display external jpg on EOS 10D?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 3, 2005 7:20:52 AM

(this is a repost; previous one no show)

In order to run some tests on the EOS 10D's LCD display, I generated a jpg
file with photoshop 6 and put it on a CF card which I then put in the
camera. Unfortunately, it says "incompatible jpg format". Does anyone know
how to make this work?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:20:53 AM

peter wrote:

> (this is a repost; previous one no show)
>
> In order to run some tests on the EOS 10D's LCD display, I generated a jpg
> file with photoshop 6 and put it on a CF card which I then put in the
> camera. Unfortunately, it says "incompatible jpg format". Does anyone know
> how to make this work?

Lots of people have reported problems with various cameras doing any
sort of changes to the camera's memory card/image formatting. I think
you are SOL (Sheet Out of Luck).
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:20:53 AM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 03:20:52 GMT, peter wrote:

> In order to run some tests on the EOS 10D's LCD display, I generated a jpg
> file with photoshop 6 and put it on a CF card which I then put in the
> camera. Unfortunately, it says "incompatible jpg format". Does anyone know
> how to make this work?

Try working backwards. Make a trivial edit of a jpg file taken
from the EOS 10D and see if it can be copied back to the CF card and
displayed. If that works, try it again, changing only the
compression ratio. Did the horizontal and vertical dimension in
pixels of the file you generated exactly match one of the 10D's
formats?

Lastly, some cameras store only the JPG files on the flash cards.
But some Canon PowerShot cameras not only store the JPG files, but a
couple of database files in another subdirectory containing
information about the JPG files. This is presumably used only by
the camera (unless Canon's ZoomBrowser software also uses it). I
don't know if the 10D also has database files on its cards in
addition to the JPGs, but if it does, try renaming your computer
generated JPG file to match one already on the card, and then
replace it. If the 10D doesn't use these database files, then . . .
never mind . . .
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:16:39 PM

peter wrote:
> (this is a repost; previous one no show)
>
> In order to run some tests on the EOS 10D's LCD display, I generated
> a jpg file with photoshop 6 and put it on a CF card which I then put
> in the camera. Unfortunately, it says "incompatible jpg format". Does
> anyone know how to make this work?

You could try my TVwriter program from:

http://www.satsignal.net/ => Image Tools, TVwriter

There's a free demo version for testing if it works. It will prepare a
JPEG for in-camera viewing, including Canon G2, G3, G5, S45, S100, S200,
S300, S410, S500, but it doesn't work for all cameras.

Cheers,
David
!