Installing XP SATA HDD on NEW HP Computer Question

coverland

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I have an older Dell that I purchased a 1TB Baracuda SATA HDD for about a year ago. The Dell has crashed recently with a MB failure and I'd like to pick up a new HP on sale at my local store and install this HDD into it. The existing HDD is a Baracuda SATA Seagate and has XPpro on it with a ton of family info that I don't want to just lose and start over with so again.

I'm hoping to purchase a new machine, remove the new Windows 7 OEM HDD and install mine in hopes I'll be up and running before long on a new machine with my existing HDD. Any ideas or pointers on this approach? What should I look for (if anything)? Thanks

HP machine I was looking at:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-1TB-p7-1003wb/16595246

Outlander is right. You will not be able to boot from the drive. Install it as a secondary drive. Then you will have access to all of your data.

You were lucky. The Dell could have crashed with a hard drive failure. And that could have cost you all of your data. Backups this time?

coverland

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really not overly anxious to get into Windows 7. I have it on a laptop and there's quite a bit of XP software investment that wont run directly on W7 (Home Pro). any experience with Windows 7 Ultimate?