PM

Yes, running 50 to 60c while doing something is fine. If that is the idle temperture than you are going to want to check your HSF (heatsink/fan) to make sure it is seated right. The tcase for the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 is 71.4c (this is a nice number to try to stay under).

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
March 14, 2012 9:28:01 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Yes, running 50 to 60c while doing something is fine. If that is the idle temperture than you are going to want to check your HSF (heatsink/fan) to make sure it is seated right. The tcase for the Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 is 71.4c (this is a nice number to try to stay under).

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I saw it at 59C after i came of LoL (league of legend) it hasn't been higher

2 of the clips has snapped on the heat sink but it is secure as 1 clip on each corner works or should i consider getting a new one?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2012 9:30:49 PM

tally2425 said:
I saw it at 59C after i came of LoL (league of legend) it hasn't been higher

2 of the clips has snapped on the heat sink but it is secure as 1 clip on each corner works or should i consider getting a new one?

Yes, you need a new heatsink. $30 problem solved - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 14, 2012 11:31:48 PM

The hyper 212 is about the best price/performance HSF you can get. Cheaper, lower performance, higher cost, better performance but then you pay extra.

Also you should look at the individual core temperatures, not the single one.
Normally the individual cores will be higher and as IntelEnthusiast said you need to stay below 71 C!!!

If two of the Stock HSF clips are broken DO NOT operate until repaired/replaced as your core temps most likely are TOO HIGH!!.

To look at Core temps download and install CPUID HWMonitor.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

IntelEnthusiast will probably disagree, but In my humble opinion the stock HSF is best left in the box to keep the box from blowing away - I never install the stock HSF. I may love the Intel CPU, but the Stock HSF is at the BOTTOM of the totom pole in terms of performance. If your room temp is in the low 20's then your CPU should be in the low 30's at Idle and under load upper 40s to mid 50's

March 15, 2012 6:31:49 AM

Is the Hyper 212 easy to install?, I shall buy this today if all is well as it seems to be my best option :) 
March 15, 2012 5:04:37 PM

RetiredChief said:
The hyper 212 is about the best price/performance HSF you can get. Cheaper, lower performance, higher cost, better performance but then you pay extra.

Also you should look at the individual core temperatures, not the single one.
Normally the individual cores will be higher and as IntelEnthusiast said you need to stay below 71 C!!!

If two of the Stock HSF clips are broken DO NOT operate until repaired/replaced as your core temps most likely are TOO HIGH!!.

To look at Core temps download and install CPUID HWMonitor.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

IntelEnthusiast will probably disagree, but In my humble opinion the stock HSF is best left in the box to keep the box from blowing away - I never install the stock HSF. I may love the Intel CPU, but the Stock HSF is at the BOTTOM of the totom pole in terms of performance. If your room temp is in the low 20's then your CPU should be in the low 30's at Idle and under load upper 40s to mid 50's

downloaded the CPUID program

core #0
Value = 56 Min = 55 Max = 58

core #1
Value = 46 Min = 45 Max = 48

core #2
Value = 51 Min = 51 Max = 54

core #3
Value = 46 Min = 46 Max = 49

Are these good readings? I have ordered a new heatsink which should be here tomorrow aswell
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 15, 2012 5:25:52 PM

For @ Idle there are high, If with prime 95 running = good
The 10 C max difference between cores is on stock HSF is normally uneven pressure or uneven spread of the HS coumpound. 5 C diff between the individual cores is quite common. Another variance between cores is if they are not evenly loaded.

Normally I run Prime95 for two reasons (1) verify cpu/memory stability and (2) to verify effectiveness of HSF at stock and espeacially if I've OC the CPU.

For stability verification need to run a min of 4 Hours, many leave it run for 8+ hours.
Checking temps: Temps will ramp up very quickly so for the first 15 Minutes need to watch closely. If at the end of 15 minutes temps are still at a comfort level, then check about once evey fifteen minutes utill you are sure that the cpu is not a "frying pan"

My I5-750 OCed to 3.2 GHz stays below 60 C and my I5-2500K OCed to 4.2 also stays below 60 C while running prime 95. Their Idle temps are in the 30s (This is for all cores).

Added: The HSF will determine the best method of appling the Thermal coumpond (Myself I use AS5). For the Hyper you need to insure that the void is filled ( just google installing the Hyper 212 for a youtube video). For the Flat bottom HSF (which is what I use) I put a "pea" size blob on the cpu and work it around with my finger (use a latex glove). so that it looks uniform. Then stick the HS on and Rotate it back-and forth (CW/CWW just a small amount) - BUT be sure not to left up and get an air bobble between the CPU and the HS.
March 15, 2012 5:33:19 PM

RetiredChief said:
For @ Idle there are high, If with prime 95 running = good
The 10 C max difference between cores is on stock HSF is normally uneven pressure or uneven spread of the HS coumpound. 5 C diff between the individual cores is quite common. Another variance between cores is if they are not evenly loaded.

Normally I run Prime95 for two reasons (1) verify cpu/memory stability and (2) to verify effectiveness of HSF at stock and espeacially if I've OC the CPU.

For stability verification need to run a min of 4 Hours, many leave it run for 8+ hours.
Checking temps: Temps will ramp up very quickly so for the first 15 Minutes need to watch closely. If at the end of 15 minutes temps are still at a comfort level, then check about once evey fifteen minutes utill you are sure that the cpu is not a "frying pan"

My I5-750 OCed to 3.2 GHz stays below 60 C and my I5-2500K OCed to 4.2 also stays below 60 C while running prime 95. Their Idle temps are in the 30s (This is for all cores).

currently downloading Prime95 now, Should i try this now or wait until tomorrow when i get my new heatsink? i bought this

Cooler Master Hyper TX-3, hopefully will improve and lower my temps :) 
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 15, 2012 5:51:49 PM

I'd probably wait, but if you do run it with current HSF, then have HWMonitor open befor starting Prime 95. Monitor temps as you may reach high temps within 5 -> 10 min.
It would show you the diff between the stock and the NEW.
March 15, 2012 6:14:38 PM

RetiredChief said:
I'd probably wait, but if you do run it with current HSF, then have HWMonitor open befor starting Prime 95. Monitor temps as you may reach high temps within 5 -> 10 min.
It would show you the diff between the stock and the NEW.

I think i will wait :) , thanks for your advice being a real help!.

Also with the new heatsink i'm getting it comes with cooler master thermal paste shall i use that? or shall i use the MX-2 i have bought?
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 15, 2012 6:30:12 PM

The difference between most of the 3rd party thermal paste is only a few degress and normally not a real concern unless tring for a high OC. I'm not used either of them. You probably could google for a comparision between the diff brands. AS5 is popular (also what I normally use), but not really the best.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound...
As you can see NOT a big difference - The HSF and how well the thermal compound is applied are the 2 Important factors.

And here is MX2
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Do NOT use to compare the two as the tests are differrent.
March 15, 2012 8:43:04 PM

RetiredChief said:
The difference between most of the 3rd party thermal paste is only a few degress and normally not a real concern unless tring for a high OC. I'm not used either of them. You probably could google for a comparision between the diff brands. AS5 is popular (also what I normally use), but not really the best.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound...
As you can see NOT a big difference - The HSF and how well the thermal compound is applied are the 2 Important factors.

And here is MX2
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Do NOT use to compare the two as the tests are differrent.

They are fairly even i would say so i'll stick with my MX-2, Once i get my new heatsink fitted and it is still high temperature would would you suggest the problem is?
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 16, 2012 1:37:36 AM

Let's wait and see - cross that bridge if needed.
Enjoy
March 20, 2012 4:58:46 PM

RetiredChief said:
Let's wait and see - cross that bridge if needed.
Enjoy

Well finally got my TX-3 installed with artic silver 5 paste and here are my readings

Value = 56 Min = 53 Max = 58

Value = 44 Min = 43 Max = 48

Value = 49 Min = 48 Max = 53

Value = 44 Min = 44 Max = 47

They seem very similar not much difference. I have just installed it 5 minutes ago, What do you think?
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 5:22:50 PM

What kind of case do you have? Pull the cover off of your case and see what your temps are.
March 20, 2012 6:18:58 PM

Just taken my door off will report back within the next 30 minutes :) 

Could this be a duff chip? i did buy this of eBay (used item) for £60 and it's a Q8200 rumour has it they do run hot
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 6:24:05 PM

tally2425 said:
Just taken my door off will report back within the next 30 minutes :) 

Could this be a duff chip? i did buy this of eBay (used item) for £60 and it's a Q8200 rumour has it they do run hot

The CPU's TDP is only 95W. My 140W Phenom II 955 doesn't get above 50C on air.
March 20, 2012 6:25:31 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
The CPU's TDP is only 95W. My 140W Phenom II 955 doesn't get above 50C on air.

So are we guessing it's a duff chip? :( 
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 6:30:32 PM

tally2425 said:
So are we guessing it's a duff chip? :( 

I doubt it, if there was something wrong with the CPU you would be having stability issues.
March 20, 2012 6:32:35 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
I doubt it, if there was something wrong with the CPU you would be having stability issues.

What's the best test i can do to see if there is any problems mate?, running pritty much the same temps with the case off :( , what's the next step?
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 6:37:36 PM

tally2425 said:
What's the best test i can do to see if there is any problems mate?, running pritty much the same temps with the case off :( , what's the next step?

I would pull the HSF back off, clean it with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Remove the CPU, clean with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

Read this:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Reapply your thermal paste. Test temps again.
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 20, 2012 7:50:13 PM

Are the temps for idle, or under load. If Idle, try running prime95 and see what they go to - just Monitor closely and 15 min is all you need.

Also what is your room temperature?
March 20, 2012 9:22:24 PM

RetiredChief said:
Are the temps for idle, or under load. If Idle, try running prime95 and see what they go to - just Monitor closely and 15 min is all you need.

Also what is your room temperature?

These are results using Prime95, I used the Blend (Tests some of everything, Lots of RAM tested)

core #0
Value = 64 Min = 54 Max = 65

core #1
Value = 55 Min = 44 Max = 56

core #2
Value = 59 Min = 51 Max = 60

core #3
Value = 55 Min = 44 Max = 57

Has been running for more than 30 minutes and not hit over the 70c marker yet, Would you say this is fine?
March 20, 2012 9:24:14 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
I would pull the HSF back off, clean it with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Remove the CPU, clean with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

Read this:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Reapply your thermal paste. Test temps again.

I did this but only have 70%

I noticed that the thermal paste didn't spend well due to the groves so filled the grooves up with paste rubbed in with fingers then did another pea size blob on the CPU and getting the following readings above with Prime95
March 20, 2012 10:23:12 PM

Well guys this is were it gets more confusing!, Went into the BIOS to see if anything looked weird and came across this

My CPU Temps is at 29c? or am i wrong!
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 10:32:40 PM

tally2425 said:
Well guys this is were it gets more confusing!, Went into the BIOS to see if anything looked weird and came across this

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh592/TeamNoK/ccebc636.jpg

My CPU Temps is at 29c? or am i wrong!

29C is pretty darn good on an air cooler as long as you didn't take that screenshot with the computer still cold. Run some stress tests in Windows and take some temp readings.
March 20, 2012 10:35:03 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
29C is pretty darn good on an air cooler as long as you didn't take that screenshot with the computer still cold. Run some stress tests in Windows and take some temp readings.

How come the readings on Speccy and CPUID GWMontior are coming up as in the 50-60 mark though but then go in BIOS it's on 29c

How do i run stress tests in windows? as i have used Prime95 and get maximum readings of 64c
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 12:20:30 AM

tally2425 said:
How come the readings on Speccy and CPUID GWMontior are coming up as in the 50-60 mark though but then go in BIOS it's on 29c

How do i run stress tests in windows? as i have used Prime95 and get maximum readings of 64c

I hate to tell you this, but Speccy and CPUID may be getting the wrong readings from your motherboard. It happens sometimes with software based temperature software. I would download whatever utility the mobo manufacturer has for temp reading.
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 21, 2012 1:10:41 AM

cpu temp is not the same as the individual cores.
The temperatures you show for after 30 min of prime 95 look good.
For temps I use HWMonitor.
March 21, 2012 6:25:02 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
I hate to tell you this, but Speccy and CPUID may be getting the wrong readings from your motherboard. It happens sometimes with software based temperature software. I would download whatever utility the mobo manufacturer has for temp reading.

I have an ASUS PQ5L Pro motherboard, I have had a look on the website but can't find any utility any idea were i can get one?
March 21, 2012 6:26:37 AM

RetiredChief said:
cpu temp is not the same as the individual cores.
The temperatures you shou for after 30 min of prime 95 look good.
For temps I use HWMonitor.

Them readings were during Prime95 and using HWMonitor.

So my CPU Temp is 29c but all the cores are at 50-60c?
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 1:22:11 PM

tally2425 said:
Them readings were during Prime95 and using HWMonitor.

So my CPU Temp is 29c but all the cores are at 50-60c?

29C is the motherboard reporting, 50-60C is the CPU cores reporting. Typically you only see these figures differ by a few degrees, not 20-30C difference. Maybe someone with more experience with wonky thermal readings will chime in.
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 21, 2012 1:59:38 PM

The diff is your 29 was in Bios (CPU Temp) CPU at nominal freq (Speed).
You then loaded windows, and at Idle your cores are ____. (prabably cose to 30.
Your 50-60 C were for CPU at nominal Freq (Speed) BUT LOADed close to 100% for all four cores. So YES they will be Much higher than bios cpu value.

Added: Generally core Temps @ Idle should be around +9 C above Ambient room temp.
March 21, 2012 2:04:02 PM

I have watched a few videos and i'm going to use the 'Spreading technique' when i apply thermal paste to my CPU so it gets totally covered as i have pipes and could be causing it to not spread on the CPU, If this doesn't work i'm totally out of options ha
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 21, 2012 2:07:19 PM

Just keep this in mind, there is a fine line between too much and too little - Both conditions decrease performance of the HS.
March 21, 2012 2:09:58 PM

RetiredChief said:
Just keep this in mind, there is a fine line between too much and too little - Both conditions decrease performance of the HS.

Yep well i can try just to see if it makes any difference :) 
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 3:39:05 PM

I've used speedfan before to watch my temperatures. The trick to the program is that the cpu temp that fluctuates the most is your cpu temp. So run a game and monitor which temp rises and cools the fastest and that's the cpu temp. Good Luck.
March 21, 2012 7:11:26 PM

These are the results using Speedfan whilst running Prime95

I am out of ideas to get my CPU temps lower :( 
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 21, 2012 7:30:43 PM

For speed fan, verify tjMax is correct, How does speed fan compare with HWMonitor. On My Z68 HWMonitor is good on the core temperaturs (Voltage were out of wack).

Didn't catch ambient (Room temp) for ever 1 C above room temp of 20 C expect about 1.5->2.0 C increase in Core temps.

PS I would not sweat a 68 C with Prime 95 unless planning to OC. Games will be lower.
March 21, 2012 7:38:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
For speed fan, verify tjMax is correct, How does speed fan compare with HWMonitor. On My Z68 HWMonitor is good on the core temperaturs (Voltage were out of wack).

Didn't catch ambient (Room temp) for ever 1 C above room temp of 20 C expect about 1.5->2.0 C increase in Core temps.

PS I would not sweat a 68 C with Prime 95 unless planning to OC. Games will be lower.

I think i will just leave it as it is. It's not going over 70c which is good i guess. Thanks for all your help :) .

I would like to know what is causing the CPU to get to these temps though i guess i never will :( 
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 8:04:08 PM

I would be more inclined to believe the mobo temp readout (titled "CPU"). Like I said before, I think there is an incompatibility with temp software and your mobo. Otherwise, I would suspect the temp sensor in the CPU may be faulty. However, this is all purely speculation.
March 21, 2012 8:14:49 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
I would be more inclined to believe the mobo temp readout (titled "CPU"). Like I said before, I think there is an incompatibility with temp software and your mobo. Otherwise, I would suspect the temp sensor in the CPU may be faulty. However, this is all purely speculation.

Thanks that could be so. I'm having no issues with the CPU so far so all is good and hope it's just faulty sensor :)  ha
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
March 22, 2012 12:54:08 AM

DON'T sweat the diff between individual cores and CPU. The temps sensors for the cores are located where the heat is being generated. The CPU sensor located much closer to the top of the CPU and benifits more from the HS.

What you need to do is confirm the reading of the core temps. ie try a couple of programs and see how they compare. There is an offset (tjMax) that if incorrectly applied will make a diff.
!