Yet Another Dead Pixel Question

Ok, now I realize that some PSP units come out of the box with some
dead pixels and some come out of the box clean, so my question isn't a
rehash regarding that.

What I'm curious about is if any dead pixels develop after the fact,
meaning do dead pixels developing after you've owned it/played it? I'm
wondering that if I get my hands on a clean PSP out of the box does
that mean I should be dead-pixel-free going forward? If so I can't
definitely live with that.

I was told that since dead pixels are a manufacturing process, that no
further dead pixels should develop but I wanted to get answers from
current owners.
4 answers Last reply
More about dead pixel question

    Robert P Holley wrote:
    > Ok, now I realize that some PSP units come out of the box with some
    > dead pixels and some come out of the box clean, so my question isn't
    > rehash regarding that.
    >
    > What I'm curious about is if any dead pixels develop after the fact,
    > meaning do dead pixels developing after you've owned it/played it?
    I'm
    > wondering that if I get my hands on a clean PSP out of the box does
    > that mean I should be dead-pixel-free going forward? If so I can't
    > definitely live with that.
    >
    > I was told that since dead pixels are a manufacturing process, that
    no
    > further dead pixels should develop but I wanted to get answers from
    > current owners.

    I could have sworn that my new PSP did not have any dead pixels on it
    for a few days after purchase, I remember tilting the PSP all
    different directions with a completely lit background looking for them
    and I didn't notice anything. However, I have now noticed at least one
    since then. It stood out like a sore thumb once I noticed it, although
    now it doesn't seem so bad. Whether the pixel was always dead or 'died'
    I really can't answer, although I do tend to think that I just didn't
    notice it at first.

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, now I realize that some PSP units come out of the box with some
    > dead pixels and some come out of the box clean, so my question isn't a
    > rehash regarding that.
    >
    > What I'm curious about is if any dead pixels develop after the fact,
    > meaning do dead pixels developing after you've owned it/played it? I'm
    > wondering that if I get my hands on a clean PSP out of the box does
    > that mean I should be dead-pixel-free going forward? If so I can't
    > definitely live with that.

    The weird thing is that two of my "stuck" pixels went away and no more have
    developed. My wife's still has a dead pixel free screen but she doesn't use
    hers a fraction of how much I use mine.

    > I was told that since dead pixels are a manufacturing process, that no
    > further dead pixels should develop but I wanted to get answers from
    > current owners.

    I haven't seen it but I guess I was dealing with "stuck" pixels that are
    able to fix themselves.

    "D Turkin" <duck_turkin@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Robert P Holley wrote:
    >> Ok, now I realize that some PSP units come out of the box with some
    >> dead pixels and some come out of the box clean, so my question isn't
    >> rehash regarding that.
    >>
    >> What I'm curious about is if any dead pixels develop after the fact,
    >> meaning do dead pixels developing after you've owned it/played it?
    > I'm
    >> wondering that if I get my hands on a clean PSP out of the box does
    >> that mean I should be dead-pixel-free going forward? If so I can't
    >> definitely live with that.
    >>
    >> I was told that since dead pixels are a manufacturing process, that
    > no
    >> further dead pixels should develop but I wanted to get answers from
    >> current owners.
    >
    > I could have sworn that my new PSP did not have any dead pixels on it
    > for a few days after purchase, I remember tilting the PSP all
    > different directions with a completely lit background looking for them
    > and I didn't notice anything. However, I have now noticed at least one
    > since then. It stood out like a sore thumb once I noticed it, although
    > now it doesn't seem so bad. Whether the pixel was always dead or 'died'
    > I really can't answer, although I do tend to think that I just didn't
    > notice it at first.

    That happened to me also. I had a couple of stuck pixels but at the bottom
    now ive noticed 2 that werent there before but closer to the center. I
    noticed while i was watching the spiderman movie just the other day. I dont
    remember these ones being there before.

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote

    > What I'm curious about is if any dead pixels develop after the fact,
    > meaning do dead pixels developing after you've owned it/played it? I'm
    > wondering that if I get my hands on a clean PSP out of the box does
    > that mean I should be dead-pixel-free going forward?

    Never owned a laptop?

    Dead and hot pixels are the nature of the LCD beast as they age -- even more
    so as LCD's become more and more sensitive with higherresolutions. In my
    sixteen years of owning laptops, I can say that the number one post
    manufacturer pixel killer is temperature variation. Keep the PSP away from
    the sun. Don't keep it in a parked car duing the cold winter. If you bring
    it inside out of the cold, let it sit for a little while before powering it
    up so condensation won't kill any pixels. Everything else is a draw of the
    straws...

    My last three laptops developed a handful of dead pixels after a few years.
    My PDA has two, GBA-SP has one (plus dust from Nintendo), Nintendo DS hasn't
    formed any (yet). Yet, the old clunker laptop I still have since 1989 has
    remained completely clean. My old Sega Nomad is also completely clean. Go
    figure.

    Don't have the PSP (yet), but I'm wondering if a portion of these "dead
    pixels" might just be trapped dust. The Nintendo GBA-SP had that problem
    when it was first released. I took my GBA-SP apart when I first got it to
    clean out trapped dust. I believe Nintendo was attempting to crank them out
    so quickly that they allowed QC to slide. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony is
    doing the same.

    If it has pixel (or even dust) problems coming right from Sony, I'd return
    it. Other than keeping it from temperature extremes, I wouldn't worry about
    what might happen down the road though. Nothing in life is perfect.

    Just my pennies to toss on the ground.

    Cheers,
    -Eric

Console Gaming PlayStation Video Games