560ti 3 displays/switching

triindiglo

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Ok, so I have tried to figure this out on my own to little avail.

I have a dual monitor setup right now, but I am going to be getting a projector soon that I would like to hook up to the computer as well.

I know I can't display all 3 at once, and I don't even really want to. I want to be able to switch the output between my second monitor and the projector.

Also, I would like the audio to be sent to the projector (receiver really) through the card. I am not sure if I can do this with a DVI to HDMI cable, or do I need a mini-HDMI to HDMI?

What I would really like to be able to do is leave both DVI monitors plugged in, and have the receiver connected via the mini-HDMI port and switch the displays via windows or Nvidia control panel, etc. Is this possible? Is it safe to have 3 outputs hooked up to the card at once?

Thanks!

Solution
Thank you so much for posting your results, triindiglo! You are the only person I've seen to post results on doing this.

I am looking at getting a 560 ti (depending on Black Friday sales) and will be creating the exact same setup and was wondering if I would need extra adapters/switches to get it all working.

triindiglo

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Any ideas? I am finding it incredibly difficult to find any information on this, as most people want to hook up 3 monitors simultaneously.

If nothing else, is it safe to hotswap the HDMI and DVI cables? I have read that it shouldn't be a problem for DVI, but not sure about HDMI

triindiglo

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Well I went ahead and took the risk of just trying it out, turns out it works even better than I was hoping for!

Just wanted to say so in case anyone else was wondering about the same thing.

With 3 displays plugged in all 3 are recognized, but only 2 will work (as expected). It is easy to change which displays are being used within display properties. It even remembers my settings so that it automatically switches modes when I turn on the projector, and back to my dual monitors when I turn it off. Awesome!

Vyres

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Thank you so much for posting your results, triindiglo! You are the only person I've seen to post results on doing this.

I am looking at getting a 560 ti (depending on Black Friday sales) and will be creating the exact same setup and was wondering if I would need extra adapters/switches to get it all working.

Solution

bms85

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for posting your results. I was going to try to use my mini-hdmi and two dvi outputs in a three monitor setup until I could pick up another 580 to SLI, You just saved me some time.

TRENDING THREADS