Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What is a good 850w Power Supply?

Last response: in Components
Share
March 15, 2012 4:51:20 AM

Okay I am building a new pc and I know absolutely nothing about PSU's. I will be putting an ivy bridge 3770k in it and gtx 680 in (when they come out). I will be using a asus p8z68 gen3 pro motherboard in it. I want a 850w in order to future proof it. Any suggestiOns?

Oh and also, how to I tell what Psu will be compatible with my other parts? What do I look at?

More about : good 850w power supply

a c 104 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 5:39:18 AM

There is a Psu guide sticky up top,
I love my TX850v2, solid as a rock, if you get one make sure it is the V2 though
Moto
Score
0
March 15, 2012 5:48:35 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
There is a Psu guide sticky up top,
I love my TX850v2, solid as a rock, if you get one make sure it is the V2 though
Moto


Nice! Thanks! I looked up the TX850v2 and it has a great price. I might get it.
Score
0
Related resources
March 15, 2012 6:07:32 AM

I'm now looking at the Xfx core edition pro850w Psu that is on the recommended list on this site. It has an incredible price.
Score
0
March 15, 2012 6:25:19 AM

How do I tell if the Xfx core edition pro850w will support my gpu?
Score
0
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 6:32:40 AM

theres a lot of psu calculators online, one I use is here,
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
one thing to note, where it says Cpu, you only have one physical Cpu so make sure you select that one, (even though you probably have a multi-core, its still only one processor)
build your rig into that for a rough idea of requirements, and remember to allow yourself some headroom too
Moto
Score
0
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 6:34:18 AM

although you may have to google the cards power requirement, as it isn't released yet, and add that to your calculated result yourself
Moto
Score
0
March 15, 2012 6:49:11 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
although you may have to google the cards power requirement, as it isn't released yet, and add that to your calculated result yourself
Moto



Maybe I am overthinking all of this. Is there more factors on a PSU to check to see if it is compatible with a certain GPU than the amount of power (watts)? Or is that it?
Score
0
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 8:27:31 AM

Both the GTX480 and GTX580 need 25 amps peaking to 30 amps. I cannot see the GTX680 needing substantially more power than that. 30 amps is also just about the upper limit for a video card with two PCIe power plugs.

Both the Corsair and XFX 850 have a single 70 amp 12 volt rail, so either will have plenty of power in reserve when used with a single GTX680..

There are several factors involved with selecting a PSU for a certain GPU.

First, and most important, is the amount of current on the 12 volt output(s). Second is the total power. Third is the number of PCI power plugs for the video cards.

If a PSU has enough 12 volt power but not enough PCI power plugs, you can use a molex to PCI adapter. But that is really not a preferable choice.
Score
0
March 15, 2012 8:48:26 AM

jsc said:
Both the GTX480 and GTX580 need 25 amps peaking to 30 amps. I cannot see the GTX680 needing substantially more power than that. 30 amps is also just about the upper limit for a video card with two PCIe power plugs.

Both the Corsair and XFX 850 have a single 70 amp 12 volt rail, so either will have plenty of power in reserve when used with a single GTX680..

There are several factors involved with selecting a PSU for a certain GPU.

First, and most important, is the amount of current on the 12 volt output(s). Second is the total power. Third is the number of PCI power plugs for the video cards.

If a PSU has enough 12 volt power but not enough PCI power plugs, you can use a molex to PCI adapter. But that is really not a preferable choice.


Okay so would the Xfx core edition pro850w be able to handle 2/Sli gtx 580's and potentially 2/sli gtx 680's?
Score
0
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 9:49:02 AM

Nvidia have released a 680 specs page, they say draw is about 190w so two non-overclocked cards will require 400w (ish) just for them
http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-68...
this is non-overclocked ofc, once you start clocking cards up, the power draw goes up as well,
but so far it looks ok for the Psu you selected
Moto
Score
0
March 15, 2012 10:05:38 AM

Okay thanks guys. But I am still very confused on the rails and amps stuff. How does the gpu requirements for that work exactly?
Score
0
March 15, 2012 10:24:25 AM

Omfg. I am dumb. I think I understand the rail thing now. Tell me if im right: So the Xfx has a 70amp rail. Which means it has a total of 850watts because amps(70) times volts(12) equals watts (840). Am I right? I can't believe I didn't see that. It has been a long time since I have messed with math that includes watts, volts, and amps.
Score
0
March 15, 2012 10:30:43 AM

I have the Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular PSU . Does what it says on the tin,80+ rated and VERY quiet.

80 amp rail ,five year G'tee...Goes well.
Score
0
March 15, 2012 10:35:36 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Nvidia have released a 680 specs page, they say draw is about 190w so two non-overclocked cards will require 400w (ish) just for them
http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-68...
this is non-overclocked ofc, once you start clocking cards up, the power draw goes up as well,
but so far it looks ok for the Psu you selected
Moto


So that means 15 amps required on rail?
Score
0

Best solution

a c 104 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 10:53:10 AM

Per card, then you also have other things running off the 12v, I personally wouldn't buy a Psu with less than 40A available anyway, especially not for a crossfire/sli build,
your Xfx or the Tx will do fine, as Jsc mentioned
Moto
Share
March 15, 2012 4:25:21 PM

Best answer selected by Destroyer432.
Score
0
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 15, 2012 5:29:31 PM

Thank you for B.a. man, Glad to help
Moto
Score
0
!