What Movies WOULD You Buy On UMD for PSP?

I'm sure you've seen the new UMD movie releases priced at $29.99...the same
movies that sell for $19.99 as a DVD with special features not present on
the UMD version. There are also $14.99 UMD movies, thankfully, but
unfortunately these aren't exactly AAA titles.

Some of us will never buy a UMD movie no matter what. Some will get a 1 or
2 GB memory stick and rip a DVD to play off of it. But there has to be a
few of us who would buy a UMD movie if it were priced right and if it was a
film worth owning in multiple formats. Assuming that there will one day be
a UMD player for the home, what movie would you buy for $15 on UMD? And
would you be willing to pay $20 for it? Knowing that Sony wants to also
attract the non-gamer crowd, what films do you think they ought to release
on UMD even if you would never buy them personally?

I'd buy some of the James Bond films, the original Star Wars trilogy, the
Lord of the Rings trilogy, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Indiana Jones
trilogy, Toy Story, the first Matrix, Replacement Killers, Star Trek: First
Contact, The Incredibles, or X-Men for $15. Those aren't my favorite
movies, but films that I think would be okay in "quick doses" on the PSP. I
don't think I'd pay $20 for more than a couple of them, though. And I think
they need to release classics (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, A Night at the
Opera), and films that appeal to kids and families (Little Mermaid, Aladdin,
Beauty & The Beast, The Wizard of Oz) and women. So far, all the movie
releases seem geared at the stereotypical gamer audience--an 18 year-old
male.

Simpsons and Family Guy episodes would also be a great idea--you may not be
in a place to watch a 2 hour movie on the PSP, but a 1/2 hour television
show would be just enough time.

> Simpsons and Family Guy episodes would also be a great idea--you may not
> be
> in a place to watch a 2 hour movie on the PSP, but a 1/2 hour television
> show would be just enough time.

You can rip those 22 mintue episodes to the PSP and take up so little space
that it just isn't worth putting them on UMD. I've even ripped a few looney
tune cartoons from my Golden Collection and each of those is only about
15-20 megs at decent quality. I only have the 32 meg card right now, but
when I get the gig, I'll improve the quality.

RnR Lesnar

Android wrote:

None, zilch, zero, and although I don't own one my son does and I
don't think he's greatly tempted. Obviously when travelling it would
be okay but otherwise, hell, I have enough problems watching them on a
21 inch screen with real speakers. We also have so many damned
machines capable of playing, recording or both - this bit of kit was
bought to play games.

--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> Assuming that there will one day be
> a UMD player for the home, what movie would you buy for $15 on UMD?

Not a one, especially with HD DVD in the near future.

> And would you be willing to pay $20 for it?

No.

> Knowing that Sony wants to also
> attract the non-gamer crowd, what films do you think they ought to release
> on UMD even if you would never buy them personally?

Porn. Plain and simple.

I personally believe due to the cost & limitations that movies on UMD
aren't going to be around for long. Right now I suspect it's the novelty
factor. There is a market segment I suppose, people who travel & don't want
to carry a portable DVD player but I suspect that's a fairly small market.
So unless the movies on UMD were roughly 1/2 the price of a DVD I'd be
unlikely to buy one since you are losing out on extras & the other
conveniences of a DVD.

There'd have to be a rental channel to really make UMDs worth while for
travel, etc.

Android wrote:
> I'm sure you've seen the new UMD movie releases priced at $29.99...the same
> movies that sell for $19.99 as a DVD with special features not present on
> the UMD version. There are also $14.99 UMD movies, thankfully, but
> unfortunately these aren't exactly AAA titles.
>
> Some of us will never buy a UMD movie no matter what. Some will get a 1 or
> 2 GB memory stick and rip a DVD to play off of it. But there has to be a
> few of us who would buy a UMD movie if it were priced right and if it was a
> film worth owning in multiple formats. Assuming that there will one day be
> a UMD player for the home, what movie would you buy for $15 on UMD? And
> would you be willing to pay $20 for it? Knowing that Sony wants to also
> attract the non-gamer crowd, what films do you think they ought to release
> on UMD even if you would never buy them personally?
>
> I'd buy some of the James Bond films, the original Star Wars trilogy, the
> Lord of the Rings trilogy, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Indiana Jones
> trilogy, Toy Story, the first Matrix, Replacement Killers, Star Trek: First
> Contact, The Incredibles, or X-Men for $15. Those aren't my favorite
> movies, but films that I think would be okay in "quick doses" on the PSP. I
> don't think I'd pay $20 for more than a couple of them, though. And I think
> they need to release classics (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, A Night at the
> Opera), and films that appeal to kids and families (Little Mermaid, Aladdin,
> Beauty & The Beast, The Wizard of Oz) and women. So far, all the movie
> releases seem geared at the stereotypical gamer audience--an 18 year-old
> male.

I posted this in the other thread where this is going on just a minute
or so ago...so here it is again. Copy and pasted:

If I am going to buy a movie for $14.99, which you can find a large
portion of new releases for (at most $15.99 for new release DVDs) I am
going to purchase the DVD version at that price. Most others will also,
as they will get more use out of it and it is going to have more content
(extras, etc..) than the UMD version can hold. I really don't see that
large of a crowd who is going to buy multiple versions of a movie,
especially when you can/could just rip it from a dvd and move it to a
memory stick. To make these sucessful they are going to have to sell
them for less than the DVD version of the film and at a price that
consumers will see as reasonable. I agree also the selection is pretty
lame so far, but also things you mention people likely own them already
on DVD if they are fans of them. So in that instance where is the
incentive or reasoning to purchase another version, and one that is only
usable on this one device? At $10 some, and I do mean some, MIGHT
purchase a second copy of one of those movies on UMD. At the same price
as a DVD though, or as is right now higher than a DVD in most instances
it is not going to fly and those UMD movies are going to collect dust in
the stores.

> Simpsons and Family Guy episodes would also be a great idea--you may not be
> in a place to watch a 2 hour movie on the PSP, but a 1/2 hour television
> show would be just enough time.

These type things will work and are well suited for it, but again and
especially in this instance a large portion of people will move them
over to a memory stick from whatever source and do it that way. Big fans
of those series again likely already own the DVD versions of those Tv
shows. So where is the reasoning or incentive to purchase another
version? And in this instance one that would be MUCH higher than the DVD
version. If a DVD season set is $30 (just a number off the top of my
head but close to what a good portion go for) then how much would a
season of a show on UMD be? Probably triple that is my guess at the
current prices, double it at the cheapest. Just not going to work.

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Android wrote:

None, zilch, zero, and although I don't own one my son does and I
don't think he's greatly tempted. Obviously when travelling it would
be okay but otherwise, hell, I have enough problems watching them on a
21 inch screen with real speakers. We also have so many damned
machines capable of playing, recording or both - this bit of kit was
bought to play games.

--
Paul (That's what keeps me down)

My thoughts exactly, just use a portable DVD player, then you won't have to
worry about multiple formats and you get the extra features, you can get
some for less then 200 bucks nowadays and that is only half of a weekly
check for most people.
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
>I personally believe due to the cost & limitations that movies on UMD
> aren't going to be around for long. Right now I suspect it's the novelty
> factor. There is a market segment I suppose, people who travel & don't
> want
> to carry a portable DVD player but I suspect that's a fairly small market.
> So unless the movies on UMD were roughly 1/2 the price of a DVD I'd be
> unlikely to buy one since you are losing out on extras & the other
> conveniences of a DVD.

I would buy UMD movies only if there were a way to hook my PSP up to my PC
to watch them on my monitor or Television to watch them there. I am hoping
there is a way to hook the PSP up to the television to play games on the
larger screen too. We shall see what happens.

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> large of a crowd who is going to buy multiple versions of a movie,
> especially when you can/could just rip it from a dvd and move it to a
> memory stick. To make these sucessful they are going to have to sell them
> for less than the DVD version of the film and at a price that consumers
> will see as reasonable. I agree also the selection is pretty lame so far,
> but also things you mention people likely own them already on DVD if they
> are fans of them. So in that instance where is the incentive or reasoning
> to purchase another version, and one that is only usable on this one
> device? At $10 some, and I do mean some, MIGHT purchase a second copy of
> one of those movies on UMD. At the same price as a DVD though, or as is
> right now higher than a DVD in most instances it is not going to fly and
> those UMD movies are going to collect dust in the stores.

For me it would have to be less than $10 even prob closer to $5. Maybe up
around $6.99 or $7.99 at the highest.

SDP81 wrote:

> My thoughts exactly, just use a portable DVD player, then you won't have to
> worry about multiple formats and you get the extra features, you can get
> some for less then 200 bucks nowadays and that is only half of a weekly
> check for most people.
about £100 for low end models in the uk, which is very good compared
to not too long ago... in fact I have just seen one for about £70
online, don't know how that translates into dollars... er... online
conversion says $133.544!

--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> SDP81 wrote:
>

>>My thoughts exactly, just use a portable DVD player, then you won't have to
>>worry about multiple formats and you get the extra features, you can get
>>some for less then 200 bucks nowadays and that is only half of a weekly
>>check for most people.
>
> about £100 for low end models in the uk, which is very good compared
> to not too long ago... in fact I have just seen one for about £70
> online, don't know how that translates into dollars... er... online
> conversion says $133.544!

There are some floating around out there in the $100-$120 range...not
the best by any means though. But they are out there.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Android wrote:
> I'm sure you've seen the new UMD movie releases priced at $29.99...the same
> movies that sell for $19.99 as a DVD with special features not present on
> the UMD version. There are also $14.99 UMD movies, thankfully, but
> unfortunately these aren't exactly AAA titles.
>
> Some of us will never buy a UMD movie no matter what. Some will get a 1 or
> 2 GB memory stick and rip a DVD to play off of it. But there has to be a
> few of us who would buy a UMD movie if it were priced right and if it was a
> film worth owning in multiple formats. Assuming that there will one day be
> a UMD player for the home, what movie would you buy for $15 on UMD? And
> would you be willing to pay $20 for it? Knowing that Sony wants to also
> attract the non-gamer crowd, what films do you think they ought to release
> on UMD even if you would never buy them personally?
>
> I'd buy some of the James Bond films, the original Star Wars trilogy, the
> Lord of the Rings trilogy, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Indiana Jones
> trilogy, Toy Story, the first Matrix, Replacement Killers, Star Trek: First
> Contact, The Incredibles, or X-Men for $15. Those aren't my favorite
> movies, but films that I think would be okay in "quick doses" on the PSP. I
> don't think I'd pay $20 for more than a couple of them, though. And I think
> they need to release classics (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, A Night at the
> Opera), and films that appeal to kids and families (Little Mermaid, Aladdin,
> Beauty & The Beast, The Wizard of Oz) and women. So far, all the movie
> releases seem geared at the stereotypical gamer audience--an 18 year-old
> male.
>
> Simpsons and Family Guy episodes would also be a great idea--you may not be
> in a place to watch a 2 hour movie on the PSP, but a 1/2 hour television
> show would be just enough time.

I dont think I would want to watch AAA movies on such a small screen.
Im sure you would miss alot of the impact of the movie.
I think it would be best for music videos, short comedy shows,
cartoons,etc.

"SDP81" <@wowway.com> wrote in message

> "Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in message
>>I personally believe due to the cost & limitations that movies on UMD
>> aren't going to be around for long. Right now I suspect it's the novelty
>> factor. There is a market segment I suppose, people who travel & don't
>> want
>> to carry a portable DVD player but I suspect that's a fairly small
>> market.
>> So unless the movies on UMD were roughly 1/2 the price of a DVD I'd be
>> unlikely to buy one since you are losing out on extras & the other
>> conveniences of a DVD.
>

> I would buy UMD movies only if there were a way to hook my PSP up to my PC
> to watch them on my monitor or Television to watch them there. I am
> hoping there is a way to hook the PSP up to the television to play games
> on the larger screen too. We shall see what happens.

You actually can do that if your memory stick is big enough. I have been
doing it quite a bit.

> Paul Heslop wrote:
>> SDP81 wrote:
>>

>>>My thoughts exactly, just use a portable DVD player, then you won't have
>>>worry about multiple formats and you get the extra features, you can get
>>>some for less then 200 bucks nowadays and that is only half of a weekly
>>>check for most people.
>>>------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> about £100 for low end models in the uk, which is very good compared
>> to not too long ago... in fact I have just seen one for about £70
>> online, don't know how that translates into dollars... er... online
>> conversion says $133.544!
>>

> There are some floating around out there in the $100-$120 range...not the
> best by any means though. But they are out there.

Im sure the worst portable DVD player is better than PSP at playing movies
;p

Android <androvich@nocomcastspam.net> wrote:
> I'm sure you've seen the new UMD movie releases priced at $29.99...the same
> movies that sell for $19.99 as a DVD with special features not present on
> the UMD version. There are also $14.99 UMD movies, thankfully, but
> unfortunately these aren't exactly AAA titles.

The big problem here is that even at $15 for a UMD title is overpriced. I
(and I'm sure many others) have all but given up buying new DVDs from
stores and have instead moved to online sites, or just rent from
Blockbuster or Netflix. Most movies are $15-20 online to begin with, so
buying a UMD for that much just doesn't make sense. Again, I wouldn't pay
more than $5-7 for a movie on UMD - MAYBE $10, but that'd be pushing it.
Especially since the movie would only be viewable on my PSP, as opposed to
a normal DVD that can be viewed on my home DVD player, laptop, computer,
or ripped, converted, and stored on a memory stick for my PSP...

> Some of us will never buy a UMD movie no matter what. Some will get a 1 or
> 2 GB memory stick and rip a DVD to play off of it. But there has to be a
> few of us who would buy a UMD movie if it were priced right and if it was a
> film worth owning in multiple formats. Assuming that there will one day be
> a UMD player for the home, what movie would you buy for $15 on UMD? And
> would you be willing to pay $20 for it? Knowing that Sony wants to also
> attract the non-gamer crowd, what films do you think they ought to release
> on UMD even if you would never buy them personally?

If Sony is serious about the PSP as a media center, they have to go after
things like TV shows. Survivor, 24, Lost, etc. In addition, they should
go after the growing segment interested in the new martial arts flicks, as
well as movies targetting the tween and teen markets. Not only do the
tween/teen demographics have a large amount of disposable income, but
you can then get them used to spending $15 or so for a portable movie and
as newer players/formats come out, these people will upgrade.

> I'd buy some of the James Bond films, the original Star Wars trilogy, the
> Lord of the Rings trilogy, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Indiana Jones
> trilogy, Toy Story, the first Matrix, Replacement Killers, Star Trek: First
> Contact, The Incredibles, or X-Men for $15. Those aren't my favorite
> movies, but films that I think would be okay in "quick doses" on the PSP. I
> don't think I'd pay $20 for more than a couple of them, though. And I think
> they need to release classics (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, A Night at the
> Opera), and films that appeal to kids and families (Little Mermaid, Aladdin,
> Beauty & The Beast, The Wizard of Oz) and women. So far, all the movie
> releases seem geared at the stereotypical gamer audience--an 18 year-old
> male.

I don't see a point to releasing Disney or other kiddie/family titles on
PSP. Most folks who want their kids to watch Disney while in the car are
going to have a car-mounted DVD player in the family minivan (seriously.)
Instead, Sony should position the PSP as something tween/teens can use to
express their independence and personality. Sure, they kids might be
watching Alladin in the car, but *you*, being the mature young person you
are, can watch, say, First Daughter, or whatever sorts of titles appeal to
the female crowd (sorry, not female, don't have a daughter.)

> Simpsons and Family Guy episodes would also be a great idea--you may not be
> in a place to watch a 2 hour movie on the PSP, but a 1/2 hour television
> show would be just enough time.

Yes, TV shows would be great on the PSP due to their relative shortness.

RnR Lesnar <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You can rip those 22 mintue episodes to the PSP and take up so little space
> that it just isn't worth putting them on UMD. I've even ripped a few looney
> tune cartoons from my Golden Collection and each of those is only about
> 15-20 megs at decent quality. I only have the 32 meg card right now, but
> when I get the gig, I'll improve the quality.

*shrug*

So put an entire season on an UMD. That way you could charge more for the
disc as well.

michael <michael@mailinator.com> wrote:

> I dont think I would want to watch AAA movies on such a small screen.
> Im sure you would miss alot of the impact of the movie.
> I think it would be best for music videos, short comedy shows,
> cartoons,etc.

I think it'd be fine for movies you wouldn't pay to see in a theater, but
would watch if you came across it on cable. But then again, that's why I
wouldn't pay more than $5-7 for such a title.

You can't put an entire season on a DVD, much less a UMD.

RnR Lesnar

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> RnR Lesnar <rnrnospamcartman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can rip those 22 mintue episodes to the PSP and take up so little
>> space
>> that it just isn't worth putting them on UMD. I've even ripped a few
>> looney
>> tune cartoons from my Golden Collection and each of those is only about
>> 15-20 megs at decent quality. I only have the 32 meg card right now, but
>> when I get the gig, I'll improve the quality.
>
> *shrug*
>
> So put an entire season on an UMD. That way you could charge more for the
> disc as well.

bc4

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> I'd buy some of the James Bond films, the original Star Wars trilogy, the
> Lord of the Rings trilogy, Back to the Future, Aliens, the Indiana Jones
> trilogy, Toy Story, the first Matrix, Replacement Killers, Star Trek:
> First
> Contact, The Incredibles, or X-Men for $15. Those aren't my favorite
> movies, but films that I think would be okay in "quick doses" on the PSP.
> don't think I'd pay $20 for more than a couple of them, though. And I
> think
> they need to release classics (Casablanca, Citizen Kane, A Night at the
> Opera), and films that appeal to kids and families (Little Mermaid,
> Aladdin,
> Beauty & The Beast, The Wizard of Oz) and women. So far, all the movie
> releases seem geared at the stereotypical gamer audience--an 18 year-old
> male.

I want "Dawn of The Dead" - the remake OR the original - I could watch them
over and over.

Also anime would be awesome. Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, anything from studio
Ghibili, et cetera.

And music videos - those would be PERFECT for the PSP. Imagine UMB Singles,
with audio, video, pictures, and maybe even links to the websites - all
bitesize multimedia contents that wouldn't drain too much battery, be great
ways to showcase the PSP's (and UMD's) multimedia capabilities, AND would be
mainstream enough to not only help promote the UMD format, but would also
help promote the artists and generate extra revenue for the record
companies...

<=[BC]=>

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

> And music videos - those would be PERFECT for the PSP. Imagine UMB
> Singles, with audio, video, pictures, and maybe even links to the
> websites - all bitesize multimedia contents that wouldn't drain too much
> battery, be great ways to showcase the PSP's (and UMD's) multimedia
> capabilities, AND would be mainstream enough to not only help promote the
> UMD format, but would also help promote the artists and generate extra
> revenue for the record companies...

Like the MiniDisk did?

BC wrote in alt.games.video.sony-playstation2:

> Also anime would be awesome. Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, anything from
> studio Ghibili, et cetera.

Bandai Visual is planning on offering anime on UMD -- the first title
will be "Eureka Seven", to be offered in a DVD/UMD bundle:

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8109

Bandai Entertainment is also planning on releasing anime movies on UMD
here in the US -- most notably "Escaflowne the Movie", "Gundam SEED: The
Movie I", and one other as yet unnamed title -- later this year,
possibly at a $19.99 price point, but not bundled with the corresponding
DVD:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6524

OTOH, when the prospect of anime on UMD was mentioned in
rec.arts.anime.misc, some people seemed rather unimpressed:

http://tinyurl.com/apbzw

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
Sergeant-at-Arms, Indiana Animation Club (www.indyanime.org)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>
>> And music videos - those would be PERFECT for the PSP. Imagine UMB
>> Singles, with audio, video, pictures, and maybe even links to the
>> websites - all bitesize multimedia contents that wouldn't drain too much
>> battery, be great ways to showcase the PSP's (and UMD's) multimedia
>> capabilities, AND would be mainstream enough to not only help promote the
>> UMD format, but would also help promote the artists and generate extra
>> revenue for the record companies...
>
> Like the MiniDisk did?

I've only ever known ONE person to ever own an MD player.

bc4

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Some of us will never buy a UMD movie no matter what. Some will get a 1
> or
> 2 GB memory stick and rip a DVD to play off of it. But there has to be a
> few of us who would buy a UMD movie if it were priced right and if it was
> film worth owning in multiple formats. Assuming that there will one day
> be
> a UMD player for the home, what movie would you buy for $15 on UMD? And
> would you be willing to pay $20 for it? Knowing that Sony wants to also
> attract the non-gamer crowd, what films do you think they ought to release
> on UMD even if you would never buy them personally?

They should have extra PSP content available on these movie UMDs. Imagine
having a zombie mini game on "Resident Evil" or "Dawn of The Dead", or a
driving game on "The Itailian Job"? Or even having extra maps, costumes and
such bonus material that would download from the UMB to the memory stick.
Getting the "Spider-man 2" UMD for example might give you an extra costume
and/or access to new villians for the PSP "Spider-man 2" game. That should
increase the sales of the UMD movies, or at the very least increase the
interest and number of rentals of these movies...

<=[BC]=>

Interesting post. Thanks.