XP Desktop themes/ display gone

laura

My computer was "updated" while I was on vacation, by an
outside technician who charged us a ton of money.
I returned to find my desktop & windows settings have all
reverted to Windows Classic. Also, the names under each
icon on the desktop is surrounded by a colored box, which
is really really irritating. I can change the color of the
box, but can't make it disappear.
When I go try to choose a theme or appearance (by right-
clicking on the desktop, then choosing properties) the
only choices avaible are Windows Classic or sometmes
Windows Standard. No XP choices are there, and when I try
to browse online, it pops right back to Classic.
I'm afraid if I try to reload Windows XP (which I don't
even know how to do) then all the updates that were loaded
in last week will be gone.
How can I get my XP settings back?

McFly

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2003

With any luck, all he did was remove the windows performance settings. All
you should have to do is right-click on "my computer" on your desktop, click
properties, select the advanced tab, then in the box for "performance" click
settings. then select
"let windows choose what's best for my computer" click Apply, then okay and
you're done. That should work.