What is a good 850w Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Okay I am building a new pc and I know absolutely nothing about PSU's. I will be putting an ivy bridge 3770k in it and gtx 680 in (when they come out). I will be using a asus p8z68 gen3 pro motherboard in it. I want a 850w in order to future proof it. Any suggestiOns?

Oh and also, how to I tell what Psu will be compatible with my other parts? What do I look at?

Solution
Per card, then you also have other things running off the 12v, I personally wouldn't buy a Psu with less than 40A available anyway, especially not for a crossfire/sli build,
your Xfx or the Tx will do fine, as Jsc mentioned
Moto

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Nice! Thanks! I looked up the TX850v2 and it has a great price. I might get it.

theres a lot of psu calculators online, one I use is here,
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
one thing to note, where it says Cpu, you only have one physical Cpu so make sure you select that one, (even though you probably have a multi-core, its still only one processor)
build your rig into that for a rough idea of requirements, and remember to allow yourself some headroom too
Moto

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Maybe I am overthinking all of this. Is there more factors on a PSU to check to see if it is compatible with a certain GPU than the amount of power (watts)? Or is that it?

Both the GTX480 and GTX580 need 25 amps peaking to 30 amps. I cannot see the GTX680 needing substantially more power than that. 30 amps is also just about the upper limit for a video card with two PCIe power plugs.

Both the Corsair and XFX 850 have a single 70 amp 12 volt rail, so either will have plenty of power in reserve when used with a single GTX680..

There are several factors involved with selecting a PSU for a certain GPU.

First, and most important, is the amount of current on the 12 volt output(s). Second is the total power. Third is the number of PCI power plugs for the video cards.

If a PSU has enough 12 volt power but not enough PCI power plugs, you can use a molex to PCI adapter. But that is really not a preferable choice.

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Okay so would the Xfx core edition pro850w be able to handle 2/Sli gtx 580's and potentially 2/sli gtx 680's?

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Omfg. I am dumb. I think I understand the rail thing now. Tell me if im right: So the Xfx has a 70amp rail. Which means it has a total of 850watts because amps(70) times volts(12) equals watts (840). Am I right? I can't believe I didn't see that. It has been a long time since I have messed with math that includes watts, volts, and amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.