ATI Update Deactivated Gfx

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hello all, firstly the software/hardware in question.

MoBo : MSI 880GM-E41 880G Socket AM3 onboard graphics 8 channel HD audio mATX Motherboard
On Board GFx : ATI Radeon HD 4250
Secondary GFx : ATI Radeon HD 4600

I've had these 2 cards working since the start of the year with no issues. I just ran Windows Update which had an ATI update included (non-essential) After running the update and through all the screen flickers, my second monitor on the 4250 won't activate.

When i look at the Windows Update again it tells me I have another non-essential update for the HD 4250 Card, but when i run it, it fails. Giving me the reason, through a code, that I have better software installed on my system.

I've looked through my display settings and catalyst but my system no longer seems to recognise the display.

Has anyone had this issue and/or does anyone know how to solve it.

Any ideas would be great. I'm hoping it's nothing in the BIOS i don't like poking around in there without knowing exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Found a post on something that asked the question of whether the onBoard GFx was simply deactivated or whether there was a conflict since the update.

Went into the bios and deactivated the "surround" view which was the only way to get the 2 monitors working before. This made the onBoard primary and the card secondary basically. And after a restart it's working.

Sorry for the post and quick fix, i've been looking for the last 3 hours.

But hope that the above solution may help someone.