Sign in with
Your question

Silver Arrow won't fit in

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2011 7:47:23 PM

Hi guys,

just built the whole new system and but I am dissapointed to see that Thermalright Silver Arrow doesn't fit to Fractal Design Define R3 (read in many places that it will). And, yes I have a low profile RAM but it wouldn't fit even without the RAM installed!

What are some alternatives which are smaller but still efficient and quiet. I don't need super duper efficency, maybe I will be overclocking in the future but it would be nice to have something quiet.

Another dissapointment is the PSU - the Corsair TX750 V2 is the laudest part of the whole biuld and I have two fans on GPU, two in my case, two on the CPU and yet it's only the PSU one that is making most audible noise - rather annoying (that's not even under load, just on idle). What are some other good 750 W quiet PSU (and I am going modular this time because this was PITA to install).

My spec:
i2500k
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3
Asus GTX 560Ti TOP
and the pieces mentioned in the text above

Cheers.

More about : silver arrow fit

December 9, 2011 8:01:40 PM

Hyper 212+ but not sure if It will fit thats something you can do on a friday night ;) 
December 9, 2011 10:03:52 PM

For a silent, modular psu, you can't beat the Seasonic X750 Gold 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You will pay a premium for it unless it is on sale.
That is what I use with a GTX580, and the fan does not turn on, or at least I can't hear it.
That is because of the Gold efficiency rating.
Related resources
December 10, 2011 3:50:43 PM

^+1 on the Seasonic X750 or X760.
Other good options: Corsair HX750/850 - which are semi modular, but basically you end up connecting all the fixed cables anyway.

As for cooler: Do some research if Scythe Mugen 3 fits - also a pretty decent choice.
December 10, 2011 4:10:48 PM

What is the Cooler hitting ? Have you tried rotating the Silver Arrow 90 degrees. It's supposed to blow to rear but can be installed blowing up....which I have done on several occasions.

Depending on what is hitting, ya might find the genesis useful
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 11, 2011 8:19:46 PM

Thanks. need to have a look.

Rotating silver arrow 90 degrees won't help as it sticks out not due to RAM but generally it's just too high.
!