Sign in with
Your question

How come I still lagg with 6850+new comp?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2011 2:57:03 AM

Okay well, on my old computer, which had the following specs:

Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU E2200 @ 2.2ghz
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Dell optiplex 360 motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT

I would play games like Dragon Nest, GunZ, APB : Reloaded, etc.
They all lagged except GunZ didn't really lagg much.

I thought buying (or building) myself a new computer would fix the lagg in all of them, and for the most part it did, but I still get hiccups and even lagg turning the mouse sometimes (the mouse turn lagg is more noticable in Dragon Nest)

My NEW computer that I built has the following specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE 3.5ghz
8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
ASRock 970 extreme3 motherboard
Antec Neo Eco 520c 520w powersupply : (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) <----- People told me that should be more than enough)

My friend who has a worse processor, and a worse graphics card (a GTS 250) tells me he runs those games no problems, no hiccups, no lagg at ALL. How come with my better computer, I'm getting worse gaming results? Yes I have the latest drivers, and yes I play on High settings, but Dragon Nest and APB: Reloaded should not lag at ALL with these specs..

I tried 3dMark 11 or whatever and it said my computer is the same as other similar computers but how could someone with a worse graphics card and worse processor have better gaming results than me?

And to add on to it, my friend who recently bought a GTS 250 and has a 2.5ghz Dual core processor E5200 only has 10 fps less than me in A.V.A everything maxed settings. (I get around 45 in that sniper map, he gets around 30)

Something is obviously wrong here, but what?!?!

$5 to anyone who finds me the answer.

This is really saddening me I was hoping to have a computer that could run almost every game with no lagg..and after I built it, it's not giving me what I want.

More about : lagg 6850 comp

December 10, 2011 3:08:37 AM

because you either have a higher resolution monitor ,or you have detail settings higher , or you have a 32 bit OS and they have 64 bit
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:12:39 AM

Outlander_04 said:
because you either have a higher resolution monitor ,or you have detail settings higher , or you have a 32 bit OS and they have 64 bit

We both have it on max settings, I have a 64 bit OS, and my monitor is only 17 inch and I tried every resolution.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2011 3:29:40 AM

then your friend is lying about the settings he runs at
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:46:15 AM

he is simply lying, i think he is running games at low resolution with low settings.
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:48:45 AM

The 6850 won't bottleneck in your new system so no lag in your system. as comparison of fps in your new pc & your friend's pc , may be your friend is running that game at lower resolution (non hd or may be 720p without AA) and you are running at full hd with max out settings with AA. so without AA and at lower resolution his pc is doing a good fps like 30fps or so
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:55:47 AM

theuniquegamer said:
The 6850 won't bottleneck in your new system so no lag in your system. as comparison of fps in your new pc & your friend's pc , may be your friend is running that game at lower resolution (non hd or may be 720p without AA) and you are running at full hd with max out settings with AA. so without AA and at lower resolution his pc is doing a good fps like 30fps or so

I don't think he's lying, but either way, I'm getting stutters every couple of seconds. I even tried it with the lowest settings on APB: Reloaded, and I STILL get stutters.

I read somewhere that the 6800 series is known for stutters but I mean....should it really be that bad? Should I RMA my 6850 and just buy a NVIDIA card? ;/
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:57:51 AM

kandon said:
I don't think he's lying, but either way, I'm getting stutters every couple of seconds. I even tried it with the lowest settings on APB: Reloaded, and I STILL get stutters.

I read somewhere that the 6800 series is known for stutters but I mean....should it really be that bad? Should I RMA my 6850 and just buy a NVIDIA card? ;/

stuttering only occurs when you are using two gpu's in xfire, single one will not stutter
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:01:53 AM

manu 11 said:
stuttering only occurs when you are using two gpu's in xfire, single one will not stutter

Well...I'm stuttering lol. So should I RMA it and get a new NVIDIA card? ;/
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:03:55 AM

first step of any debugging is checking temps, download HWmonitor or something like it, check temps, run Furmark for about 20 mins, make sure you take note of the temps, report back here with the max temp of the gpu

Then do the same with the cpu, except this time use Prime95 to test temps with, and again 20 minutes

Don't run these programs at the same time, furmark and prime95 I mean... its fine to use furmark/hwmonitor or prime95/HWmonitor :) 

And I'm not sure what your problem is in AVA/Gunz, I am running those games maxed out (I have my shadows on medium in ava and thats it) and I simply have a 5670 res is 1920 x 1080, 2x AA... yup...
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:07:15 AM

mouse24 said:
first step of any debugging is checking temps, download HWmonitor or something like it, check temps, run Furmark for about 20 mins, make sure you take note of the temps, report back here with the max temp of the gpu

Then do the same with the cpu, except this time use Prime95 to test temps with, and again 20 minutes

Don't run these programs at the same time, furmark and prime95 I mean... its fine to use furmark/hwmonitor or prime95/HWmonitor :) 

And I'm not sure what your problem is in AVA/Gunz, I am running those games maxed out (I have my shadows on medium in ava and thats it) and I simply have a 5670 res is 1920 x 1080, 2x AA... yup...

Like I said its not really the lagg, its more the stutters. They're annoying the heck out of me.

Also, I checked, my average temp while gaming is 60 degrees celsius.

For CPU, its around 45
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:13:19 AM

Stupid question, but have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers? Another thing you might want to check is to ensure you have the card installed in the 16x pci-e lane. If you've got it stuck in a 4x... well, just check.
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:16:55 AM

a4mula said:
Stupid question, but have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers? Another thing you might want to check is to ensure you have the card installed in the 16x pci-e lane. If you've got it stuck in a 4x... well, just check.

Yeah its in the PCIe 2 lane which on the motherboard manual it says its 16x. ;/

And yes I have the latest drivers
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:17:57 AM

kandon said:
Yeah its in the PCIe 2 lane which on the motherboard manual it says its 16x. ;/

And yes I have the latest drivers

Is that the topmost lane, or the one near the middle of the board?
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:50:56 AM

a4mula said:
Is that the topmost lane, or the one near the middle of the board?

Pretty sure the topmost. It's the one closest to the processor.
m
l
!