ATI Rage Fury Maxx - Need Help

G

My son and I just built a system with: Abit KT7-Raid mobo, 900 MHz THunderbird, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64MB, SoundBlaster 128 PCI, internal modem, CD-ROM, CD-RW, WIN 98SE. Had problems getting the video card to work - kept getting "Windows Protection Error - restart cpu" message while booting, unless the video was set to 16 colors and low resolution. After talking with ATI, downloaded updated VIA chip driver from Via Tech, 4 in 1(including AGP). After installing the new drivers, continued to get the same message. Finally after the fourth install of the updated via chip drivers, the video card started working properly. Am able to burn CD's, use MS Works, but when playing games system freezes/locks up (ctrl-alt-del does not work, have to use power button to restart). For example, when playing MS Flight Simulator game plays fine for app. 15 min. then all by itself exits to the desktop and system freezes up. Or in Delta Force, can complete one mission but when attempting to start another mission system locks up. Also, system locked up during installation of another game. Considering the problems we had getting the video card to work, is the video card causing the crashes? If not what else could it be? What can we try? Thanks.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I assume you have upgraded the video card driver. Make sure it is listed correctly in device manager. Also check to see if IRQ settings are being shared and see if you can change it. Sometimes you have to move a card to a different slot. Which 4in1 drivers are you using, I find v4.26 to be the most stable. Also see if there is an update to your motherboard BIOS.

I had to upgrade (clean install) my OS with WinMe to get mine to be stable. People using Win2000 rave about its stabilty.

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James