Pls help me its my first gaming PC

I got a quote from a shop that will do me a custom built pc for gaming however was on a very low budget so i know i wont get a top perrformance gaming pc.

Anyway they gave me a quote for one they could do and it said that the comp is a...

Acer PC with an Intel i7 2.8Ghz processor, 4GB of ram memory, only 500GB hard drive, DVDRW, GT220 1GB graphics card, windows 7 Home Premium and a 19" widescreen monitor including keyboard and mouse for £600 all together.

To me this sounds like quite a good deal however they were honest and said the graphics card could be much better and that the i7 is faster than any i5 but is still at the low end of all the i7's.

this is all bang n my budget but i want to know if this is an alright gaming system for me as it will be my first gaming PC.

Also is it worth maybe when it comes round to my birthday sometime after christmas is it woth spending £30 to get 8GB of ram put in andanother £30 on a TB hard drive?
5 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. Which I7? I would recommend the I5-2500K over any I7 for gaming. The major difference between the I5 and I7 Sandy Bridge chips is the I7 has Hyper threading, which you won't need for gaming. Take what you would save on the CPU and try to get a better graphics card. As far as the 8GB goes, unless you are getting the 64-bit version of Windows, you won't be able to use more than 4GB. If you can get a 1TB drive for 30 pounds, that's not bad.

    Have you considered buying the parts and putting it together yourself?
  2. I think that sounds a bit expensive but I suppose that includes labour charges to put the machine together. I scouted eBuyer and found some good components that I would recommend.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/321924-amd-motherboard-bundle-including-amd-athlon-ii-x4-640-processor-asus-m5a78l-m-640-m5al-mlxv2-4gb

    http://www.ebuyer.com/232760-extra-value-4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-memory-module-evrddr3-4gb

    http://www.ebuyer.com/248746-powercolor-hd-6850-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dp-out-pci-e-graphics-ax6850-1gbd5-dh

    The cost to build this:
    Quad Core 3GHz
    3GB DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 850 1GB DDR5
    £252.97

    Then all you need to do is search find the cheapest hard drive with enough space, a DVD-RW, a PSU and a case that you like. This will play all of the newest games at high settings. You get a free battlefield 3 download coupon too! It’s really not hard to screw together your own system and it’s also really enjoyable. There are plenty of videos on YouTube with people walking you through it. All of the components just slot together.
  3. Ian-Mac said:
    I think that sounds a bit expensive but I suppose that includes labour charges to put the machine together. I scouted eBuyer and found some good components that I would recommend.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/321924-amd-motherboard-bundle-including-amd-athlon-ii-x4-640-processor-asus-m5a78l-m-640-m5al-mlxv2-4gb

    http://www.ebuyer.com/232760-extra-value-4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-memory-module-evrddr3-4gb

    http://www.ebuyer.com/248746-powercolor-hd-6850-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dp-out-pci-e-graphics-ax6850-1gbd5-dh

    The cost to build this:
    Quad Core 3GHz
    3GB DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 850 1GB DDR5
    £252.97
    .


    That MB link shows 4GB of ram already in the bundle, not 3. Adding the extra value 4 GB module is a bad idea. It is never a good idea to mix different brands of RAM, even if there is an open slot on the MB(that MB is a Micro ATX and only has two memory slots. The 4GB included ram might use both slots(2X2GB), the listing is not specific.
  4. clarkjd said:
    That MB link shows 4GB of ram already in the bundle, not 3. Adding the extra value 4 GB module is a bad idea. It is never a good idea to mix different brands of RAM, even if there is an open slot on the MB(that MB is a Micro ATX and only has two memory slots. The 4GB included ram might use both slots(2X2GB), the listing is not specific.


    I have no idea why I wrote 3GB. I had just woken up when I typed this. You are very right though. I had meant to say 8GB. The listing says it comes with a 4GB module. I have seen similar listings where it has said that they come with 4GB(2x2GB). This is not the case for this listing so we are safe to presume that it comes with a 4GB module.

    I have never heard of mixed brands failing to work providing they are of the same frequency which I have been sure to take into account when making the suggestion for the extra stick of RAM.
  5. Anonymous said:


    Acer PC with an Intel i7 2.8Ghz processor, 4GB of ram memory, only 500GB hard drive, DVDRW, GT220 1GB graphics card, windows 7 Home Premium and a 19" widescreen monitor including keyboard and mouse for £600 all together.


    That's pretty much the worst choices you could make for building a gaming system. If they don't know better where you shop, go somewhere else. For a gaming system the graphics card is NUMBER ONE, an i7 is pointless. i3 + 6950 would be better than that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Gaming Intel i7 Graphics Cards Systems