themirror

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
My pc's running a 2500k with stock cooler.(I haven't overclocked yet).And the GPU is 6870.
While playing BF 2, the CPU temperature reached 75c and the fan is running@3000rpm.The GPU temp is 80c.
The GPU temp looks normal but the CPU's temp is panicking me.The cpu temp when browsing and video playback is 45-55c is this normal?

Solution
75C is high = but not critically high. I imagine the high speed fan is slightly annoying?
GPU @ 80C is in the normal range.

You might have reached the upper limits of your system cooling capacity.
How is your case ventilated?
75C is high = but not critically high. I imagine the high speed fan is slightly annoying?
GPU @ 80C is in the normal range.

You might have reached the upper limits of your system cooling capacity.
How is your case ventilated?

Solution
OK......thats about right in a 30C room. If the ambient temp (room temp) would have been 20C we'd probably have seen idle temps of 35-40C which is expected.

30C ambient temps also explain 75C while gaming. Cooling capacity works with 'rise above ambient' method.

When you get a chance - do some gaming in a 20C room if you can. See if your game load temps stay under 70C.

themirror

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
It's really hot in India now.Room temps in summer sometimes hit 35 too_One thing I may have mistakenly pointed is the temps don't stay at 75 all the time(while gaming).They're between 65-70.

You can change the CPU cooler and get the temps under better control. It should give you an option to do some light overclocking.
You're getting a 40C rise above ambient (30C-70C) with your stock cooler.
Some of the better aftermarket coolers have under a 20C rise above ambient.

Until then, you may need to schedule your gaming to the cooler parts of the day/night.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Those temps are high, even in idle.
My ultimate advise is for you to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler(air/liquid)

laircouk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Regarding aqe040466 post, I would also recommend you to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooler. However, if you want to play SAFE, please consider looking at Air-Cooling solution. They are cheaper, safer and doesn't damage other components like water - cooling solution.

Secondly, if you're about to change / upgrade heat-sink, please buy / consider non-metal thermal substance. You really don't want to short-circuit your System / CPU...

Recommended Thermal Paste: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-003-AR&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=27

Gaming puts varying loads on your CPU and GPU making overall assessments difficult. You more assuredly assess the situation by running standardized load tests. In this manner the performance can be compared to other system's performance under the same standardized loadings.

Personally, I prefer OCCT's program as it includes both CPU and GPU loading programs. It also includes built in temperature and voltage monitoring, alarm sounds, recording and graphing of results over the test period and auto termination of the test if temps exceed preset limits.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

I set my OC's to be < 80 on the GPU's and < 75 on the CPU when under full load using these utilities.

1. It's a safe bet that nothing I'm ever going to run will ever approach these loads.

2. It gives me a baseline as to whether I'm getting all I can outta my set up by being able to compare my temps "apples and apples" versus against other similar setups.

I used to run Prime95 overnight as my final test but after getting to the point that the 20th "final test" was not, failing, showing me anything to worry about or forcing me to turn down my OC's, I stopped bothering.