Sign in with
Your question
Solved

560ti 3 displays/switching

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2011 9:52:18 PM

Ok, so I have tried to figure this out on my own to little avail.

I have a dual monitor setup right now, but I am going to be getting a projector soon that I would like to hook up to the computer as well.

I know I can't display all 3 at once, and I don't even really want to. I want to be able to switch the output between my second monitor and the projector.

Also, I would like the audio to be sent to the projector (receiver really) through the card. I am not sure if I can do this with a DVI to HDMI cable, or do I need a mini-HDMI to HDMI?

What I would really like to be able to do is leave both DVI monitors plugged in, and have the receiver connected via the mini-HDMI port and switch the displays via windows or Nvidia control panel, etc. Is this possible? Is it safe to have 3 outputs hooked up to the card at once?

Thanks!
October 15, 2011 7:08:46 AM

Any ideas? I am finding it incredibly difficult to find any information on this, as most people want to hook up 3 monitors simultaneously.

If nothing else, is it safe to hotswap the HDMI and DVI cables? I have read that it shouldn't be a problem for DVI, but not sure about HDMI
m
l
October 15, 2011 7:34:36 AM

No IGP?
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2011 7:42:52 AM

etk said:
No IGP?

Nope.
m
l
October 22, 2011 12:20:49 AM

Well I went ahead and took the risk of just trying it out, turns out it works even better than I was hoping for!

Just wanted to say so in case anyone else was wondering about the same thing.

With 3 displays plugged in all 3 are recognized, but only 2 will work (as expected). It is easy to change which displays are being used within display properties. It even remembers my settings so that it automatically switches modes when I turn on the projector, and back to my dual monitors when I turn it off. Awesome!
m
l

Best solution

November 1, 2011 6:07:57 PM

Thank you so much for posting your results, triindiglo! You are the only person I've seen to post results on doing this.

I am looking at getting a 560 ti (depending on Black Friday sales) and will be creating the exact same setup and was wondering if I would need extra adapters/switches to get it all working.
November 2, 2011 10:47:17 AM

Thanks for posting your results. I was going to try to use my mini-hdmi and two dvi outputs in a three monitor setup until I could pick up another 580 to SLI, You just saved me some time.
m
l
November 9, 2011 12:37:50 AM

Best answer selected by triindiglo.
m
l
!