Replace pc power supply on old pentium 4

lanstrad

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Not too sure here : should I understand that on an old Pentium 4, on ASUS P4B533 motherboard, some old IDE drives but would add one or two SATA (through a PCI card that has SATA connectors) - as I intend to use that machine as a file server on Linux now... : thus, would any modern PSU do the job safely? (Mine is 350 or 380 volts....) I would go for around the same or 400 watts more or less.

Reason for replacing: fan on the other became extremely noisy with time. Tried to oil it, but to no success.

Thanks,
Rob

Solution
a really just take a look at the specs and make sure it has all the right connections that you need for it and there shouldn't be a problem, you can probably get away with something pretty cheap too.

cylemmulo

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
a really just take a look at the specs and make sure it has all the right connections that you need for it and there shouldn't be a problem, you can probably get away with something pretty cheap too.

Solution

lanstrad

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks to both of you. Indeed replaced the psu and work like a charm , now with sata power cabling (although would have been ok to just use other means. But also to discover the noise did not come from old psu fan (my main reason for replacing... as i had eliminated the cpu fan as possible source ...) but discovered the ATI graphic card to be the noise problem!!...

Well... $50 i could have put on a bigger drive but....