Strange FPS problems

fenryr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hello,
recently and without known reason( so far) ive been experiencing a FPS drops in games. these fps drops are a 10 frame drop, these happen regardless of what my graphical settings are ( even at lowest they still happen) regardless of where i am/what im doing.they last for 10 to 15 minutes, and then fps goes back up to 60. At first i assumed it was an overheating issue and started monitoring my cpu temperature and it wasnt, so moving on to the next in line i checked drivers; all were up to date, even rolled then back, to no avail, reinstalled newest, nothing changed. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

fenryr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
te are all basic things that ive already done, besides windows 7 auto defrags.

my specs are:

core i7 870 2.93 ghz

8gb of ddr3 1600mhz Kingston Hyper Blue RAM

Nvidia GeForce 800 GT superclocked edition. ( old card, but up until a week or two ago i played games like WoW on high settings at a constant 60 fps)

Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 motherboard

Power supply ? It is usually diffacult to do trouble shooting by posting messages and it naturally would be much better to get hands on or even over the phone , so when all we have is the post you have to give us ALL the details , components and how old things are. Right now with what you have posted the video card stands out to me as the weak link. Since parts do not last forever that is one of the reasons I asked how old your components are and what they are. As ET900 posted if you have programs running in the background it could affect your fps. Try editing your start menue and turn off all unnecessary programs except your game, explorer and sys tray and if you want your antivirus on make sure it isn't running a scan.
800GT ? Do you mean 8800GT.

fenryr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
8800gt* sorry it was a typo i didnt catch.

and my PSU is a 850w OCZ Cool and Quiet w/ noise reducer

its not a program running in the background, it would make sense that is was another program if i was experiencing high CPU usage ( my cpu is never over 10% under max load during a game) and my memory usage is at 23% ( windows Aero and etc)

the 8800 is an older card liek i said, but also as i previously said i hadnt been having any problems previously, it was just recently that this started happening.

I even thought it might be a memory leak, but it wasnt : /

When a piece of hardware goes bad it just happens , no warning , no error message saying in 5 days yuor video card will go bad , it just happens. That could be the case here where you were using it and everything is fine and then BANG you start getting low fps in a game. Same can be said for your power supply , it can just slowly stop working at peak effecientcy. You will have to try and determine which component is causeing the problem. Do you have or know someone who has a power supply tester.

fenryr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

no i dont ><

TRENDING THREADS