I vacuumed my pc

mak1rby

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
hi everybody
i want to ask you guys a question..
just now i vacuumed my computer and try to turn it on but it kept on turning on and off..
i just found out that you cannot vacuum your computer because it creates static electricity or stuff like that

what can i do to make my pc run again? please help ..
by the way i dont build this pc myself.. and i'm from a little town in asia so cant go to nowhere, and its 6 in evening here but 6 morning there so sorry to ask so early

Solution
Didn't you check the PSU fan when we asked you to earlier? I had made it a point to mention PSU fan because of the Vacuum, and you replied with they're all working fine. OK, the PSU is overheating and before it fries the Mobo, better replace it.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Vacuuming does not hurt a computer. You probably bumped something. Unplug it and make sure all your connectors are seated on the mobo and the drives. If that fails, take your RAM out and put it back in (observing static precautions when you do). I get up at 5 weekdays and about 6:30 weekends.

mak1rby

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

ive done that like 3 times.. no luck.. please help..

Lol. well, it's about the same time here...... and it ain't restricted to timezones so no problem.
Just check when you hit the power switch on the rig, do any of the fans move?
especially the PSU fan & CPU fan.
You might have sucked the CPU HSF fan pin off the header if you were using the Vacuum under suction mode and not blower mode.

mak1rby

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

:lol:
all of the fans moved.. but it keeps on turning on off on off on off and never stops so i cut off the electricity
honestly i suck at this things.. i cant even take out my heatsink (corsair h70 as i recall) or take out my graphic card because i'm just afraid it'll break or something so i just vacuumed it from outside ..

mavroxur

Distinguished

Absolutely wrong. Vacuuming generates a LOT of static electricity. It's NEVER recommended to put a vacuum brush inside a computer. ALWAYS use compressed air.

@OP - you might go ahead and check all jumpers and cable connections, but i'm going to lean torwards "fried", probably by ESD from vacuuming.

Confused Turtle

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
My computer gets static from being on the ground fairly often, and refuses to turn on. When this happens, I unplug it, then hold the power button down for up to 10 seconds-ish, then plug it back in and it works.

I thought vaccuuming it was ok only if it wasn't a certain type of hose, like metal or something, but I'm not sure....

and OP, try it with the bare minimium plugged in, just the mobo + hard drives :)

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
esd=electro static discharge. mavroxur is correct, you can generate a lot of esd by vacuuming, especially in a dry environment. Check your front panel connectors especially since they are more easily unplugged than any other connectors.

mak1rby

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

trying it right now

in my home its very dry.. ok i'm checking it now..

Didn't you check the PSU fan when we asked you to earlier? I had made it a point to mention PSU fan because of the Vacuum, and you replied with they're all working fine. OK, the PSU is overheating and before it fries the Mobo, better replace it.

Solution

mak1rby

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
@^ i think it worked from outside when i checked the fan with my hands but i recheck all the parts and turned the case , feel the fan and its not working..
ok now.. i just replace my psu like 1 months ago.. because it explodes
now i gotta replace it again lol.. ok thx all :D :'(