PSP UMD DVD's!?!?!?

I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?
17 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I want
    on the psp.

    I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    worth it.

    RnR Lesnar

    "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
    >why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    >movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

    I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great
    of movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a
    price point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think
    around the $10 mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make
    this work and actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies.
    Otherwise they are not going to sell any at all at these prices and
    especially for the quality of movies they are offering at this point.

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    > I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great
    > of movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a
    > price point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think
    > around the $10 mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make
    > this work and actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies.
    > Otherwise they are not going to sell any at all at these prices and
    > especially for the quality of movies they are offering at this point.

    $9.99? You can't even buy a VHS movie for that price--not the newer
    releases, anyway. I think $14.99 is a more reasonable price point, same as
    a DVD, with $19.99 for the very top end. $29.99 is absurd, though. And
    apart from the price, I think they need to get some AAA titles--Star Wars,
    James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Aliens, etc. Action movies,
    of course...but also classics, family films, and movies that appeal to
    women.

    > RnR Lesnar wrote:
    > > Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    > > compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I
    want
    > > on the psp.
    > >
    > > I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    > > worth it.
    > >
    > > RnR Lesnar
    > >

    > > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why,
    why,
    > >>why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    > >>movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

    A UMD is probably cheaper and quicker to make than a vhs.

    RnR Lesnar

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >> I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great
    >> of movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a
    >> price point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think
    >> around the $10 mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make
    >> this work and actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies.
    >> Otherwise they are not going to sell any at all at these prices and
    >> especially for the quality of movies they are offering at this point.
    >
    > $9.99? You can't even buy a VHS movie for that price--not the newer
    > releases, anyway. I think $14.99 is a more reasonable price point, same
    > as
    > a DVD, with $19.99 for the very top end. $29.99 is absurd, though. And
    > apart from the price, I think they need to get some AAA titles--Star Wars,
    > James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Aliens, etc. Action movies,
    > of course...but also classics, family films, and movies that appeal to
    > women.
    >

    >> RnR Lesnar wrote:
    >> > Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    >> > compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I
    > want
    >> > on the psp.
    >> >
    >> > I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    >> > worth it.
    >> >
    >> > RnR Lesnar
    >> >

    >> > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > why,

    Irrat8ed <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
    > I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
    > why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    > movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

    I'd read an article on gamespot that Bandai was doing a DVD/UMD combo
    release of a new anime series for ~$59, or ~$39 without the UMD.
    Considering I can buy DVDs for $10, the UMD would have to be $5-7 at
    most to get me interested.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
    > why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    > movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

    I got Resident Evil Apocolypse for $18 CAN. it's a good movie, I'd prefer to
    start making my own UMD movies from my exsisting DVD collection, since I've
    seen the UMD R / RW disks this morning in Wal Mart it got me thinking it's
    the way to go, since the time it takes to convert the files is unpleasent,
    using a memory chip is not worth it either, also if they are planing to
    charge $29 CAN. for titles like Pirates of the Caribbean it's really worth
    burning your own.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great of
    >movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a price
    >point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think around the $10
    >mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make this work and
    >actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies. Otherwise they
    >are not going to sell any at all at these prices and especially for the
    >quality of movies they are offering at this point.
    >

    > RnR Lesnar wrote:
    >> Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    >> compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I
    >> want on the psp.
    >>
    >> I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    >> worth it.
    >>
    >> RnR Lesnar
    >>

    >> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why,
    >>>why, why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10
    >>>for a movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

    Well there on sale at best buy from 13.99 to 19.99. I was there today and
    they had the original prices on them still. Pirates was 29.99 I think.
    They shouldve had the for sale prices on them because there was a ton of
    them. I was thinking of picking up hellboy, but I opted not to since I was
    buying something else already plus im waiting for my 1gig to come.
    Plus if no one buys these hopefully theyll get the message and lower the
    prices.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    lonesw0rdsman wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great of
    >>movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a price
    >>point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think around the $10
    >>mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make this work and
    >>actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies. Otherwise they
    >>are not going to sell any at all at these prices and especially for the
    >>quality of movies they are offering at this point.
    >>

    >>RnR Lesnar wrote:
    >>
    >>>Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    >>>compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I
    >>>want on the psp.
    >>>
    >>>I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    >>>worth it.
    >>>
    >>>RnR Lesnar
    >>>

    >>>"Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > Well there on sale at best buy from 13.99 to 19.99. I was there today and
    > they had the original prices on them still. Pirates was 29.99 I think.
    > They shouldve had the for sale prices on them because there was a ton of
    > them. I was thinking of picking up hellboy, but I opted not to since I was
    > buying something else already plus im waiting for my 1gig to come.
    > Plus if no one buys these hopefully theyll get the message and lower the
    > prices.

    I did see that this weekend in their ad now that you mention it. Still
    those prices are too high, especially when it is movies that a good
    portion of people that were interested in them bought already on DVD
    most likely. There is no reason or incentive to buy one at those prices
    at all.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message

    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >>I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great of
    >>movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a price
    >>point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think around the
    >>$10 mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make this work and
    >>actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies. Otherwise they
    >>are not going to sell any at all at these prices and especially for the
    >>quality of movies they are offering at this point.
    >>

    >> RnR Lesnar wrote:
    >>> Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    >>> compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I
    >>> want on the psp.
    >>>
    >>> I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    >>> worth it.
    >>>
    >>> RnR Lesnar
    >>>

    >>> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > Well there on sale at best buy from 13.99 to 19.99. I was there today and
    > they had the original prices on them still. Pirates was 29.99 I think.
    > They shouldve had the for sale prices on them because there was a ton of
    > them. I was thinking of picking up hellboy, but I opted not to since I was
    > buying something else already plus im waiting for my 1gig to come.
    > Plus if no one buys these hopefully theyll get the message and lower the
    > prices.

    I think the only one I will pick up is the House of the Flying Daggers.
    That movie is sweet. Everything else, I will just Netflix, rip, and put on
    my memory stick.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why,
    >> why,
    >> why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    >> movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?
    >>

    > I got Resident Evil Apocolypse for $18 CAN. it's a good movie, I'd prefer
    > start making my own UMD movies from my exsisting DVD collection, since
    > I've
    > seen the UMD R / RW disks this morning in Wal Mart it got me thinking it's
    > the way to go, since the time it takes to convert the files is unpleasent,
    > using a memory chip is not worth it either, also if they are planing to
    > charge $29 CAN. for titles like Pirates of the Caribbean it's really worth
    > burning your own.

    A umd burner ? How much was it ?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why,
    >>> why,
    >>> why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    >>> movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?
    >>>

    >> I got Resident Evil Apocolypse for $18 CAN. it's a good movie, I'd prefer
    >> start making my own UMD movies from my exsisting DVD collection, since
    >> I've
    >> seen the UMD R / RW disks this morning in Wal Mart it got me thinking
    >> it's
    >> the way to go, since the time it takes to convert the files is
    >> unpleasent,
    >> using a memory chip is not worth it either, also if they are planing to
    >> charge $29 CAN. for titles like Pirates of the Caribbean it's really
    >> worth
    >> burning your own.
    >>

    > A umd burner ? How much was it ?

    Nevermind. I thought you said you saw the burner , but you were talking
    about the rw umd disks.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > >> I got Resident Evil Apocolypse for $18 CAN. it's a good movie, I'd
    prefer
    > >> start making my own UMD movies from my exsisting DVD collection, since
    > >> I've
    > >> seen the UMD R / RW disks this morning in Wal Mart it got me thinking
    > >> it's
    > >> the way to go, since the time it takes to convert the files is
    > >> unpleasent,
    > >> using a memory chip is not worth it either, also if they are planing to
    > >> charge $29 CAN. for titles like Pirates of the Caribbean it's really
    > >> worth
    > >> burning your own.
    > >>

    > > A umd burner ? How much was it ?
    > >
    > Nevermind. I thought you said you saw the burner , but you were talking
    > about the rw umd disks.

    Aye, I would think if you have a DVD burner it would possibly burn to the
    3in. size UMD disks just like DVD but not sure yet what software will do
    that.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "lonesw0rdsman" <ga@lone.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Rengaw" <rengaw@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > prefer
    > > >>

    > > > A umd burner ? How much was it ?
    > > >
    > > Nevermind. I thought you said you saw the burner , but you were talking
    > > about the rw umd disks.
    > >

    > Aye, I would think if you have a DVD burner it would possibly burn to the
    > 3in. size UMD disks just like DVD but not sure yet what software will do
    > that.

    Ok my bad, I just came back from Wal Mart, it's not UMD disc's their selling
    after all, they are just MD disc's for the walkman portable, they are almost
    exactly the same is size and shape except upon closer inspection they have
    no rounded corners on the top side like PSP's case shape, one has to wonder
    though it you took out one of those from the case and carefully remove the
    cover from a PSP style one if you couldn't just use them, just record your
    music or what ever on one and slip it into the PSP style case.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Android wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I can't believe the ones they have out for $29.99...not even that great
    >>of movies. The ones that are $14.99 are not any better, except from a
    >>price point of view. Might work at $12.99 at the MOST, but I think
    >>around the $10 mark is what they are going to have to shoot for to make
    >>this work and actually be able to move and sell some of the UMD movies.
    >>Otherwise they are not going to sell any at all at these prices and
    >>especially for the quality of movies they are offering at this point.
    >

    > $9.99? You can't even buy a VHS movie for that price--not the newer
    > releases, anyway. I think $14.99 is a more reasonable price point, same as
    > a DVD, with $19.99 for the very top end. $29.99 is absurd, though. And
    > apart from the price, I think they need to get some AAA titles--Star Wars,
    > James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Aliens, etc. Action movies,
    > of course...but also classics, family films, and movies that appeal to
    > women.

    If I am going to buy a movie for $14.99, which you can find a large
    portion of new releases for (at most $15.99 for new release DVDs) I am
    going to purchase the DVD version at that price. Most others will also,
    as they will get more use out of it and it is going to have more content
    (extras, etc..) than the UMD version can hold. I really don't see that
    large of a crowd who is going to buy multiple versions of a movie,
    especially when you can/could just rip it from a dvd and move it to a
    memory stick. To make these sucessful they are going to have to sell
    them for less than the DVD version of the film and at a price that
    consumers will see as reasonable. I agree also the selection is pretty
    lame so far, but also things you mention people likely own them already
    on DVD if they are fans of them. So in that instance where is the
    incentive or reasoning to purchase another version, and one that is only
    usable on this one device? At $10 some, and I do mean some, MIGHT
    purchase a second copy of one of those movies on UMD. At the same price
    as a DVD though, or as is right now higher than a DVD in most instances
    it is not going to fly and those UMD movies are going to collect dust in
    the stores.

    >>RnR Lesnar wrote:
    >>
    >>>Once my 1gb memory stick comes in, I can just have a library of psp
    >>>compatible movies on my pc by converting DVDs and choose which movie I
    >>
    > want
    >
    >>>on the psp.
    >>>
    >>>I wouldnt mind paying $10 for a umd movie, but anything over that isn't
    >>>worth it.
    >>>
    >>>RnR Lesnar
    >>>

    >>>"Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > why,

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
    > why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    > movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

    Look for these $30 UMD movies tin the $4.99 bargain bin next year...

    That is rediculous. The UMD movies should just be sold for $5 less than
    their DVD counterpart.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    I just figured out you could just coy portions of a DVD movie using DVD
    shrink. I've done this to a few scenes from movies I wanted to test on the
    PSP. I've got PSP Video 9 converting them at 512kbps and they look great on
    the PSP. At that rate, there are a few somehwat blocky scenes, but only
    during fast motion. I'd say the quality is inbetween VHS and DVD. Of course
    the quality can be made better, but you need more space. Dell better ship my
    memory stick this week, its supposed to ship by or before the 25th.

    I have Return of the King down to 545megs at good quality, Lion King down to
    372 megs at good quality, and Tommy Boy down to 207 megs at average quality.
    So on a gig, in many cases I'll be able to have 2 movies on my psp at once.
    That plus more efficient battery life, there's no point in buying UMD's
    especially at their current price.

    RnR Lesnar

    "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
    >why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    >movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "RnR Lesnar" <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just figured out you could just coy portions of a DVD movie using DVD
    >shrink. I've done this to a few scenes from movies I wanted to test on the
    >PSP. I've got PSP Video 9 converting them at 512kbps and they look great on
    >the PSP. At that rate, there are a few somehwat blocky scenes, but only
    >during fast motion. I'd say the quality is inbetween VHS and DVD. Of course
    >the quality can be made better, but you need more space. Dell better ship
    >my memory stick this week, its supposed to ship by or before the 25th.
    >
    > I have Return of the King down to 545megs at good quality, Lion King down
    > to 372 megs at good quality, and Tommy Boy down to 207 megs at average
    > quality. So on a gig, in many cases I'll be able to have 2 movies on my
    > psp at once. That plus more efficient battery life, there's no point in
    > buying UMD's especially at their current price.

    I stream TV shows and movies from my 512 memory stick all of the time and
    the battery life from the memory stick is well over 7 hours if you aren't
    playing any games. It may be even more but I never turn off wi-fi.

    > RnR Lesnar
    >
    > "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>I just saw Kill Bill and Pirates of The Caribbean for $30 each...why, why,
    >>why? Is anyone planning on watching movies this way? I'd do $10 for a
    >>movie on a UMD. Is Sony this stupid...or am I this stupid?

Console Gaming Sony Movies PlayStation Video Games